The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default dressage score of 102.00 penalites....

at sheply hill intermediate division in 1976.

Wonder who that could be? Dear oh dear. What EXACTLY does one have to do to achieve this?

OK. I'm chomping at the bit with no where to go. Who were they and what did they do?

Nothing yet? Awfully tight fisted at the keyboards there.

That's not a score, it's a sign.

Woo Hoo! Shiv and I finally beat somebody! Too bad it has to go back 33 years to do it.

Reed

A few years ago at Badminton, the late Caroline Pratt managed a dressage score of 106.6 on the appropriately-named Primitive Control.

The Badminton website published the scoresheet, which was basically in binary code, just an assortment of 0s and 1s. Photos showed the horse making minimal contact with the ground.

But heck, he went clean on XC the next day.

If Google isn't failing me, the best dressage score in that division was a 66.00. How times change? Adjusted to make that, say ... a 26, the 102 would be a 62.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

next to the Devon H.S. & what was the Radnor Hunt 3 Day

Ouch!
    "Lucky you to have ridden Kildonan Tug- Luckier you to have loved him"
    "Carrying you to prelim was the jewel in Tug's crown."
    "Great horses find you. You don't find them."

Wow, that's bad! Makes me feel better.

Our very own Denny on Victor Dakin so artfully accumulated 102 points. I had heard this story from the "horse's mouth" so to speak once upon a time. Phyllis Dawson, at a horse trial also in '76, FINISHED on a score of 388.6. 71 dressage, 180 XC penalties (fall of horse, fall of rider, and stops I assume), 96 time, 30 stadium.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Bowling scores!

I don`t remember that specific score, but I do remember one thing about Victor from Ledyard in 1975.

As I rode over toward the dressage arena, I could literally feel his heart start to hammer under my leg. He was that scared of dressage.

Much of that stemmed from his past, I learned, but no doubt also much from my lack of knowing how to deal with that much anxiety, 35 years ago.

One reason I was able to get Victor was because the Canadian coach had written him off, I also later learned, (because of his dressage antipathy)

Sometimes he`d be ok, but he had it in him to have real meltdowns. Poor guy.

Ok, I know there's a lot of strange stuff that goes on (and has gone on for centuries) in the horse world, but what the heck does someone do to a horse that makes them horrified of the dressage arena? And that was before the day of the Dressage Queen (they make me horrified of the dressage arena).
    Last edited by BaroquePony; Mar. 28, 2009 at 05:58 PM.

Worked as a prep for winning Radnor advanced a month later...

I think you can do lots of things to very young horses which can injure them emotionally for the rest of their lives. Like breaking them at 3 with a full bridle, which Victor still remembered when I got him at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    I don`t remember that specific score, but I do remember one thing about Victor from Ledyard in 1975.

As I rode over toward the dressage arena, I could literally feel his heart start to hammer under my leg. He was that scared of dressage.

Much of that stemmed from his past, I learned, but no doubt also much from my lack of knowing how to deal with that much anxiety, 35 years ago.

One reason I was able to get Victor was because the Canadian coach had written him off, I also later learned, (because of his dressage antipathy)

Sometimes he`d be ok, but he had it in him to have real meltdowns. Poor guy.

Denny what level was at when you acquired Victor, what year was this...I am assuming it was a year or so before Burghley 74...and who was his previous owner?

Default Dressage

Denny-

Are you refering to a double bridle when you say 'full bridle'?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Denny-

Are you refering to a double bridle when you say 'full bridle'?
    C'est la meme chose.
    (It's the same thing, it's called both a full and a double bridle)
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Not saying those aren't bad dressage scores, but keep in mind that the scoring formula for dressage was different back then.

Can't remember exactly, but you added up points, subtracted from the total possible and multiplied by .4 or .6 or something. So the points you carried into the other phases were higher than today.

Maybe someone with pipe in with the correct formula.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    Not saying those aren't bad dressage scores, but keep in mind that the scoring formula for dressage was different back then.

Can't remember exactly, but you added up points, subtracted from the total possible and multiplied by .4 or .6 or something. So the points you carried into the other phases were higher than today.

Maybe someone with pipe in with the correct formula.
    It varied at the event to some degree, but it was good points substracted from points possible and that multiplied by the coefficint of .6 most usually, but could be a different coefficient. At the lower levels regular dressage tests were used, TL for Novice, 1st 1 or 2 for T, and 1st 3 or 4 for Prelim. That's all I remember for sure, but I believe the I and Advanced tests have always had their own tests, at least at the 3 day level. Anyone else remember for sure?