The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Courtney King-Dye Clinic in Columbus OH (4/25 - 4/26) has openings

Hey all! The Ohio Dressage Society is hosting Courtney King-Dye at Timber Run Farm in Alexandria Ohio on April 25 and 26. There are still openings on Saturday and Sunday for riders. For additional information, check out the flyer: http://www.odswebsite.com/GeneralFor...urtneyKing.pdf

And if you can't ride, consider coming to audit. Feel free to email if you have any questions.

I've never seen Courtney clinic. If you have, I'd love to know what you thought of her.

As a non member, I think I'll pass. Now if I was a member...darn! I'd be happy to ride for the lowered fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    I'd be happy to ride for the lowered fee.
    You and me both!!! But you'd be amazed at how few members took advantage of that price.

The non member price is steep for the area, so I hope you can fill it with members.
    Last edited by slc2; Mar. 26, 2009 at 08:13 AM.

SLC (and anyone else):

What do you think an appropriate price would be for this type of clinic? I don't think they've ever brought in someone like Courtney, and I know they debated about price a lot. I'm sure they would really appreciate the feedback.

Also, what would you consider appropriate for an auditor fee?

Thanks!

My thoughts- Auditing $40... Per ride non-member $250. I've been to weekend clinics and paid $500 (two rides) with some top people. Sure maybe not an olympian, however, we are presently in an economic crisis here... I would sure go if she were closer and at the $250 price. Just me though.

Lisa Holman Guest

I agree with SLC. Whew! That's a big number for central Ohio. I think even the auditing fee is steep. Hope you can fill with ODS members.

I've always thought of $250 as the going rate for the big names on the East Coast. I'm going to audit Andreas Helgstrand in a few weeks and paid $80 for one day (there was a great reduced rate to audit all 4 days but I have to work), so those auditing fees seem reasonable to me, but I'm in NY.

Default Okay,it's just toooo much.

Well.... It wouldn't hurt if GMOs could 'cover' more of the cost of these clinics. Even for non members. But it ALSO wouldn't hurt if some of these people could get a tad realistic. Or just plain have PITY or MERCY or WHATEVER on us poor supplicants...

I was recently looking at different dressage instructors and trainers in my area, and I have to say, the prices everyone is charging just DO NOT HELP. There is SO MUCH complaint about the skill/quality level of American riders, especially AA, but it's no wonder with the rates these people are charging !!

I host clinics at my farm, so I know it costs $$$ to fly in someone from Europe or another state. And I know it is soooo nice when a rider gets to the level that they can charge $2000/day or more for clinics. But really $2000/day !!! Come on Jane, Come on Courtney, Come on Charles, and Walter and George and Anne and Betsy and all you demi-Gods, are you going to starve to death on $1000/day plus expenses ???

And even the local people, $90/lesson if I come to your farm ?? You're killing us, people.

Yes, $325 is too much. And it is part of the reason why so many riders get so little quality instruction.

Yikes $325 per ride for non members? I could see you getting a ton more people at $250 a ride.
    Just remember even if you don't fill the clinic you still have to pay whatever her fee per day is.

The reasonable price is what the market will bear.

I would audit, even at $60, because I know I can take away gems of wisdom to tuck away for later....

I can't pay $325...the level I ride at and what I will get from the ride doesn't justify the cost. A clinician at that level will want riders with a more independent seat...

You can't really 'take suggestions' and put them into action without adding up all your expenses and dividing them between expected auditors and number of lessons the clinician is willing to teach. Only you know your budget, but I also avoid t the idea that it's possible to make a mint bringing in even a very popular clinician to that area.

First all all I think you're making a huge mistake charging 'new members and non members' the same.

One of the BIG reasons for having clinics is to get people in to your club. If someone is willing to join for the clinic, GIVE THEM THE MEMBER PRICE!

I think to charge NEW members that much is horrible, to be honest. I was going to join your club but that just made me so mad I said, forget it, that's just nasty of them to pull that.

For the audit fees, remember where you are. 25 a day to audit. Members participating can have their helpers audit for free, and bring one free friend auditor. Auditors are where you make money, they are your profit. Try to get as many as you can.

I think it's awful cheesy to tell them to bring their own chairs, to be honest, if each person involved brought a few chairs you wouldn't have to pay for renting any, or for gosh sakes, you could just put down some hay bales for people, if you have a bunch of people show up and there's no where to sit all day they aren't going to be impressed. And what do they get for the fee? Nothing, no food, nothing. At least offer some little thing. This is central Ohio. Everyone's just been laid off.

For the non member fee, just remember, your chances of filling are low if you charge that much. And it just comes off as really mean spirited, like, 'you're not in the club so you pay a whole lot extra'.

What I would do is charge them the regular fee plus some, and make an amount that encourages them to JOIN! But not punitive.

I'd say you'd be real lucky to get non member people to pay 250, three some is wild, it also makes your club look bad.

Thanks all for your replies. SLC, I understand your reaction. It actually isn't much different than my own. I'm actually not an ODS member yet. I just posted this to help them out, so I have no idea what their cost is to put it on. I'm an eventer and I decided to do one less show so I could do this clinic instead (it's at my barn, so it's pretty convenient). It is hard for me to justify the expense, though.

I have forwarded this discussion to organizing members so that your thoughts and opinions aren't lost on me.

This is all FWIW - Hell, I live on the other side of the globe

With the auditing I like that they have given the YRs a reduced fee. Big ups. Parents (in general) already provide so much for their children it is good for the kids to attempt to pay for it themselves. I like the incentive of a lunch to entice people to register for it early - also a good idea. The seat thing is not an issue for me. We have to provide seating at clinics here generally. Funniliy enough at the end of our outdoor arena we put landscaped terraced seating so people could sit under the trees either on chairs, or on the ground and watch clinics - we haven't tested it yet, but hope to soon.

I also like that there is a benefit being provided for those that are members and have actually voluntarily contributed to the group. I DO think that the $325 is excessive, particularly when it applies to new members. That would not encourage me to join the group.

I would in the current economic times consider $225 as a ride fee, but certainly not $325. Then again, I am a young-ish rider, with parents who support me hugely, but I make sacrifices when it comes to clinics. I don't know if it is because CKD herself charges so much, or they are making $$ or the fact that the non-members have to cover for the members who have put in the hard yards, but whatever that is simply too much for me.

I think the fact that there is a HUGE difference in people that have provided help and haven't is a little concerning, and advertising that fact would probably have lowered your entrants significantly as they would have realised they are subsidising those members.

Edited to Add:
    Here in NZ our NF brings over a young guy (23-25ish?) called Hubertus who trains with Hubertus Schmidt and has for quite some time. There was a huge uproar when he first came as they were charging $300/ride for the plebs but it was only $100 for people that were on the National squads. People objected to having to subsidise the top people's riding, when they are the ones that usually have the sponsorship to cover it.
    Anywho, I didn't go to those clinics as $600 for two days, for 1.5hours just seemed excessive, and I was fairly sure that I would get more out of 12 odd lessons (so 12 hours) with my usual instructor than two (and 90mins) with him.
    Last edited by Surviving the Dramas; Mar. 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
    If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can't buy.

-Anon

My Dear Old Dad (God rest his soul), was a salesman, and used to tell me....10% of $100 is more than 0% of $1000.
    The lower the price, the more riders, the more you make
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]