The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Triple Crown Feeds - Specifically Low Starch and Lite Formulas

What really is the difference between the two feeds? Specifically the Triple Crown Low Starch and the Triple Crown Lite Formula?

I'm still pondering what to change Gus to come May 1st, or whenever I manage to move him out to his new barn. I do have a TC Dealer locally (about 30 minutes away) and still not sure what exactly they carry. I should give them a call to see what all they have.

But, for an IR horse, which of those two would you prefer to feed?

How about throwing Progressive Nutrition's ProAdvantage Grass ration balancer into the mix. Gringo's on that. He's doing well, but it would be easier on my budget (and for the BO) to have both boys on the same feed. I know I could feed Gus the ProAdvantage and get by just fine, but its NSC is in the neighborhood of 13%.

And, how about Purina's Wellsolve L/S? I've read all the recent threads, plus some older ones. Definitely don't think I want to try it... kinda scary to think that the ingredients aren't "fixed". And, well, I'm not overly fond of Purina anyways - from all my years working at a small animal vet clinic.

Just curious which feed you'd prefer to feed to an IR horse and another who is an easy keeper, prone to a bit of a cresty neck.

And, what's the NSC for those two TC feeds? Any ideas?
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Yes, call or e-mail them and ask which feed is best for your situation. I've found TC very helpful.

TC Lite has more concentrated minerals, etc, and is intended for when you feed 5 lb or less per day. If you feed more than 5 lb of Lite per day, you will be giving TOO MUCH of some minerals.

TC Low Starch has less concentrated minerals, etc., and is intended for feeding 5 lb or more per day.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Yep, Janet summed it up. The Lite is for easy keepers. You can feed just two pounds per day and be giving the adequate amount of vits/mins for your horse. The Low Starch is a similar formula, but designed with a more diluted vit/min content so you can feed more of it. As with most of the other TC feeds, the Low Starch recommends that you feed at least six pounds per day. The Lite is no more than five pounds per day or your horse could suffer from oversupplemetation of vits/mins like selenium poisoning, etc.

I've tried both. My horse hated the TC Low Starch and loved TC Lite. (I'm giving this to one IR horse and two minis). I've decided to switch the minis to something else and am debating stopping the TC Lite because my horse seems to be having an allergic reaction to it. Now, I don't feed much - maybe two cups max (for the big horse) and 3/4 cup for the mins.

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    And, well, I'm not overly fond of Purina anyways - from all my years working at a small animal vet clinic.
    Just for the record, Nestle owns the Purina name for small animal feeds; Land O'Lakes owns the Purina name for livestock feeds.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Just for the record, Nestle owns the Purina name for small animal feeds; Land O'Lakes owns the Purina name for livestock feeds.
    Ghazzu I think I knew that, still don't care for the Purina brand, regardless who makes it.

I think I'll be calling the local feed co-op that deals TC to see if they carry TC Lite. Without knowing my hays values... I mostlikely would need to supplement a multi-vit, right? Or am I good to go without supplementing?
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I feed my draft cross the Lite. When I spoke to their nutrionist, she said to feed 1 lb per 500 lbs of weight and my mare would get all the minerals, etc. and I would not have to provide additional supplements.
    Last edited by draftgirl01; Mar. 30, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draftgirl01 View Post
    I feed my draft cross the Lite. When I spoke to them, they said to feed 1 lb per 100 lbs of weight and she would get all the minerals, etc. that they would need and I don't have to provide additional supplements.
    Thanks. Makes sense, but... I don't want to feed an IR horse and another with "issues" nearly 10lbs of concentrate a day. That's an awful lot. The both really just need a carrier for their supps, and unfortunately beet pulp won't work in the boarding situation I'm in currently.

Does anyone know the NSC for the TC Lite? As it looks like that's the better option for both boys.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by manyspots View Post
    Yep. I just found it. 9.3% versus the 13% with Progressive ProAdvantage Grass. I think I may switch both boys on that... we'll see. Thanks Manyspots though!
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I feed my draft cross the Lite. When I spoke to them, they said to feed 1 lb per 100 lbs of weight and she would get all the minerals, etc. that they would need and I don't have to provide additional supplements.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! That can't be right! You're not supposed to feed more than 5 lbs per day of TC Lite, or you will exceed the amount of vit/min that the animal needs. For some vitamins or minerals, it doesn't matter, excess will just be peed out, but for others there can be cumulative toxicities.

