The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Wink Shed-a-holics... unite!

I know you're out there...

You know who you are...

The shedding blade is compulsive... the cow curry is your favorite 'brush...

But nothing, NOTHING is better than plain ole human fingers. Big circles on coolish spring day when the horse is warm from the sun... circle, circle... the hair comes off in gobs and gobs... looks like snow on top of the mud... Mutual grooming isn't out of the question... <blissfull sigh>

I wasted a perfectly good riding day this past week just grooming everyone. I think it was the best day of the week.

Meanwhile, we are ALL addicted to my Bamboo version of the Furminator. I've got the one that's shaped like an old fashioned mane comb, or an old 'lady flicka' razor... would I LOVE a *real* furminator that much more? It is SO expensive for a brush... And yet... I have... the NEED to shed...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

lol!

I am taking 25 pound cat litter pails of hair off my yak...ehhheemmmm...mini man Dumplin' every day.

The furminator. You know I looked at it online and almost bought it. THEN I discovered my old rubber squeegie brush thin I got at the dollar store years ago that is supposed to work for sweeping dog and cat hair off your furniture. Well, obviously the makers of this thing never met my brood because it's worthless. So I figure nothing ventured nothing gained and try it on the yak.

OH...MY....GOODNESS....

This thing just pulls the hair out of him like no tomorrow!

I'll post a pic of the one I have later. I don't shop at the DS's anymore but I bet if you see it you'll know what I have and have ideas where to find one
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

oooh... do tell...

The Young Master Irrenaeus left his ALFALFA today for the bamboo shedder thingie. He was in ecstacy. Unfortunately, my arm got tired...

While I am not fond of bringing the hair into the house... while I run out of simple sweatshirts to wear (the polarfleece winter attire safely HIDDEN from the onslaught) I really, really do love shedding season.

I guess it's partly like Chistmas. You shed and shed, and find a new shiny PONY underneath!

Shedding is giving me nightmares My old man is so freakin' hairy he gets matted like a cat!!! He's 100% TB but looks like a clyde cross due to the mass amounts of long flowing hair hanging on his legs

He lives out 24/7 so I don't want to clip him (heck, they are threatening snow here for Monday ). He's been blanketed since the end of November or thereabouts. He started in a sheet then moved up to a medium weight. He's been nekkid a few times since the weather has started to change but for the most part he's in his sheet while we go through the shedding process and onslaught of rain/snow/fluxuating temps or whatever spring throws our way.

The shedding blade gets some hair off. The curry just makes knots. The fingers really are the best grooming tool but there is so much surface area (he's 16.3 and about 1200 lbs give or take). I've wondered if the furminator would be worth the purchase also. I mean, what if I drop that kind of cash on a brush and I still can't do anything with my woolly mammoth er, um, I mean horse
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

the cow curry is your favorite 'brush...
    What is a cow curry? I spent hours shedding horses out this week, kicking myself for not body clipping a few more when I had the chance. I think I burned out the motor on the shop vac getting it gobbed up with so much hair. Do I need one of these cow curries?
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Do you have any idea how excited I was when my furball started shedding? I was ecstatic! Shedding means spring! I am so sick of his thick winter coat I could scream, so yes - shedding makes me so happy!

I love my shed flower. Originally, I got one because DD insisted (but Mommy, it is purple & sparkly!) and the $5 was not worth it not to at least try. both of my girls are very tender skinned, and they love it. Now, we both have them in our grooming arsenal, when they're not borrowed by others.

On a related note - DD's paint pony's white is shedding far more right now than her brown. that cracks me up! is that normal for two-toned beasts?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

For what it's worth, I gulped hard and bought a Furminator last week for my cat. He's twice gotten himself starved down due to hairballs before I could get him to puke them up, so it was time for drastic measures.

I pulled a third of a compost bucket of fur off of him. Thing is, he normally allows only a minute of petting before he starts biting fingers. but he LOVED the Furminator from the get go - go figure.

For my cat, it's cheaper than a vet bill - and this remembering that we usually can't GET a vet here.

PS I have flavored gut grease for the hairballs, but he won't eat it.

I had out the shop vac today - filled it 7 times!!!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Seven? Yipe! Off how many horses? and what size shop vac?

