The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Grandprixgurl Guest

Question How to make your horse gain weight fast???

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has tried any good weight gain products that they think work really good or have any good weight gain tips. I am trying to put weight on my mare, she gets wormed regularly and has no health issues. Shes just under weight after having her last foal!!
    Thanks,

Cocosoya has worked very well for me.

Feed more calories

One of the easiest way to do so is to add oil.

Feed 3x per day vs. 2. I had good luck with beet pulp, soaked tim/alf cubes and rice bran. Corn oil and Farnham weight builder didn't do much for us. We saw a difference when we added the other stuff. Good luck!

Multiple feedings a day and as much hay as they'll eat. Corn oil works great, and I've recently started using Amplify, and I like it a lot. I started seeing a difference in just a few days.

It would REALLY help to know what she's eating now.

Grandprixgurl Guest

She is currently eating 2 flakes of timothy and 1 flake local 2X daily. With beep pulp and equine senior grain 2x daily. And for supplements she gets Strongid C 2x daily wormer and Weight Builder.

I feel your pain! I had a mare that was really drawn out by her foal. Almost embarrassing at the inspection. I started top dressing her normal ration of grain with Purina Amplify. Much easier and less messy than oil. She started putting weight on and looks good now. I figure in another month when she's out on pasture, I should be able to wean her off the Amplify. I'm pleased with the results.
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

Does she finish her hay? If so...maybe she needs more hay. If not...could be a number of things, I'd check her teeth. For what it's worth...my TB mare in light work eats about twice that amount in hay in a 24/hour period, and it's been 2+ years since her last foal.

She had been bred and not kept properly and was very underweight with a foal at her side when I got her. I had orchard/timothy hay in front of her 24/7 plus 2-3 flakes alfalfa twice daily to gain weight. It's actually quite startling to know how many calories a lactating mare needs on a daily basis.

These things have worked for my mares:

Purina Ultium
    Southern States Legends Rice Bran pellets
    corn oil (just a couple of tablespoons to start, more will give her very loose poop)
    alfalfa

That said, mine are not broodmares so the needs may be different. I find the Ultium particularly effective for a "skinny". My main feeds are Triple Crown products (12% supplement and Complete, I feed the minimum amount), alfalfa (about 15-20 lbs per day divided into two feedings), and orchard grass or timothy hay (free choice at all times). I supplemented with the above when needed, it took about 4 weeks to see a difference in the coldest part of the winter. At this moment, the Virginia grass is plumping them up fast, no supplemental calories or alfalfa needed!

I've had amazing results this year adding Endure Extra from Kentucky Performance Products which is a 50% fat powder. It's not cheap, over $50 for 25lbs but you only feed 4 oz twice daily at the max. My big mare would just not have that bloom I wanted & I was feeding over the recommended amount of Nutrena Empower which is 20% fat. The problem with the Empower & several of the other rice bran products is that the starch can be around 16-19% & while that might not be as much as some feeds, I feed a 5% starch ration balancer & this mare has problems with starchy feeds. The Endure Extra is about 6% starch according to the email I received from the company. Mare looks fabulous on this product & while she had to kinda sniff it the first couple of meals, she now gulps it down without hesitating. Lots easier than the oils & I'm getting better results.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grandprixgurl View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has tried any good weight gain products that they think work really good or have any good weight gain tips. I am trying to put weight on my mare, she gets wormed regularly and has no health issues. Shes just under weight after having her last foal!!
    Thanks,
    first thing i address: teeth and deworming...after that... free choice good quality hay-and alfalfa if possible,then i like giving plain soaked beetpulp,and a good high fat/high fiber low starch/sugar feed....I love Blue Seal Vintage Performance LS....and if after some time more weight gain is desired you could always add an extruded fat supplement such as Buckeye Ulitmate Finish, Progressive Nutritions's Envision Classic or Rice Bran Pellets-which is a way of adding safe/cool calories. I also like to give a good probiotic to help aid digestion...Fastrack,Probios, or Tractguard are my top picks.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

It's a bad idea to try and fatten up a horse or pony quickly--it can make the animal sick at the very least, and kill it at the very worst.

