The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Funny "bug-bite" bumps on neck with crusty stuff...what are they?

One of our horses has some funny bumps at the neck/shoulder junction on her right side. They feel like tiny bug bites, but when I scratch them, the hair comes off with some yellow crusty stuff. Kinda like what you would see with tick bites. And they ARE itchy...the horse LOVES when I scratch them.

Now it's definitely NOT huge chunks of hair coming off, and it just looks like a normal pink scab underneath. I don't think they're tick bites because there are a lot of the little bumps in a line along the slope of the shoulder. She hasn't been anywhere near woods or long grass, and I probably would have seen at least SOME ticks. I guess they could be bug bites, although it's awfully early for bugs around here.

Some sort of fungus, maybe? Would trying an antifungal cream hurt anything? I thought maybe hives, but it is just limited to that little line on her neck. She nevers wears a blanket, so it's not irritation from that. Anyone ever seen something like this?

dear daughter's sweet mare has something similar on her neck and shoulder. dd noticed it on tuesday. on thursday i came across the first ant bed of the season so we think the mare rolled on an ant bed. bites were almost gone by today.
    Last edited by 3horsemom; Mar. 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: bad typing

Sounds just like this horse, different part of body. http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=196256

Hmmm, possibly ants -- never thought of that! Carolinadreamin', thanks for the link to the other thread. Our horse's bumps aren't quite as clear...you really have to dig in under her winter coat to see the crusties. They are very tiny, and they aren't oozing at all. I'll check around the paddock and the bedding this weekend to see if I find any ants! Maybe just dry skin? Horsey eczema?

Probably the early stage of rain rot.

CSSJR

Yeah, I'm starting to think rainrot. I did a little research online, as I've never had any experience with rainrot before, and it's starting to sound very much like it! Seems very mild so far, but I'm going to take a look at it again today and see what I should do.

Sand fleas?

My mare has the same thing. I noticed them when she began to shed out, but they looked healed, just like scabs. Now that she's completely shed out, you can see that there are many on each side of her neck, but they're definitely not rain rot. I've had lots of experience with that being from the Pacific NW, and it doesn't look like it or make any sense in this case. They're more like raised, small bumps. I would actually normally think ticks, but there are no ticks in there, and they showed up when our temperatures were still in the 20s/teens and we'd been through months of single to negative digits. My other thought is that perhaps they are tick bites from the fall and the scabs didn't come off until she shed out, but they're still raised, so that doesn't seem to make sense. My gelding is in the same paddock and doesn't have anything like it. I'm not sure what they are either, but since the mare is currently living at the vet hospital, I'm going to ask my vet today!!
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ght=onchocerca

microfilarae and neck threadworms ...

Did you happen to deworm your horse recently?

Here are what my guy had- diagnosed by vet as bug bites, possibly by something not venomous but irritating to this particular horse's immune system:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/bbf297ca.jpg
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/e4caaff6.jpg

Carly0789 Guest

my horse joey had rain rot really bad one year when we had alot of rain & if you horse doesn't wear a sheet or anything and if you had alot of rain recently & then he/she went and rolled the bacteria def. formed & you probably had rain rot, I used Shapely's M-T-G and it has Sullfate in it to kill the rain rot and then it stimulates Hair growth, if it is rain rot CAtCH IT NOW! it can be nasty!! that stuff is AMAZIIING!!

Well, I've been putting some rainrot spray on a couple times a day for four days now. The line of bumps seems to have disappeared, and so has the yellow crusty stuff.

EXCEPT FOR ONE SPOT! It is not terrible, and the hair isn't coming off anymore. It is just like a little patch of dry skin. It feels a little warm, though...like a hot spot?

That sounds a lot like what my guy gets, although he does wear a blanket. He has gotten them every year for the last couple of years when he starts to shed out, but only in areas he sweats (under his mane, around his ears, behind his elbows, and if I accidentally blanket him too heavily he gets them on his chest and shoulders--that makes it sound like a lot but he doesn't get them everywhere at once, just a couple here and there). I treated them like rain rot and they went away, but now I'm paranoid and will talk to my vet about worms.