1 lb per 100 lb of body weight would be *16 pounds* for a typical draft horse or draft cross (1600 lbs). That's three times the recommended amount! Even for an "average" horse at 1000 lbs, it would be twice the recommended maximum.

Unless you meant some other lite feed besides Triple Crown??

It IS true that if you feed at least two pounds of TC Lite per day, you probably don't need to feed additional vit/min/probiotic (are you sure they didn't mean 1 lb per 1000 lb body weight? That's a little closer, but on the low side).
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Just look at the TC web site! http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/litefeeding.php 2-4 lbs per day for working horses. Mine always ate it well. I like the TC products.

chicamuxen

Quote Originally Posted by appychik View Post
    And, what's the NSC for those two TC feeds? Any ideas?
    Triple Crown has a TON of info on their website, including their NSC levels.

http://triplecrownfeed.com/news-carbohydrates.php

If only all feed companies were so forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Triple Crown has a TON of info on their website, including their NSC levels.

http://triplecrownfeed.com/news-carbohydrates.php

If only all feed companies were so forthcoming.

From your lips to the Feed Gods' ears!

I *hate* having to make multiple phone calls, emails, etc. to feed manufacturers to get the basic info I need to balance a diet.

I'm teaching a nutrition class this semester, and I keep pointing out to the class that the reason I'm using Blue Seal or TC as an example is because they are easy to get information from...

...c'mon you producers, it's not like you're protecting nuclear weapons data. Your competition sure as shootin' has the capacity to analyze your feeds, so the only people you're hiding it from are your customers---do you see the flaw in this approach? I'd much rather have a page of data than a pretty picture on the bag when I'm making feed decisions.

(For the record, I currently feed TC Lite)

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! That can't be right! You're not supposed to feed more than 5 lbs per day of TC Lite, or you will exceed the amount of vit/min that the animal needs. For some vitamins or minerals, it doesn't matter, excess will just be peed out, but for others there can be cumulative toxicities.

1 lb per 100 lb of body weight would be *16 pounds* for a typical draft horse or draft cross (1600 lbs). That's three times the recommended amount! Even for an "average" horse at 1000 lbs, it would be twice the recommended maximum.

Unless you meant some other lite feed besides Triple Crown??

It IS true that if you feed at least two pounds of TC Lite per day, you probably don't need to feed additional vit/min/probiotic (are you sure they didn't mean 1 lb per 1000 lb body weight? That's a little closer, but on the low side).

I was thinking the same thing...I was like WHOA!

16 pounds a DAY! I think that defeats the purpose, right?!

Who are "them"?

A sales rep or a nutritionist from the company?

ETA: I just ran the numbers with a rough estimate of hay intake and the total ration is seriously over the requirements for a number of vitamins and minerals.
    Last edited by Ghazzu; Mar. 30, 2009 at 01:11 PM.

Progressive ProAd Grass is really ~13% NSC?

I really don't have much to add - it was pretty well summed up by everyone else.

I use the TC 30% supplement (ration balancer) for Star and Sparky. They each get about 1lb/day... it's got fewer calories than the Progressive NSC is 9.8%.

TC products are nice. I didn't realize you had a TC dealer close to you!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Smile

Ooops, sorry, TC rep recommended 1 lb per 500 lbs. Typo on my part. My mare gets 3 lbs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Progressive ProAd Grass is really ~13% NSC?

I really don't have much to add - it was pretty well summed up by everyone else.

I use the TC 30% supplement (ration balancer) for Star and Sparky. They each get about 1lb/day... it's got fewer calories than the Progressive NSC is 9.8%.

TC products are nice. I didn't realize you had a TC dealer close to you!
    Yep. I found a few different references on here that state the NSC is roughly 13%.

And, about those TC Dealers. Called the closest one. They don't carry either the TC Lite or the 30%. I'm going to call a company down closer to the Cities. It's out of the way right now, but will only be about 20 minutes from the new boarding barn come May 1st.

I love the Progressive... but I'd prefer to have both boys on the same feed. The TC Lite is like 9.3% NSC, the 30% is 9.8% (like you mentioned) and the Progressive is ~13%. Makes sense to put both on the same... and the lowest, if possible.

We'll see what the other dealer has to say.
    See G2's blog
    Photos