Whatever changes you make to the horse's diet make it slowly or else you can colic the poor thing.
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." ~Tom Magliozzi~ of the infamous duo, Click and Clack Tappet, Car Talk hosts. RIP, Tom 6/28/37-11/3/14

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    It's a bad idea to try and fatten up a horse or pony quickly--it can make the animal sick at the very least, and kill it at the very worst.

Whatever changes you make to the horse's diet make it slowly or else you can colic the poor thing.
    Ah common sense prevails.

Why does anyone think that adding Oil, much less Corn or Soy is good for our horses. What is that going to do to the foal and what will it do to the horse later in life.

Spend some time and do research and lots of it and what is the most appropriate diet for your mare without throwing the kitchen sink at her. As well as all kinds of crap she wouldn't be able to digest anyway.

Why are people breeding horses right now anyway? And why wasn't she fed appropriately while pregnant

Kim

Hi,
    Thanks,
    We had a mare like this. She is passed on now, but when she was in foal, and while nursing, she could get very thin. She was a hard keeping Thoroughbred anyway, so couple that with a foal and it was difficult to keep weight on.

She ate Ultium and Strategy and high quality free choice hay. She always benefitted from Fastrack probiotic as well. A good vitamin/mineral supplement tailored to the needs of lactating mares is a good idea. I like Accel and Accel Lifetime. Soaked beet pulp and alfalfa is another great way to add calories. Flax and BOSS are two others that I really like. Our mare also got wheat germ oil fortified with Vitamin A/D/E. We were always able to buy it locally but I think you can order it from most of the big tack stores.

Even when that mare was not nursing, it was difficult to keep weight on her. Make sure you pay strict attention to teeth, hooves, deworming, and be on the lookout for signs of ulcers or other stress. Any kind of discomfort in her body made her drop weight. Our mare could lose 50 lbs. in the blink of an eye if there was any stress in her life. Keeping her turned out with a herd but making sure she NEVER got pushed out the hay was critical. Some hores just can't live on average quality hay and a scoop of sweet feed. She ate triple what the others ate, and got 3rd quality alfalfa when she came in her stall at night. As she aged, we switched her to Equine Senior. We would make the effort to bring her in and give her an extra feeding that the others didn't get, just to keep the weight on her.

The key is really good nutrition in adequate amounts over the long haul. Don't try to put weight on her too quickly by pouring a bunch of stuff at her all at once. You can cause a colic by adding too much too quickly. You'll have to devote a number of months to increasing her weight.

Good luck! Our mare was without a doubt the most challenging horse we ever had to feed, but going the extra mile did keep her in good weight. It's difficult but doable, and you have my sympathy!

She is currently eating 2 flakes of timothy and 1 flake local 2X daily. With beep pulp and equine senior grain 2x daily. And for supplements she gets Strongid C 2x daily wormer and Weight Builder.
    How much hay is that? 3lb flakes makes that 18lb a day - not enough for an underweight horse. 5lb flakes would be 30lb a day, which is quite a nice amount unless she's just a BIG mare (how tall is she? how is her bone?) How much beet pulp and Eq Sr (and why Eq Sr, it's high in sugar)?

You do not want to put weight on a horse fast, as mentioned. Just not healthy.

I missed the post with the amounts of hay in it. Wow, I don't know what the weight of those flakes are, but our mare literally ate hay by the BALE. Forget about flakes. If she was in her stall for 12 hours, she'd easily eat a 30 lb. bale of alfalfa. Out during the day, she had free choice grass mix all day. She was 17.1 hands, and never got about a 5 on the BCS. Usually more like a 4, even with all the forage she could eat plus the grain and additives.

More hay and add rice bran to the grain (I use Equi-Jewel pellets).
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!