The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I noticed AQHA stallion owners are reducing breeding fees due to the economy....

Have you noticed any warmblood stallion owners doing this as well?

I saw one Morgan stallion owner advertising a lower fee this year, about $1500 LESS than last years fee. It's still pretty high though even at this years fee of $3500.

Stud fees for Thoroughbred stallions are way down this year--though they've been really inflated for the last half dozen years or so.

The OP is new to this forum. Yes many warmblood stallion owners are offering price reductions.

I fled to the sidelines last year. No foals this year.

There are definitely many Stallion Owners of various breeds lowering stud fees and/or offering Mare Owner incentives, myself included. I've seen many warmblood Stallion Owners doing the same thing.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

It seemed to me like many of the Hanoverian/Oldenburg stallion owners, at least the ones I like, didn't lower fees and if anything raised fees. I found that a little surprising, especially in light of what appeared to be lowered interest in the auctions.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    It seemed to me like many of the Hanoverian/Oldenburg stallion owners, at least the ones I like, didn't lower fees and if anything raised fees. I found that a little surprising, especially in light of what appeared to be lowered interest in the auctions.
    I think lowered fees have the potential to devalue the stallion's offspring if taken too low. That's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree.

I opted instead of lower fees, to try some new things, like a "Dream Come True Foal Guarantee". We'll see how it goes.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I guess it is pretty much of a cosmic shrug here. Devalue or not, if one is on the fence about breeding because of an imploding economy and the thought of maintaining said foals from birth to backing, and the expense that entails with hay prices through the roof, a raised studfee can make the difference between breeding or not.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I think lowered fees have the potential to devalue the stallion's offspring if taken too low. That's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree.
    I completely agree...if this was a regular, ordinary year. Unfortunately, with the current US economy, it definitely makes the last year to two years an exception. While we would normally be doing a high volume of resales and 10 or so stud fees each year, it has done a 180, in that our resales have come to a stand still but we're selling stud fees left and right. People are admitting that the poor economy is making them leery about spending money on a youngster, but they have the cash on hand right now to breed their mare and produce their own baby. Hindsight, by the time that foal grows up to be a 4 year old going under saddle, it will likely cost a Mare Owner more money in the end to breed their own. But I understand that with the current economy, one might be able to afford a stud fee + veterinary costs over the purchase price of a going youngster. While it may end up costing them more in the end, at least they have a chance to pay for it over time.

Personally, I see more harm coming from a Stallion Owner over breeding to too many mares each year and flooding the market with foals. I find that can potentially devalue a foal, but I know I have argued that with many Stallion Owners too. Even worse is the Stallion Owner who breeds to anything and everything and doesn't have a concern for whether that mare is a good cross with the stallion or not. It only takes one or two mediocre foals on the ground for Mare Owners to think twice about a stallion.

The new stallion we purchased, Penrhyn Sporting Chance, had his stud fee at $1,000 CAD up until we purchased him. We lowered it to $600 CAD for this year, one, because of the economy, and two, as an introductory rate due to standing at a new farm. He holds the record for siring the highest priced pony at any of the American Hunter Pony Finals Auctions at $75,000 US. He's got many winning offspring on the USEF Hunter Circuit, but I don't think lowering his stud fee for this year to help Mare Owners out is going to affect the value of the foals at all. Regardless, I'm willing to take that risk if it potentially helps Mare Owners out in this current economy and shows them that we're willing to help support our Mare Owners. So far, we've heard nothing but good things and seem to be getting the mares booked as a result.
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I guess it is pretty much of a cosmic shrug here. Devalue or not, if one is on the fence about breeding because of an imploding economy and the thought of maintaining said foals from birth to backing, and the expense that entails with hay prices through the roof, a raised studfee can make the difference between breeding or not.
    Agreed!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Not wanting to start a flame war, but less breeding (especially AQHA breeding) might not be such a bad thing.

If one has a truly focused breeding program with an established market for foals, that's one thing. But for most, a few years off wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Not wanting to start a flame war, but less breeding (especially AQHA breeding) might not be such a bad thing.

If one has a truly focused breeding program with an established market for foals, that's one thing. But for most, a few years off wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    I completely agree with that too. It was a tough one for us, deciding whether to drop our stud fees or not. Ourselves, personally, cut back on breeding due to the economy. While I'm sure it will pop back up at some point, we're only on 10 acres so just don't have the room to be producing more babies and "waiting the drought out". I cringe when I see people on this BB saying they have 8 mares bred for 2009 or are planning to breed more for 2010. While I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to stop breeding entirely until the economy starts to come back up, I don't think it's such a mad thing for some of us to cut back a bit until such time. So, for that reason, I really thought twice about lowering our stud fees and potentially fueling the fire so to speak. In the end, even though we have dropped two of our stallions fees for 2009, we are still not accepting all of the Mare Owners who have been inquiring and are still only accepting the best crossed mares for each stallion, and as well, to make sure we don't flood the market with foals.

I also forgot to mention that I really liked Gretchen's idea of not dropping their stud fees, but as an alternative, offered a good marketing incentive for Mare Owners.

I have seen some nice Warmblood stallions with lower fees this year - there ARE some deals to be had, especially with some of the younger stallions. And I've seen some of the early booking discounts lasting later into the year too!
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

I don't envy SOs setting studfees; somewhere there is a perfect fee, in between so high that MOs go elsewhere and so reasonable that the market is flooded with foals. The recent thread about Romantic Star and the number of MOs who had looked at him and gone elsewhere, in a good economy I might add, was illuminating. However, I don't like to breed to a stallion who is covering 70 or so mares a year because marketing the foals becomes difficult. In this economy though, particularly when you add on collection and shipping and vet fees, high fresh semen fees could send many MOs to the friendly frozen dealer, among other options, if they breed at all.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

I've seen really good early booking discounts offered, but I've not seen anybody actually reduce the cost of the stud fee for the entire season. Nor do I necessarily think they should, after all, they still have the same costs associated for keeping the stallion. I agree that too many discounts will mean more foals on the ground and potentially less of a market for the offspring.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

While I did not lower my stallion's fee, I have changed the agreement to charge a portion of the stud fee as a booking fee up front, and the balance due when the mare is confirmed in foal. That takes some of the risk out of paying all up front, and not getting the mare in foal.

It also helps by offering a bit of a payment plan.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    And I don't agree <grin>. I think what does ultimately determine the value - both potential and realized - of a stallion's offspring is the offspring! The proof is in the pudding! I think one has to be careful selecting mares that are going to optimize and produce the best quality foals, but if he's producing good quality foals, the value of those foals isn't going to be impacted by the difference between a $500.00 stud fee and a $2,000 stud fee. The perception initially may be that you're not getting the same quality, but the ultimate reality may be quite different.

That's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree <lol..

Kathy St.Martin
    To subscribe to our newsletters, go to:
    http://visitor.constantcontact.com/e...=1102379037302

Quote Originally Posted by Amoroso View Post
    I've seen really good early booking discounts offered, but I've not seen anybody actually reduce the cost of the stud fee for the entire season. Nor do I necessarily think they should, after all, they still have the same costs associated for keeping the stallion. I agree that too many discounts will mean more foals on the ground and potentially less of a market for the offspring.
    Only if the Stallion Owner decides to take in every Mare Owner that knocks on their door. We will likely take no more mares than we did any other year. We just decided, with the current economy in the US (which is where all of our shipped semen ends up), that we'd try and give Mare Owners a bit of a break.