The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Event/Jumping/Hacking Saddle for TALL, Thin Rider--Sick of Leg Bruising and Sore Bum

I am SICK of riding on buckles and having my knee sit below knee rolls! I'm a thin rider (130 lbs, and 5'10") and ride in a jumping/event saddle that was supposedly made for my height, weight, and horse specs. But I get horrible bruises from the girth buckles, which sit right below my knee any time I ride in it! It's a georgeous, top of the line saddle, just doesn't fit me! I tried a Jeffries Flyover--very comfortable in the seat, but the knee roll ended well ABOVE my knee...that's not normal, right? I suppose that's only because it's a forward flapped saddle, but since I spend 95% of my time in my jumping saddle hacking/conditioning on hills, NOT jumping, I'm really not comfortable in a saddle with a FORWARD flap!

I MOSTLY am hacking these days (when I'm not schooling dressage in my dressage saddle--can't hack in that thing! It's a Luc Childeric!), so I want a saddle that is comfortable for my boney derriere too! But I would like the ability to jump up to 3' occasionally in lessons or if I get another horse...

My price range is limited to around $1000. Used is fine!

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a crosby all purpose soft ride? (I know...all purpose is no purpose...but I need a longer flap??)

Thanks!

Anybody with a super comfortable jumping saddle who is tall?

I love my jump saddle and am 6' so I totally get the flap not fitting thing. No saddle recommendations for you though as I just bit the bullet and bought an Antares to my dimensions. Even used I think you'd have a hard time finding one in the $1000 price range, I just got a new one, sold mine that was 3 years old and I got $2600 for it.

My trainer is 5'11" and probably weighs 115 pounds and is ALL leg. She uses an Antares with the slightly more forward flap, and I sat in that saddle once and immediately went and found a used one for me! I'm only 5'8" but the saddle is great. I was able to find a used one for a fair price on-line, the name of the website escapes me but you could do a search for "Antares" and find it, I'll bet.

The saddle I had before that was a Berney Bros. Dublin Jumper in an 17.5" and it was MORE than enough room for my thigh, but hard as a rock. I did adore that saddle but it stopped fitting my horse, so it had to go. I love the Antares, though--soft and comfy and weighs HALF what the Berney did.
    Click here before you buy.

I'm 5'10" and *cough* 145 lbs (I just gained 10 lbs over the last 6 months and having a really hard time accepting it!!!!! ) and really liked the Passier Military. Not sure if it's in your price range (but used you never know) but I found it kept me secure and comfortable.

Can you try some of your friend's saddles to see if there is a brand/type you prefer? Then you have an idea, but look for it in a long flap.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Yes, that's what I'm trying...ride in everyone I know's saddle! I don't really have any amazonian sized (tall) friends though! Anyone have any exerience with the girth buckle bruising dilemma--I think the area below my knees has turned permanently yellow from bruising? Perhaps I should ask the foxhunting crowd since they ride in their saddles all day!

Wink

I had a Passier dressage (very flat--the baum PT model) which I could jump in and do flat on. It had a HARD seat and pinched just a bit in my mid-to upper thigh--felt like I was squeezing too hard or something. Actually, I found that saddle VERY usable though and may go right back to it...I just feel like I shouldn't have to select from the lesser of the evils though. I know I can get that same saddle in the soft seat variety, but am afraid it will still pinch the upper thigh/groin/not really sure what to call the part of my leg where it pinches. Thanks for the advice--I'll sit in one though! They are in my price range anyway!

I don't have a problem with the knee bruising but I also have a mono flap so there is nothing there. Perhaps look for a mono that way the buckles would be by your feet and below.

Red face

Oh, the passier military looks like the jeffries flyover! I loved that one, it just was probably too short in the flap for me!

Will see if I can sit in an Anteres too! Maybe I could find a used one!

In your price range I might try some used Ainsleys and Berney Bros. If you google "used Ainsley Chester" an "used Ainsley ProNational" you will find some.

Try looking at Barnsby close contacts, they tend to have quite forward flaps. I'm sure you could find a used one in good condition for around $1k. I have a Barnsby Pegasus, and if anything, the flap is too long for me, yet in most saddles my knee hangs over the front of the flap! I'd recommend this one for sure, they are very comfy and the leather is good quality.

Thanks--will look at a Barnsby--I know they are comfortable on the bum!

Anyone have any views on Crosby saddles? I've seen some complaints about Barnsby customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    Anyone have any views on Crosby saddles? I've seen some complaints about Barnsby customer service!
    We have several kids in Crosby's (my first 2 saddles were Crosby), good quality, they are comfortable, not quite Barnsby or Antares comfortable, but they do hold up well with minimal care. Hard to find the right flap on them though for long legs and not a fan of the XL line. Pessoa also makes an uber comfortable saddle with a decent flap for longer legs, I believe its the A/O model we have around. The Gen X is nice as well but not forward enough for long legs.

Default I've heard other people complain

about the HDR CC, but it is the ONLY saddle that fit my thin legged, skinny bottom daughter. She too used to get the bruises and tried several saddles before happening upon the HDR. I've heard other people complain about it putting their legs in a "too forward" position but for her it has been perfect. She isn't an eventer so it may not work for you; but for hacking and jumping it has been wonderful for her.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Can you have the billets on your current saddle swapped for really long billets? Use a very short dressage girth and really long billets, and then put a girth cover over the whole thing. You won't rub as much. 5'11, NOT sharing my weight here , been through this. I got a Crosby XL that fit me REALLY well, but it's a medium tree and my new horse is a wide now
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Default Anyone know how much it'd cost to have long billets put on a saddle?

Yes, Pessoas were VERY nice in the bum...I was just afraid the flap leather would eventually soften to the point that I'd be back to riding on buckles. Anyone know how much it'd cost to have long billets put on a saddle? Any suggestions on someone who wouldn't butcher my saddle while doing it in a reasonable amount of time?

I am 5'11" and around 140, and I ride in a Stubben Siegfried VSSG, the very forward flap for long-legged riders.
    Drop the pebble and trust in the ripples. -- John O'Leary

Look into used Albion Kontrol and Kontact - especially if you can find a long flap. Comfy, roomy even in the regular flap, durable, and coming down in price. The newer version is called eventer I think, and those are good too - made for William Fox Pitt at 6'4".