We brushed the 2 starved drafts that came to us a couple of months ago. You want shedding......lol, good food and spring and the combination was enough hair on the ground to make a new pony

We did two mini's, a POA, three big furry rescues that came in a few weeks ago for rehab. They were pasture boarded and it was super cold in Illinois this winter - they were like woolly mammoths! My DD, grand Niece and I did our 3 horses as well. We have a BIG shop vac 12 gallons. We used up several paper filters as well.

We take turns with the shedding blades and vac. Our arms are so tired! The girls started while I was out on appointments. It was a FUN afternoon! We were so dirty and fuzzy - LOL! The 3 old refugees look relieved to get the wost of it off

Of course tonight the temp dropped like a rock and we are getting snow. So every body is bedded deep in their stalls and snuggled in blankets for the night with lots of extra hay!

I love shedding them out it is so relaxing! Tomorrow we get to pick up where we left off! 9 down and 12 schoolies to go!!!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

OK I am a little obsessed with it too! The best part is that my mare is palomino so she turned snow white this winter and I really forgot what color she is. So now as the white hair is coming off in clumps there is the buttery brown underneath. What a nice surprise.

Andy and I had our "spa" day yesterday--well, to be more, accurate, she had HER spa day and I ended up covered in dirt and hair. It started out with a mud treatment, to soothe the itch and get the circulation going. Then, she stood patiently (uncharacteristically--this is a thin-skinned TB mare who hates fussing) for an hour while I removed enough dirt and hair to build an Alaskan Malamute. The final touch was a good brushing, followed by a warm-up in the arena and a long trail ride in the sun. I put my winter gloves AWAY today!

I have to say I am ultimately disappointed with the Epona shedding flower. What worked best was my good old rubber curry, which I used in combination with the shed flower and a softer massage curry for the legs and face. I resorted to yanking out the long "goat hairs" on her neck with my bare hands and she didn't flinch.

I also pulled out the big guns to break up the dirt--a hard plastic curry which I call my "Quarter Horse" curry and which I normally don't use on her. My young boy (also a TB) loves it, though. He wants all brushing and currying to be as rough and hard as possible.

I do think the white spots seem to shed faster than others... Sam's blaze is all shed out already, leaving him with tufts of red hair around it. (:

I love the shed flower... it's my best shedding tool. I usually use that, a grooma and finish up with a shedding block. But I love how the shed flower doesn't get hair stuck in it... I have little flower-shaped tufts of hair everywhere. d;

What is a cow curry?
    I just searched and I guess it's also called a round metal curry. You can flip the blades from sharper/longer to milder/rounder

http://www.texashorsesupply.com/244240.gif

Can't live without.

Go to your local restaurant supply store and ask for a grill cleaning brick.
    It'll likely cost you about $6.00, you can slice it into pads with a wire or old knife and it works fantastic. It is exactly the same thing as this.... http://about.pricegrabber.com/search...orses/st=query

And you'll get about 10 pieces out of one brick.

Every once in a while, scrub the flat side on the wall to make it prickly again, and keep using it until it is too small to hold.

NJR

One of my boarders got the furminator, and OMG!!!!! That thing is wonderful and oh so addictive.... One of my training horses is a red roan, and seeing that lovely color coming up from all the white fuzz is really gratifying! My gray filly is shedding out with gorgeous dapples--easier to use than a curry, and hair doesn't go flying in your face
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    I love my shed flower. Originally, I got one because DD insisted (but Mommy, it is purple & sparkly!) and the $5 was not worth it not to at least try. both of my girls are very tender skinned, and they love it. Now, we both have them in our grooming arsenal, when they're not borrowed by others.

On a related note - DD's paint pony's white is shedding far more right now than her brown. that cracks me up! is that normal for two-toned beasts?
    I agree completely! I am a sucker for anything pink but those things really work. The only bad thing about them is you are closer to the horse than with a shedding blade so more of the hair gets on you but at least its less on them.

I went after Ti today for about 40 minutes with a grooming stone. It really works.
    I wish I'd taken pics. His summer coat is a golden bay and his winter coat is dark. he looks like a brown and light bay paint right now! He's scheduled for a show in mid-April and I hope by then he doesn't look like he has mange.
    I think with a serious bath and lots of currying and more attention from that stone, he'll be OK.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique