The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equestrian Cohousing Communities

Is anyone familiar with any existing or planned cohousing communities that have an equestrian orientation?

For those unfamiliar with the cohousing concept, here's a pretty good description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohousing, but the basic concept is that people privately own their own homes and have joint ownership of community facilities. They're different from other types of planned communities in the level of participation of community members, both in the design and operation of the community.

Since so many of us dream about having a farm and keeping our horses at home but are deterred by either the expense or the work involved or probably by both, such a community might be one way to make it work. I am familiar with some planned communities that have equestrian facilities but these are generally upscale and do not usually entail the same level of participation as a co-housing community would.

Or do you think horse people are way too opinionated to ever make something like this work?

Like this:

http://www.fairfieldestates.com/

This is down the road from me and sort of a joke. "Real" horse people don't live there. The homes are big and IMO ugly. Good for the "Housewives of King City" I guess. The facility is quite nice (great footing) but just all a bit...forced?? Not my cup of tea.

BUT, I like the idea I just find this example poorly executed. If I could put much smaller homes on much or at least slightly bigger lots I would be interested. Homes that looked different from one another and were inhabited by real horsey folk. It would be lovely to walk or drive my atv over to the barn in the evenings and be able to have more than one beer after a ride and stumble home Why doesn't someone create one of these for us less-upscale sorts?
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Or do you think horse people are way too opinionated to ever make something like this work?
    Bingo. I think 99% of shared "equestrian communities" are absolutely dreadful.

First off, "sharing" facilities never works because no barn staff can make EVERYONE happy ALL THE TIME. And believe me, when they "own" a part of the shared facilities, everyone thinks they have a right to have things their way all the time. And if it's homeowners doing the work, you can't kick people out that aren't pulling their weight, because they own a right to be there, too. Way, way, way too much drama.

I would not even consider this.

There was actually a project kind of like this that was started up here in Ontario by Jay Hayes.

I believe it has been scrapped now, but the idea was that it was to be a sort of summer home condo community on the show grounds, with permanent stabling on the grounds available to residents. You paid a "membership fee" to join and then you were able to purchase a condo unit.

I am disappointed it won't be completed, it would have been sort of like the Wellington of the north.
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by Spud&Saf View Post
    There was actually a project kind of like this that was started up here in Ontario by Jay Hayes.

I believe it has been scrapped now, but the idea was that it was to be a sort of summer home condo community on the show grounds, with permanent stabling on the grounds available to residents. You paid a "membership fee" to join and then you were able to purchase a condo unit.

I am disappointed it won't be completed, it would have been sort of like the Wellington of the north.

There are two more coming...Thornbury and Caledon. Was Jay involved with either of those?

Here is the article that was in the Star:

http://www.fairfieldestates.com/review.html
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Not exactly the same, but my barn is owned by a large group (something like 12-13 owners) who pooled resources to build a nice facility for themselves/the trainer who normally had to haul to other indoors in winter.

I have a friend who is considering developing a small equestrian community like this -- Only I think she's leaning towards having it be rental apartments -- She's thinking of offering full care and a co-op boarding option --

I've boarded at a co-op barn, and have been sharing that experience with her -- I really enjoyed that barn -- Everyone was out every night, and we had a nice group of boarders -- I had a lot of flexibility in managing my mare's care, and she really seemed settled there -- But, managing a barn by committee takes more time and effort -- I had the time then -- Now I'm split between 2 barns, neither really close to home, and making the time to participate in a co-op would be difficult --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

The barn at the Fairfields is privately owned. What is the point of moving in the community if you don't like the trainer? So what happens when you want to switch trainers? I'm not sure I see the advantage. It says that 30% of the people who move in aren't riders. The houses there are in the 2.5-5 million range, with the lots selling for 900k. Why not just have your house in one location and your trainer and horse in another? It's alot easier to move a horse than a house every time you change trainers.

Only I think she's leaning towards having it be rental apartments -- She's thinking of offering full care and a co-op boarding option
    Renters are by nature very transient people. So are horse boarders. And *huge generalization* most people with the income to own horses probably own homes (chance to build equity, tax breaks). That's not a road I would travel..... if I wanted to make money.

The most successful equestrian communities are where they build a public facility in a development that satisfies open space requirements and people enjoy seeing the horses. In general, HOA's don't support it, it is self supporting. And the barns always end up so high end as to be completely not practical or really a compromise that satisfies no one.

I've never seen an example where someone said "wow, the equestrian facility made selling my homes easier".

Quote Originally Posted by Dun Ciarain View Post
    The barn at the Fairfields is privately owned. What is the point of moving in the community if you don't like the trainer? So what happens when you want to switch trainers? I'm not sure I see the advantage. It says that 30% of the people who move in aren't riders. The houses there are in the 2.5-5 million range, with the lots selling for 900k. Why not just have your house in one location and your trainer and horse in another? It's alot easier to move a horse than a house every time you change trainers.

I agree.

I would be tempted to call BS on that 30% stat...pretty sure it is much higher.

Again, I like the concept...execution is what is flawed. I wonder how it works? I have a friend who lives up the road in King Valley Estates and just because you drop millions on a home doesn't mean you don't still pay your dues every year too. So is it the same at Fairfield? At that price I would be the boarder from hell for sure and want my own farrier, vet, trainer...as well as outstanding care for my beasts and a perfect facility.

Also, if I had 2.5-5 million to spend I could move a short distance north and have my own perfect place WITH hired help and not have neighbours that I can see or any rules that I didn't invent. Maybe it is a silly idea. They haven't had any trouble selling the properties though so someone thinks it is great.

Also, if I had 2.5-5 million to spend I could move a short distance north and have my own perfect place WITH hired help and not have neighbours that I can see or any rules that I didn't invent. Maybe it is a silly idea. They haven't had any trouble selling the properties though so someone thinks it is great.
    See, that's the thing. For $2.5 million, here in Hunt Country, USA, I could buy myself a quite liveable little palace. I took a few minutes to play on the Thomas & Talbot website, where I found a bunch of absolutely gorgeous, horse centered residences for under that price...

http://www.thomasandtalbot.com/properties.asp

And some with even enough left over to pay a staff for a few years to accomodate my every need.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    See, that's the thing. For $2.5 million, here in Hunt Country, USA, I could buy myself a quite liveable little palace. I took a few minutes to play on the Thomas & Talbot website, where I found a bunch of absolutely gorgeous, horse centered residences for under that price...

And some with even enough left over to pay a staff for a few years to accomodate my every need.

How cute is this one???

http://www.thomasandtalbot.com/greystone.farm/index.htm

I could live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

The first one I clicked on has 52 acres + indoor + barn + house for less than some of the 2 acre lot + house are going for in Fairfield. I'd rather get my own estate for $4.5 million rather than a 2 acre lot + house for $5.0 million. At least the estate comes with the barn. Don't forget the Fairfield properties are just lots or lot + house. The equestrian facilites are separately owned.