The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm a pack rat. Do I keep this stuff that I someday may need?

I'm in college and selling some misc horse items that I don't use. Currently, I have one smaller horse who isn't much of a high-needs girl and is set tack wise.

But, I can't help but think that someday I'll have or be riding a horse with polar opposite needs of the one I have now. I'm trying to tell myself that when the day comes where I can afford another horse, I can afford to buy it what it needs. It's not like I am on debt's door, but I am trying to be realistic about what is sitting around as leather when it could be sitting in my piggy bank.

Anyways? Some help?

I did exactly what you did, twice. I thought "Oh, surely I won't need THIS again", and I sold a beautiful beautiful Passier Nicole GG dressage saddle for a ridiculously low price (oh to know what I know now) and a bunch of other stuff as well. I regret selling any of it. I now have the "Polar Opposite" horse, and I CAN'T STAND IT that I sold that gorgeous saddle. I just never thought I'd fall in love with my current horse so much! Argh!!!!! My advice: As long as you can still eat and have a place to put it, don't get rid of your horse stuff! It will cost a LOT to replace it all, and not much to keep it and maintain it. Plus, you won't get anything near what it's going to cost to eventually replace it if you sell whatever it is now, and you probably liked it or you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Okay I'm going to go off and continue to be melodramatic about that d@mn saddle.... That's my $0.02!
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I did the same thing this winter. I ended up just selling everything except for basics that are always nice to have around. For me those basics were a few different types of bits, one set of laced and rubber reins each as spares, and a horse sized edgewood bridle (both current horses go in a cob size). I sold everything else off and I'm glad I did. Not only is my bank account $3K richer but my trunks and closet are so much more organized now!

I didn't have a saddle to sell at the time but I have had the saddle selling angst in the past. It's a tough call to make but so far I haven't regretted selling a saddle (have sold butet's and antares in the past).

Actually on second thought, I see that you live near me.... I think you should sell it all (give me your address first )
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

One point to consider: you mentioned that these are leather items...will you be able to (have the time to) maintain them? I know it doesn't really take much time, but, if you have the items stored somewhere and aren't able to give them a once-over occasionally with leather conditioner and keep an eye on them to make sure that they are not getting mildewed or drying and cracking, it might make more sense to sell the items rather than let them deteriorate.

I think it more depends on what the item is, for example do I need to keep around both two slightly different french links when the horse I have now hates them (as an example) not really keep one and sell the other, and if you are not *having* to sell it list everything at a price you would feel good about and then if it sells great if not oh well.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Do you have a 'safe', free place for storage... i.e. parent's place?

I would hang onto stuff if it's quality stuff. I have 30 years + of equipment--the show halter that my brother gave me for Christmas for my first horse, when I was 13 never fit another horse until my stallion...

I sell cheaper stuff... but GOOD stuff I hang onto. And sure enough, three, five or ten years down the road, I am glad I hung on.

BUT--having said that, I have free, climate controlled storage in my own house (the 'guest' room is, in fact, a tack room that I have to completely shovel out before anyone can actually SLEEP in... ) *and* for long term stuff (like the 10 years between leaving for college and getting my own place) at my parents. Not everything survived the 'rents--their basement flooded a couple times and stuff that shouldn't have been down there was... a box of sentimental show stuff is still 'among the missing' but I suspect will show up eventually... still... it's not like I have to pay for storage--so take my advice for what you paid for it.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

A second, random thought occurred to me...

If you don't NEED the money, hang on to the stuff. I had a huge family emergency and had two saddles that I was not using, that were easy, sure *sales.* Got back at least what I paid for them. KILLED me to sell them--I wish now I had both of them--BUT, they also saved me when I NEEDED cash NOW.

If you are very good at savings and not touching it... maybe not so much. But for me, having the saddles to sell was a lifesaver. I can figure out something else now. THEN, I had to 'commute' 450 miles round trip weekly... ya know?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

If it's quality stuff, I would hang on to it. It's going to be a pain to replace if/when you need to.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

KEEP IT !!! IF IT HAS WORKED FOR YOU IN THE PAST! CHANCES ARE YOU WILL USE IT AGAIN. I HAVE ALWAYS REGRETTED SELLING MY QUALITY TACK---NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD NEED MY TRAINING ITEMS FOR YOUNG HORSE AGAIN * NEW TWO YEAR OLD!!! THANK GOODNEESS I DID NOT SELL OR GIVE AWAY MY SMALLER SIZE SURCINGLE AND "BABY BITS" or MY SPARE JOGGING CART!
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Mar. 28, 2009 at 06:56 PM. Reason: missing word

I thought the same thing many moons ago when I was graduating high school and entertaining thoughts of working with horses for a living......many moons later I donated a small pony driving harness (leather), a few blankets, two pairs of woman's boots, one pair of men's boots, one low end 18" saddle, a few bridles, a set of grooming supplies and various bits to the local horse rescue.

I still have: My first english saddle, my first western saddle, my current jumping saddle and dressage saddle, two show bridles - one for each saddle, show and exercise girths for each, two show pads for the jumping saddle, one for the dressage saddle, schooling pads and some other 'sentimental' pads, two sets of grooming supplies and a few other things.

I cut my horse stuff in half and still have a lot - and when my future horse needs something, if I do not have it, I will be able to buy it....

The only thing I would really keep would be a quality saddle.

