The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to deal with the loss of a horse?

Very sad day for me ....

Our 40 year old pony Bob passed away last night. He went down in his stall, and basically his heart gave out. I am completly distraught. He taught 100's a kids to ride, he had more wisdom the many people, he was a lover and a fighter. All of my life he has been at the barn... now he is gone and I don't think I will ever feel the same about the barn.

He is running free in the wind. He is laying down in a grassy field... something he has no been able to do for years now. I miss him so much. How do you deal?

I dread the day that I will have to deal with this . . .

I'm sorry for you. I do believe our beloved pets stay and wait for us to join them someday. That does make it easier (at least with the dogs I've lost).

{{HUGS}} I am Sorry for your loss...old friends are very hard to lose. We lost the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian after 18 awsome years together...not nearly enough time IMHO. That was last December and my heart breaks every time I go by his stall. Or see his picture. Or some well meaning person asks about him. You deal..one day at time. Days you cry...days you smile. The smile days are a tiny bit more frequent now and he will live on in my heart forever.
    These pictures were taken on his 20th birthday..just another old decrepit pony (NOT) celebrating life.
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o120/macmtn/
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

So very sorry for your loss. Sounds like pony had an awesome life with you, and what a long one... though I know, no amount of time is ever enough.

I lost my gelding last September, and some days I think of him and can barely breathe, it hurts so badly.

Not sure you ever "get over" it. Just find a way to keep going, I guess....

Hugs to you. Take care.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm still trying to figure out how to cope. My heart just hurts from losing Linus in January and even just reading this topic has brought me to tears again. If someone figures out how to handle - let me know.

I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss!!! Like the others said, it does get easier and you will have your good and bad days. Today marks one year since I lost Disco. I am finally at a point where I can look at pictures of him and talk about him without losing it. This morning I walked by the memory pot I had made using his tail hair and recounted some of his funnier moments. Big (((HUGS))) for you on this difficult day!
    RIP Disco (6/8/2000 - 4/1/2008)

Mactmn, your horse is beautiful!

Thinking about Bob now I feel like I can't breathe. I feel like there is 12 cinderblocks on my chest that are all too hard to move alone. His strong welcoming whinny keeps playing in my head... I'd say "Good morning Bob, you in there" and when he would do his deep, strong whinny I knew he was ok for the morning.

He is something so special, the hurt is unbearable. Disco Mom - Not so happy anniversary for your beloved Disco, remember the good times, I feel that's all we can do however, they make me sad too thinking there will be no more of him. Thanks for your support.

I am so sorry for your loss You were so lucky to have him in your life for such a long time. I guess the price you pay for having them is that they take a piece of your heart with them when they pass on But I think that it's an even trade off for all they give to us.

I am so sorry. I can't think of anything to make it hurt less. I dread the day I have to go thru the same thing. I know how hard it's been with the couple pets I've lost. With horses, it's friendship and a partnership. It's something special. Know that he's happy and surely sunning himself in a lush, green pasture.

So sorry for your loss. Everyone is different but what really helped me recently with my dog who passed away unexpectedly was to write a little essay about her including all the little things about her that I wanted to remember--all her special little idiosyncracies--and everything I wanted to tell her. I came up with seven pages' worth. I think I will look through all her photos and make an album of this, including what I've written.

It will become bearable at some point, I promise.

Conny was my talker; the others have never had much to say. Conny always had a whinny, whuffle, neigh or soft whicker for every and all situations. The day his voice fell silent was one of the worst of my life.

Bob had a long, good life and chose to go out on his own terms. Compared to the majority of animals whose owners have to decide when it's time, he spared you the pain of having to put him down.

We grieve because we love them, and now they're gone. It's the price we pay, and I for one have paid it gladly. I would have been a much poorer person for not having had that shining presence in my life.

Grieve for Bob, but remember that many have already walked the path, and we support and understand what you're going through.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

I am so sorry for your loss too. I'm on day 17 of losing my TB, and I'm still struggling with "moving on". Just last weekend I entertained the thought of loaning his bridle out to a friend ... and it hurt so bad I was in tears. Needless to say the bridle wasn't loaned. And while I loved Rocky, he was leased to a 14 year old girl so I rarely rode him ... I keep thinking if it hurts this much losing Rocky, how would I feel if I lost my Pirate? I just keep reminding myself of his long life, the great things he did, and us a lot of music to keep me going. I can't listen to "his song" - "So What" by Pink ... but I find a lot of solace in Green Day's "Time of your Life" (also known as Good Riddance but I'm not sure why).

Sending you a cyber hug for your loss.

I cried for a solid week and didn't try to stop myself. For months, and even now sometimes I'll think about my mare and tear up. But I also remind myself of the wonderful 23 years we had together, and I wouldn't have missed them for the world.

Day to day. You go day to day. My mare's halter is still hanging on her hook, and she's been gone since last September. I'll move it one day, but not today. Likewise her stall is still empty even though it would be more convenient for me to move them all down one. Can't do that either. I think about shifting them, and the stall stays empty. Right now its got extra buckets and bedding in it.

Thank you all so much.. As I am writing this I find my self in tears not only for my Bob but for all of your horses as well. Conny, Rocky, Vesper's Dog, the beautiful Arab, Disco.

Bob's halter is on his stall. We had to put another sweet pony in his stall almost immediately because among us humans hurting he left behind his friend Woody and his beloved Donkey May. Woody is stalled next to him. I cry for May as she loved him, she lived in his stall with him. This morning she actually went into the replacement pony's stall thinking where's Bob and then she cried and cried and boy was that hard because I know how she feels but in a donkey way I have no idea the hurt that little May is feeling.

I am soo sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is so devastating. My best days after losing my heart horse and heart dog was the day I could finally look at a picture or talk about them without crying. I believe it was about 6 months and I'm not an emotional person. Fortunately now I can look at pics and smile. Give yourself all the time you need, the pain you feel now will be replaced with grand memories one day.

I'm so, so sorry!

****HUGS****

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending you ((hugs)). I hope your pain and sadness ease with time.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    It will become bearable at some point, I promise.

Conny was my talker; the others have never had much to say. Conny always had a whinny, whuffle, neigh or soft whicker for every and all situations. The day his voice fell silent was one of the worst of my life.

Bob had a long, good life and chose to go out on his own terms. Compared to the majority of animals whose owners have to decide when it's time, he spared you the pain of having to put him down.

We grieve because we love them, and now they're gone. It's the price we pay, and I for one have paid it gladly. I would have been a much poorer person for not having had that shining presence in my life.

Grieve for Bob, but remember that many have already walked the path, and we support and understand what you're going through.
    Beautifully said arabhorse2. I send my condolences over Bob as well. No matter how much time passes, we will awaysl miss our gallant horses.

Nothing more that I can add that hasn't already been said, but heartfelt hugs from VA - been there, still doing that....does get easier with time, but I still cry at the darndest memories......but the happy memories do shine through..... HUGS!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Cook View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to cope. My heart just hurts from losing Linus in January and even just reading this topic has brought me to tears again. If someone figures out how to handle - let me know.

Ditto. This is the first such thread I have been able to open. Hurt to be reminded. So I guess time helps some, but much more time then we might expect.