The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which you would you choose?

I have a chance to use frozen semen from two long-deceased stallions. One is Wendekreis and the other is Lemon Park.
    All you Hanoverian experts out there: which one would you choose?
    My instincts say Wendekreis because my mare options have beautiful heads, and I have been warned that he can throw an old-fashioned face if bred to an old-fashioned mare. More importantly, did either of these two have a higher incidence of OCD or other soundness issues? Since long term ride-ability is the basis of our program, I would appreciate any input on levels achieved and longevity/soundness of offspring that anyone may know about.
    Thank you!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Having owned a mare by Lemon xx, I'm partial to Lemon Park. My mare produced a PSG mare and a successful hunter, among others. Lemon xx produced two Olympic event horses, Little Lemon B (Andreas Dibowski) and Little McMuffin, a Bucha horse named Literat, and a GP mare named Lucky Lemon (Christilot Boylen). As you can tell, kind of all-rounders when it comes to purpose. Look at pictures of these horses and compare to Lemon Park. Talk about "stamp"!

I've always liked the look of the Lemon xx and Lemon Park horses I've seen. They are usually bay, have big ears, rectangular bodies, and mellow mellow personalities. My own mare was a complete cream puff and passed it on to all her babies.

I know you're looking for specific info on Lemon Park. While I was always keyed in to Lemon xx horses, I'm not remembering the Lemon Park horses. That's just my memory, though; I know they're out there! I'm sure a quick internet search would show that. I seem to recall an AHS magazine article that featured a great GP Lemon Park mare in California.

My own opinion of him is that he's probably even better than Lemon xx, though it would depend on the mare. It's the same case with Wendekreis: also lots of successful offspring (I think Fabuleux has him in the pedigree, for example). Ultimately your choice depends on your mare. What is she like? What would you like to change if possible? What type/ discipline for the foal?
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I have a Wendekreis granddaughter by Wendenburg out of an Einblick mare.

She is 29 and going strong.

She has a gorgeous head.

She is short, 15.2H.

Forgot to comment on health. My Lemon xx mare, Lucy, spent her entire life as a broodmare, after being selected by Christmann for an American breeder and imported as a yearling. She produced 13 foals and always settled easily. Her last foal was a stunner by Liberty Gold in 2006.

She had an injury to a hind leg at some point before I got her and, left untreated, developed lymphangitis. Her health failed last year and I opted to put her down rather than struggle with daily pain. She was 23.

Neither she nor her foals had OCD, to the best of my knowledge. She was sound the day she died. She settled and foaled out easily, although a bit of retained placenta during her last foaling produced a uterine infection that ended her reproductive career.

I have pictures of several Lemon xx horses, as well as Lemon himself. If you're interested in them, just email me.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Maybe my memory is faulty but wasn't Lucky Lemon considered a challenging horse?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quite a few years ago now, Glenwood Farms imported a few Lemon Park offspring, all of whom I liked but there was a bay gelding I would have killed to own, and I don't usually seek out geldings. He had lovely movement, temperament, and looks in a dark bay package. Unfortunately he was a wee bit out of my price range, so it wasn't to be. There is currently a Lemon Park gelding competing at GP in California. I have always liked Wendekreis too, but if I had the druthers, Lemon Park it would be.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Can you post a picture of the two stallions and the mares you are trying to match? Also, do you know anything about how good the frozen is on either or both? That would sway me, I guess. I like Lemon Park personally, but either are certainly a very good opportunity.
    PennyG

What a nice dilemma to have! And what a great position to be in! I am very, very happy for you!

I have a tendency to think in generations. And I would love to have a Lemon Park mare. I would use the Lemon Park on a modern-type mare, light candles for a filly, keep the filly and then use the Wendekreis on HER.

Nothing wrong with striving to have your cake and eat it too.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Ditto ahf's game plan. What a great dilemma and what a fun project!

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    What a nice dilemma to have! And what a great position to be in! I am very, very happy for you!

I have a tendency to think in generations. And I would love to have a Lemon Park mare. I would use the Lemon Park on a modern-type mare, light candles for a filly, keep the filly and then use the Wendekreis on HER.

Nothing wrong with striving to have your cake and eat it too.
    Oh, you just want it all, don't you?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Wendekreis - http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=395506

ETA- the semen for Wendekreis is excellent according to our supplier. The LP has not been utilized as much but it is classified as very, very good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wendekreis.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	24524  
    Last edited by Tasker; Mar. 28, 2009 at 08:15 AM.

Probably best to post about your mare? very different stallions as you know.
    And then look at the semen next.
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Just on general theory Lemon Park....less commonly available bloodlines. I can't offer any input on soundness and OCD though.