The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Flexible Rubber Mullen Mouth Loose Ring Snaffle Bit???

    Ok, so I'm searching for the bit mentioned in the subject line. Can anyone tell me where I can get one? We have yet to find one locally or online.

    Loose ring bit, straight mouth, very flexible rubber (no cable inside)...our mare won't go in anything else right now! We are borrowing one and need to give it back soon. So if anyone can direct me to where I can purchase one let me know!!!

    Thanks!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 27, 2008
    Location
    Urban Jungle
    Posts
    296



  3. #3
    jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Thank you so much!!! I don't know why I couldn't find that! Not too bad of a price either!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 10, 2003
    Posts
    258

    Default

    If she's that picky, buy two. They always manage to chew through them at the most inconvinent times.



  5. #5
    jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justblu View Post
    If she's that picky, buy two. They always manage to chew through them at the most inconvinent times.
    I actually thought about that the other day! Good idea! We're gonna do that.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 18, 2000
    Location
    Brantford, Ontario
    Posts
    3,080

    Default

    The bits posted do have a cable through them (but are still very, very flexible). My horse goes in them, and I cut the last one he chewed through open to check, as I wanted to be sure that there would still be something connecting the loose rings if he went right through the bit at an inopportune time! I just wanted to post so you would be clear as to the bit you're looking at. Super soft and flexible, but most definitely with a cable through the centre.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,556

    Default Nathe makes one

    A Nathe version might be better. The whole bit is thinner, the rubber not so sticky and the bit includes a raised portion to accommodate the tongue.

    I think a small custom tack store in PA has an even thinner, softer version.

    PM me for details if you want.



  8. #8
    tksummerland Guest

    Default Flexible mullen mouth bit

    I would like information on the Nathe bit if you have it. Thanks.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,556

    Default Nathe bits

    Nathe makes several styles and lengths. I don't know if they make different diameters. At the fattest part near the rings, they are a bit more narrow than black rubber bits. The rings also slide through Nathe's different rubber more easily, helping those who want the instability offered by the loose-ring design.

    Check out this link:

    http://www.dressagestars.com/nathe_snaffle.html

    Like traditional rubber bits, these create for friction than metal bits.

    My horse really likes his D-ring version. I'm not so into my loose-ring.



  10. #10
    jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    The bits posted do have a cable through them (but are still very, very flexible). My horse goes in them, and I cut the last one he chewed through open to check, as I wanted to be sure that there would still be something connecting the loose rings if he went right through the bit at an inopportune time! I just wanted to post so you would be clear as to the bit you're looking at. Super soft and flexible, but most definitely with a cable through the centre.
    You know what? I bet the one she is currently using has cable in it too, it is just SO flexible I figured there wasn't anything inside.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 27, 2008
    Location
    Urban Jungle
    Posts
    296

    Default

    If she's chewing through, wouldn't you want a cable?

    Items of tack have a way of breaking at VERY inopportune moments.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,556

    Default Kocher Tack in PA

    To the OP--


    I think you do want a cable running through your rubber bit.

    You might try finding Kocher Farm somewhere in PA. They had a mobile tack shop at a show I once attended and they had an unusual rubber mullen mouth bit. It was expensive, $130, but really thin and far more flexible than any other bit I have seen. If you have a chewer of a horse, however, know that she will gouge all of these bits. In any case, I think Kocher made the bit themselves and could help you with your mare's unique taste.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2007
    Location
    In the South, ya'll.
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Bit of Britain also has the KK Fleximouths in loose ring, eggburg, full cheek, pelham, three/two rings, and if you order before tomorrow/spend over $75, shipping is free.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

    ~ Douglas MacArthur



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct. 2, 1999
    Location
    Mendocino County, CA: Turkey Vulture HQ
    Posts
    14,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    To the OP--


    I think you do want a cable running through your rubber bit.

    You might try finding Kocher Farm somewhere in PA. They had a mobile tack shop at a show I once attended and they had an unusual rubber mullen mouth bit. It was expensive, $130, but really thin and far more flexible than any other bit I have seen. If you have a chewer of a horse, however, know that she will gouge all of these bits. In any case, I think Kocher made the bit themselves and could help you with your mare's unique taste.
    That was probably a Herm Sprenger Duo.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,859

    Default

    I use the white, straight Nathe on my sensitive mare - it can be worn one way to give maximum tongue room, or the other for more of a mullen mouth action. A good example of less is more with her - the more she is bitted up the more unstoppable she is.



Similar Threads

  1. Itty Bitty rider gets jumped loose...how to fix?
    By YankeeTurnedHillbilly in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: Dec. 3, 2005, 08:35 PM
  2. Vent: loose dog chasing my horse in his t/o
    By NRB in forum Off Course
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: Feb. 26, 2005, 12:14 PM
  3. Replies: 111
    Last Post: Nov. 26, 2003, 09:17 PM
  4. Replies: 142
    Last Post: Oct. 2, 2003, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness