The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default One Reined Alternative to a Rubber Mullen Pelham

What are some ideas? NO connecter straps.

There really isn't one. why are you so opposed to the converters?

I guess if I had to show (in hunters- so no converters) a horse that always used that bit, but for some reason could no longer, I would go with a slow twist full cheek.

My A/A jumper uses a mullen happy mouth pelham with converters. I love it.

They make a single rein that splits into two, connecting to the snaffle and curb. I'm not a fan of either that or the converters. Neither allows you to keep the curb rein loose like it should be. The whole point of a pelham is to be able to use the snaffle independently from the curb, but whatever.

look at the Myler bits...some of them have a mouthpiece that is shaped so that horses that only tolerate rubber (low palate, sensitive tongue or bars etc) will tolerate the Myler piece as well. Once you find a mouthpiece that your horse likes, many of them have a leverage element as well. Just be careful to not get one with the "hooks" as they are illegal. I like these bits over a pelham because it gives you more of a true feel than a pelham, but you can still get some lift and encourage them to give to the hand. Good luck!

I use a MM happy mouth full cheek. Much different action than a pelham, though

If it's for the jumpers, I'd try a rubber gag.

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    look at the Myler bits...some of them have a mouthpiece that is shaped so that horses that only tolerate rubber (low palate, sensitive tongue or bars etc) will tolerate the Myler piece as well. Once you find a mouthpiece that your horse likes, many of them have a leverage element as well. Just be careful to not get one with the "hooks" as they are illegal. I like these bits over a pelham because it gives you more of a true feel than a pelham, but you can still get some lift and encourage them to give to the hand. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Words of Wisdom View Post
    If it's for the jumpers, I'd try a rubber gag.
    Thanks guys! This is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Maybe I should have been more clear- no connector straps b/c they totally defeat the purpose?

This is a pretty hypothetical question, I tried a lease horse over the weekend and he goes in a pelham, but I'm just coming back to riding, and I don't feel 100% comfy with the double reins. I don't use the curb rein ever anyways, and the owner said if I want to ride him in something else, I could.

I'm going to ride and lesson in the pelham for a month or two and see if I can addjust it, but I wanted to start researching options now. Might not even need a new one after a couple of rides with both reins in hand, but always gotta be prepared!

Maybe just keep your curb rein loose. If you're worried about tightening it unconsciously, you can try a little pony kid trick. Determine the exact spot on the reins where you want to keep your hands. Tie a knot in each rein a few inches before that spot. Then you can keep your hands right behind the knot and you won't be able to move them past it. Once you get used to it you can remove the knot. You could also put some electrical tape (won't harm leather) in that spot instead of knots.

If you sit on that curb rein too hard, it becomes a sefl-correcting issue.

As long as you have a pelham horse, you might take the opportunity to at least practice riding with two reins sometimes. You can never have too many skills!

Quote Originally Posted by RioTex View Post
    If you sit on that curb rein too hard, it becomes a sefl-correcting issue.
    Exactly, your horse will let you know!

If you're giving yourself a couple months to get used to 2 reins, you'll have it down pat in no time. You'll be able to do it in your sleep.