For what it's worth.... I sold off almost all my horse stuff when I went to college (1968 ) except for a really nice quality English bridle - just couldn't part with it - never expected to have horses again, but just loved that bridle..... here we are 41 years later - we now live in VA, have four horses, had just done trail riding since our re-riding years (i.e. western for DH/Aussie hybrid for me, with nylon bridles for both). Well guess what? At the ripe old age of almost 59, I have started taking dressage lessons. Had to get the saddle, leathers, irons, pads, etc. etc. etc. Guess what I didn't have to get! A decent bridle. Had that because I kept it all these years. So I guess my advice is to keep that which you love and just can't part with, and get rid of the rest. PS - I sold my endurance saddle to pay for my dressage saddle- had held onto that for at least 25 years
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Default Oh, yes, be a pack rat!

I still have the western saddle that was my birthday present in 1965 and a Mexican saddle given to me earlier that same year- still use the former, the latter has not been used since the 60s and so just decoration. And I still have bits from then that might just come in handy. I will, rarely, give something to someone, usually a 4-H kid or the BO for the lesson horses- example, a sewn in bridle with a snaffle bit that I have hardly ever used, it was given to me by a friend. Okay, my 44 yo bosal has pretty well had the course, and I have just ordered a new one. But yeah, I pretty much keep everything and it does come in handy! Two English saddles from 70s sit in the garage because they don't fit current stock, but ya never know what the future brings...

If you don't HAVE to sell, don't. At least not when it comes to leather goods.

I could outfit a used tack shop with just my own stuff. Every once in a while I get rid of something, but it's usually my clothing. Or saddles that I buy to resell. Or that set of 87" blankets so I'm never tempted to own a horse that big again.

I went thru a trunk full of blankets a few weeks ago & was surprised to find what I owed. I didn't remember!

When the horse breaks a halter, it's nice to go to a box & pull out another one, rather than going to the store. Same with reins, etc.

You ride enough horses over a lifetime, you end up needing every size everything at one time or another.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I am a card carrying member of the pack rat club so I'm probably just enabling you. Since my father also saves everything, I'm blaming genetics

High end items, like saddles, I'd keep unless you really NEED the money. Consider that if your saddle is a model that is no longer made (or made under the same name, but not like they used to make 'em), you may not be able to find another in the future easily and then you'll be on COTH, lamenting how you can no longer find anything as comfortable/well-made as your old Stubben or Crosby. And some saddles fit a range of horses, possibly making it worthwhile to hang on to them.

On the other hand, some stuff isn't worth keeping. After my parents went from a high of 4 horses, 3 of which were being shown locally, down to 1 retiree, we were left with an incredible amount o' stuff. We seriously had a gazillion halters, lead ropes, lunge lines, polo wraps, bell boots, shipping boots, blankets, extras of everything. A lot of it would never be used again, especially anything purchased for my sister's 16.3 giant (my 2 are 15.3 and 14.3ish). After 5 years of it sitting in boxes in my parents' basement, we donated the majority to Bluebonnet Rescue (run by cowgirljenn) through the Secret Santa organized by DGRH. We kept enough that there isn't just ONE of anything. You need an extra halter/lead set or two around. You don't need 14 extras (I tell myself that when the packrat trait surfaces) and the stuff is put to better use helping rescued horses than sitting in the basement gathering dust.

The way I look at it, even if sometime in the future I reverse my hony addiction and buy a small giraffe of a horse, would I really WANT to use the oversized halter that's been sitting the basement for 15 years? It wouldn't really kill me to buy a new halter or turnout blanket, and I agree with you: if I can afford the horse, I can afford to buy new stuff for it.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I feel ya. I have a TON of stuff. Not only my things from 24 yrs of horse ownership, but also all of my mother's...when she got out of horses a few years ago I inherited all of her stuff. I could fully outfit 4-5 horses in different tack, blankets, saddles, brushes, etc and still have stuff left over.

I tried to go through some of it and list it for sale...my prices weren't ridiculous, but people seem to expect you to just give used stuff away. I realized I'd rather just keep it in my closet than take a huge hit on it...and who knows, maybe I'll end up using it again...
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Get rid of the stuff that is easily replaced, and keep the stuff that is hard to replace

I save everything but then I have an extra bedroom in the house which is airconditioned in the summer and has heat in the winter. Everything stays like tack shop new. If you have to keep stuff in the garage or a tack room without ac or heat it is probably better to get rid of it because it will get smelly and moldly. I hate nothing more than buying something advertised as new on ebay to get a smelly blanket that has been in someone's tack room for years!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

If it is something that may change styles, such as clothing, sell it now! I have a lot of show clothing that is worthless now although it cost a pretty penny "back in the day..." On the flip side of that, I had a bit (western) that I paid $50 for back in 1978, and I sold it on ebay a few months ago for $375. So there is no right or wrong; it just depends on what you can part with. It's bad enough that I am so attached to my horses, let alone tack!

Liz

So, boots and wraps are easy to come by, right? I'm keeping a few bridles that I like around. I have a ridiculous assortment of girths and bits. I really don't need pounds and a garbage bag full of them. I have four saddles. Three of them fit me, three of them my mare, and they aren't the same three Ironically, the two I have for sale are old stubbens and crosbys, and I'm already missing my crosby!

The more detailed version of my life: All of this stuff is really keeping up other family member's space, which doesn't bug them because they understand, but I'm not looking at living here forever (at least, I hope not) and I'm not sure of how much space I'll have to store all of this in the future.

As well as telling myself that when I can afford the bigger horse that I'll be able to buy the stuff for it, I tell myself that just because I list something doesn't mean it is going away.