The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever ridden/visited Australia or NZ?

My adventure hungry sister is heading out to Sydney for work for a week, and I have the opportunity to join her without too many expenses on my part (flight and some food). Happily, I've found several great deals so far, which is making the trip that much more of a possibility. If I go, of course I have to ride, to fulfill my dream of riding on every continent I possibly can Has anyone ever ridden over there, and maybe could recommend where they went, or share any other experiences? I know the flight will be a bear and a half, 20 hours on a plane does NOT sit well with me, but I feel like I should try to take advantage of this...

Default Have a Lovely Time

Back in the dark ages of the 1980's did a 5 1/2 week tour of Australia and New Zealand, so my info is too old. We went riding on the South Island. However, if you are flying into Sydney, you may not have time to make it out into the environs to ride. There is so much to see and do in the Sydney area that you may not have time to leave the City area. Do make sure you take the hydrofoil over to see the beaches.

Default Google

There are many riding stables around Sydney. You can even go riding at Centenial Park where they held the 2000 Olympic equestrian events. You only have to google "horse riding sydney" to get a string of results to start your search.

Even before widespread use of the internet, the local Yellow Pages had lisitings for stables. I found a stable by this method south of Sydney where I went riding for an afternoon back in 1988 while on a business trip.

You should have no problem finding a place to ride.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

Does camel trekking in the Outback count? Did that for two weeks and had an absolute blast!

Quote Originally Posted by His Greyness View Post
    You can even go riding at Centenial Park where they held the 2000 Olympic equestrian events.
    The 2000 Olympic events were held at Horsley Park which is some way out of central Sydney. Centennial Park is in inner Sydney.

Austraila is beautiful, you'll have a GREAT time!

I went almost 6 years ago and that was the start of my horseyness! I went through People to People as a student ambassador... so it was a set schedule of stuff but one of the things we did was live on a ranch for 2 days (really out in the middle of no where... ). Of course, you can't live on a ranch without riding!

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the ranch... but I had a blast! I was in 6th grade and had never ridden a horse before... my parents said they could have saved a lot of money in the future if the trip didn't have a ranch They had rides for more advanced riders, but most of the group went on the walk ride because at the time we all lived close to NYC and didn't get many chances to ride!

I think that if you get with a good company, riding through the outback will be a ton of fun and something to remember!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

If you can get out of Sydney and go up into the Blue Mountains, there are some great places to ride up there. Nothing like tootling down a trail on a nice horse and having a herd (flock? Gaggle?) of kangaroos boing across the path in front of you!

Sydney is a really wonderful city. Expensive as heck, but wonderful. Do spend an afternoon in the botanic gardens and watch the fruitbats! The Harbor Bridge climb is an experience not to be forgotten (expensive but mind blowing), and the trip across the harbor to the zoo is fun too.

I spent six months studying abroad in Sydney. Little known fact: if you want some delicious (and incredibly cheap) restaurants, check out King Street in Newtown (take any of the 420 buses from Circular Quay). It's not a big tourist area, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better selection of ethnic food.

I rode in Centennial Park (don't remember the name of the stable) and they gave me a horse who kept on throwing it's head up. I normally ride with hunter-length reins and have soft hands- in this case, I let my reins out to a unusually long length. A bit odd, but it was great to be on a horse again!

Don't forget to check out Bondi Beach- lots of fun and easy to get to. Plus, with Bondi, you can do the Beach Walk, which is a walking path that connects all of the beaches (Bondi, Tamarama, Coogee, etc). There's always Manly Beach as well (a 30 minute ferry ride across Sydney Harbour). Taronga Zoo is gorgeous- it has fantastic views of Sydney Harbour plus some interesting animals. If you like nightclubs, check out George Street (my favorite!) or Kings Cross. Everything in Sydney is easy to get to, thanks to the awesome public transport system. Plus, the weather is gorgeous and the people are friendly.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me

Thank you so much everyone! GREAT tips. Have written them all down. McLean, I might be contacting you for more info, thanks for the offer! Gotta get an expedited passport now.. haha

You will love it! I was a able to go to Sydney in 06, and really enjoyed it. I didn't ride while there, but just wanted to tell you to have a great trip!

I was there as a lifeguard, many many moons ago.
    Swam, road, partied......had a blast.
    Did not want to come home to Canada, cashed in my air ticket

My fiance came and got me.........Drag.
    BUT, every time I think of the fun I had In Australia, and on a sheep farm in New Zealand, I smile

Go have fun

Currently living and working in Australia right now and spent a week in Sydney. I highly highly recommend the Blue Mountains ( not really mountains but still amazing specially if your a hiker! ) Lots of stables up here but didnt have a chance to go for a ride. The mountains are about 2 hours from sydney you can drive or take a train. The youth hostel in Katoomba is really nice.

Would also recommend the Harbour Bridge Climb. Its a 3 1/2 hour tour up the bridge cost about $150 or so. Totally worth it. The guides are a lot of fun.

Book your accomodation a couple days in advance since everything ( including all hostels) seem to be always booked!

Not sure when you are going to be in australia but if your here sometime between today and easter you could check out the Elite Thorougbred yearling sales... equivalent to the Kentucky november sale aka million dollar yearlings being sold. Check out www.inglis.com.au

Hope you have a great time!

P.

I'm sure a lot has changed since I was there....
    But I highly recommend driving out of Sydney to wildlife sanctuaries where you can get up close with local animals and their handlers. On the drive to see a seal island and penguin roost I spotted a koala by the roadside. I stopped and the cuddly bear walked right up to me for some great photos! (Don't touch though!)
    I also enjoyed hanging around the outskirts of the city to see the homes & gardens of typical Aussies. Weird to see flocks of parakeets & cockatoos in trees and perched on telly lines.
    Don't waste your time shopping (I found prices high) but eat as much as you can (prices low)
    Have alcoholic drinks make with kiwi and make sure you get a fresh lobster.