The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Little tiny skin tags ATTACK....

I am in my 2nd month of getting to know my new boyfriend, who is very very fungus prone. The fungus has gotten under control but something that we thought was fungus clearly is not, because it has not improved at all.

He has little tiny skin tags ALL over his body. I have a yellow lab who gets these, too; they look exactly the same, like very miniscule cauliflower-y growths. Hers, however, get huge very quickly and need to be removed by the vet. Scotti's little ickies were there when he passed both his PrePE and his PostPE by two different vets, neither of whom were concerned about them at all. So we know they're not any sort of health threat, which is great, and a big relief.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this. He's a chestnut, if that matters, and he does not seem to mind them being picked off, because we are guilty of having picked a few off trying to figure out what the heck they were, and I am VERY guilty of picking them off because, um, EW.

Holy cow, did that first sentence ever cause me to do a double take! Other than that, I have no idea, sorry.

ha ha! I read that first sentence twice myself

I don't have any answers for you but I can tell you my 10 yr old OTTB has these too! He's dark bay and over the years has gone from one or two to a half dozen. They aren't fast "sprouting" or big by any means. They aren't even noticeable except to me because I groom him

I'm not worried about them. I'd like to know what they are but they don't bother me.

For what it's worth, when I first got him 6 years ago he too went through serious fungus issues and even now tends to get hivey and funky if I'm not careful.
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

My mare also has two skin tags after coming home from the hospital (colic surgery) on her muzzle a couple of years ago. I had the vet remove the tags but they have come back since. Either stress causes it or she picked it up in the super clean stall that she was kept in.

Hers are so small that if you scrape at it a couple of times you can get it to come off with very little bleeding (kinda gross I know). I did that for a "A" show didn't really seem to bother her too much other than a quick flinch.

My daughter's buckskin/dun/grulla whatever does this every summer.
    On him, it is a reaction to fly bites.
    We curry them off with a soft jelly curry or pick them off with fingernails- ickpoo- then put Banixx or Tricare on them & they don't come back. When he goes out he is in his Cashel Fly mask & a Bug Blocker FlyySheet with the neck. He looks like a jousting horse! But it does work.
    He has gotten more since he has been on stall rest thanwhen he was being ridden!
    The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is just a little extra

I wouldn't have thought it was a fungus, but was a virus. Can the OP or any other folks tell me what the Dx on these skin tags are? Are these the melanomas from skin cancer, or are we talking about something else?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I've always treated them like a viral issue - just pinch them off when I find them and that helps inhibit future ones. About two years ago my guy started getting a few of them, and I was casually pinching them off when the vet told me to do the same thing, so I got a bit more aggressive. All gone now and not coming back.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

sound like ring worm which is highly contagious but doesnt fail a vetting
    you need to be clean
    and disfect everything - humans an get it so can dogs etc

high hygene protocol , quarantiine the horse and treat all horses
    clean stable and have a foot bath of jeyes disinfectant treat with iodine wash from a chesmist or tack shop and worm all animals

have a word with the vet or post a piccy here of your skin tags so people can see it but i would advise going to the vets and to the doc and getting it sorted what ever it is is not normal --but either a virus or baterial fugus of something or other

It's not ring worm...(at least my mare's isn't). The vet called it a skin tag and she's had it for several years now and it isn't contagious.

it would be pretty hard to confuse skin tags with ringworm, I'd go with the trained professional on this one.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

So are you saying I shouldn't ignore them?? He doesn't like it when I pick at them I just leave them alone and he's much happier.

Do you think they'll go away eventually if I leave them go?

Leave it to the "Master of Disaster" to come up with something funky - he has me so trained to ignore stuff now I'm probably ignoring things I shouldn't be

how i read it-- your boyfirend has it your dog has it your horse has it

its a medical issue------- ringworm has yellow crusty skin -- ie skin tags

so do something it about -- only oher yellow leaches are either lice or crabs your call

GLS did you forget your coffe AND meds this morning???

My rescued gelding had them quite bad all around his muzzle (little cauliflowers) . Vet said virus (think warts) and that we should pinch them off and they'll eventually go away. Gross? Yes! We did the pinching and they did go away and have not returned in two years. Like I said, he was an underwieght rescue and I think it may have had something to do with his poor immune system.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Quote Originally Posted by 2 tbs View Post

GLS did you forget your coffe AND meds this morning???

HAHAHA, I think I confused EVERYONE with that. But Goeslikestink, I was just calling my horse my boyfriend, and it's not ringworm, I promise! We are very neat and fussy about how clean our dogs are because they sleep in our beds with us

Thank you everyone for commenting... I grabbed the vet today and asked him and he said pick them, and if they bleed put a little Swat on it, and if they grow back he will remove them, but it's still nice to hear other people's experiences with them... and know that I'm not the only one TOTALLY GROSSED OUT by them!!

Thumbs up just my 2 cents!

I believe they are warts caused by viruses. I think it's caused by papilloma virus. I had a chestnut with them and just used scissors to cut them off. They have a stalk that has no real blood supply so there's little bleeding. They stopped as he grew older. Chestnuts are prone to them.

I read once that the way to prevent your horse from getting them was to cut some off, dry them, mash them up and feed them back to the horse. A kind of vaccine like. I may have this wrong; maybe it was to inject them back into the horse. But they are benign.

I was really, really thinking boyfriend almost the whole way through, too. Picturing a really warty guy and not quite understanding the attraction. d;

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, but any way it could be ticks? They're not all that common where I live, and when one of my dogs picked one up a few years ago, I did think it was some sort of skin tag--makes sense if both your horse and dog have the same thing?
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

oh that spam is priceless. I think I will run right out and treat my horse for rosacea! I wonder what pathetic attempt at search combinations led our friend here?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjituniverse View Post
    Hi Biscotti,
    Good to see your mail and all about your experience.
    Indeed rosacea is also a disease that is very much dreaded.
    FYI, we removed the above spam (now sans rosacea link!) which is how this older thread was bumped up and what DMK was commenting upon!

That post was actually the third random spam post removed from this thread, so warts, skin tags, etc. must be a common search term for them.