The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default vanilla grocery store yogurt for horses

I assist a horse rescue group. Some volunteers brought the Pet Psychic out to 'tell us' about the horses and what they require. 3 days later I get a call from our barn manager, also a volunteer, saying that she is being forced by the board to feed the horses vanilla yogurt. Was handed a 60 cc syringe to shoot it into horse mouths. Pet psychic says they need it.

I am not opposed to giving horses what they need, be it proper equine evaluated supplements. Made for horses. I am opposed to vanilla yogurt bought at the human grocery store, made for humans. It is my understanding that human guts and horse guts are different thus if a horse needs probiotics, human food will not give the horse what it needs.

I am also opposed to yogurt that has been sitting in the tack room for 3 days, in 50-55 degree weather. We have no refrigerator. Maybe the psychic did not know this. So said vanilla yogurt is not being refrigerated. I tell barn manager to put the yogurt into the trash container. I then tell volunteers who wanted the yogurt be fed to the horses that if they eat the rotting yogurt then maybe I will allow it to be fed to the horses. No one took me up on this offer.

So have a meeting on thursday and I know that I am the B**ch for not allowing the feeding of this particular yogurt. So the discussion is, if you could properly keep the human yogurt ( refrigerator required), what do you think of feeding it? I feel that Horses and humans need different probiotics since our guts are different. Is that incorrect? Horse also do not consume dairy products on a regular basis. I told the volunteers to go to valleyvet.com and order horse probiotics if they wanted. And Do not get me started on my personal opinion of Pet psychics for proper animal care.

Refridgerated yogurt? Sure!

NOT refridgerated, almost positively bad yogurt?? NO.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Refridgerated yogurt? Sure!

NOT refridgerated, almost positively bad yogurt?? NO.
    Ditto. Cheaper (and more efficient) to do the probotics thru a catalog then feeding yogurt. My dog loves yogurt... but that's a whole 'nother tail .
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Only have anecdotal evidence to present, but yogurt from grocery store worked on young foal scours and on mini horse recovering from Potomac Fever. Both had "tightened" stools in a matter of hours. Cannot say positively that it was the yogurt, but since it was the only treatment given at the time, seems pretty likely.
    Last edited by hank; Mar. 30, 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: spelling

I think that the amount of yogurt you would have to feed to get enough probiotics into them would be very cost prohibitive. 60ccs doesn't even come close. It would have to be several cups I would think. Go with the commercially prepared probiotcs. A bacteria is a bacteria, the form its delivered in shouldn't matter to the psychic.

Before we had commercial probiotic preparations, we used plain buttermilk for the same purpuse.
    Same bugs, cheaper and easy to get and use, at least the old buttermilk, don't know if today's buttermilk is the same.

If they insist, would it be worth pointing out why vanilla? Commercial vanilla yogurt has a LOT of sugar, as opposed to plain old plain. I am guessing many of your rescues need their sugar intake tightly restricted, especially on first arrival?? Might be another proof point to argue that the psychic isn't a rehab nutrition expert.

Okay, so maybe I am a tad cranky about the yogurt thing but when it is recommended by the psychic and sits out at room temp, I think I am justified.

And I agree - I think you would have to feed a lot. 60 cc would not cut it. Seems better just to go to the local tack/feed shop and buy stuff made for horses in a big container. Probably no fridge required

People feed cats dairy products and many cats will yak it up once they are adults. Dairy is does not seem to be well tolerated in some species ( and humans). And did not one brand of yogurt get sued from making false claims about improving digestive health? I think I heard about that last year.

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    If they insist, would it be worth pointing out why vanilla? Commercial vanilla yogurt has a LOT of sugar, as opposed to plain old plain. I am guessing many of your rescues need their sugar intake tightly restricted, especially on first arrival?? Might be another proof point to argue that the psychic isn't a rehab nutrition expert.
    Oh yeah, excellent point! We have old, and foundered and cushings horses. Think sweet stuff not needed either.

My vet has recommended yogurt for a foal with scours and also a rescue horse. I can't remember the dose for the foal as it was several years ago. The rescue horse got about a cup of it, not sure how this relates in ccs. She liked it and ate it readily. However, I would never feed yogurt that had not been refrigerated properly. And why are people taking medical advice from a psychic instead of a vet? That concerns me more than the yogurt.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Kbbarn, before you throw the baby out with the bathwater I think you need to do your homework.

What yogurt gives people and animals is Lactobacillus bacteria to their digestive systems--necessary for digestion.

I think you're allowing your dislike of psychics to cloud your thinking. There are several ways to get Lactobacillus into people and animals but what matters most is that it gets into the intended target if they need it. Giving 60 ccs of vanilla yogurt to an able bodied animals isn't going to send the animal into a tailspin--of course, that's probably not enough to help either. I'd much rather give plain (and more of it) if I thought I had to give a horse yogurt. I always simply used a probiotic with a Lactobacillus strain in it for my horse (which is probably a lot cheaper than buying all that yogurt. You know, yogurt is getting very expensive--I just paid sixty cents for six ounces the other day--that's outrageous. IMO!).

I think you overreacted (with the exception of preventing a possible bad thing [excess sugar] being dispensed to possible metabolic horses who didn't need that sugar)!!!! I've eaten yogurt that wasn't kept in the best of conditions, but it was fine and I didn't die. If the yogurt hadn't been opened yet it probably would have been fine. If I had been there I would have at least checked it before trashing it.

I feel that Horses and humans need different probiotics since our guts are different. Is that incorrect?
    No, you're wrong! If you're going to continue to work there I think you need to do your homework on equine nutrition! When horses eat grass they convert it into Lactobacillus (but too much Lactobacillus can be a bad thing if they eat so much it starts to die off in their stomachs--that's what causes colic generally). Lactobacillus helps horses and humans to digest what they eat.
    Horse also do not consume dairy products on a regular basis.
    Maybe not, but they could. Horses use milk products very efficiently. Horses that are underweight are frequently fed whey protein powder which is a wealth of branched chain amino acids, which helps horses build muscle mass....

I think you have your panties in a wad for nothing! If you want to offer up an opinion you should at least know what you're talking about....
    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!

No horse (or human) NEEDS probiotics. Our guts (and those of horses) are chock full of bacteria already, living in harmony with us. Undoubtedly probiotics can help in some situations and are probably harmless, but there are many ways to get them where they need to be without buying it retail in small plastic containers and making a huge production out of it. No psychic intervention required, just buy some Accel.

I'm with you all the way, kb. Sounds like a whole lot of drama over something that ought to be pretty simple.
    Click here before you buy.

Delta - thanks!

Cherry - I think you have your drama panties on. It was a simple post about asking for a simple discussion. Chill ( or do not chill since you seem to like your yogurt warm)

After getting a bout of pretty bad food poisoning from a partially opened container of vanilla yogurt, I would be wary. Fridgerated, Sure! But is it neccesary and cost effective? Probably not. I would trust the opinion of the vet over a psychic.

My vet also recommended plain vanilla yogurt for my gelding once. So I'm sure it won't hurt the horses. However I totally agree with the OP about it needing to be kept cold. I would have thrown that yogurt out as well. If it's not kept cold I would not feed it.

I agree- why vanilla and not plain? Vanilla yogurt is just regular sugary yogurt with vanilla flavoring, might as well give them raspberry.

Or blackberry, since I know mine always root in the bushes for them!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post

No, you're wrong! If you're going to continue to work there I think you need to do your homework on equine nutrition! When horses eat grass they convert it into Lactobacillus (but too much Lactobacillus can be a bad thing if they eat so much it starts to die off in their stomachs--that's what causes colic generally). Lactobacillus helps horses and humans to digest what they eat.

OK, if you want to lecture her on doing her homework, you should do yours, grass is NOT converted into Lactobacillus. Sorry, grass does not convert into bacteria.......There is no spontaneous generation of lactobacillus from plant material......lactobacillus come from other lactobacillus when the conditions are right for growth of lactobacillus
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

The horses probably "told" the psychic they want vanilla and not plain.

The vet had me give my mare yogurt a few years ago after a long bout of antibiotics that had made a mess of her GI system. She was already on so many medications, I didn't want to add another one for that too. This was before the propbiotic craze, and the vet said to give her yogurt. PLAIN yogurt, as you don't want to give a horse with explosive manure more sugar...

Things did go back to normal in a few days... but you have to keep it refrigerated, and it takes a lot. She ate a cup of yogur twice a day. A few CC's isn't going to do anything but make them angry for having a syringe of the stuff shot in their mouths...

So OP, yogurt can have it's place, but this is stupid. I'd be wary of a board that trusts a psychic over horsepeople...if that's the case, run. But don't go down without a fight.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.