The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Two Thumbs up for Schleese!!!

OK, I purchased my Schleese in May of 2008. I missed their trip out to Alberta in September due to Provincials/Western Regionals. Got in on this trip.

Natalie was again a true joy to deal with, a real professional! She measured Freddy all up and all we ended up doing was re-stuffing his saddle (I prefer wool flocking over flair).

It amazes me to "see" how his measurements have changed but the saddle still fits. And to see that his circumfrence has actually come down as well So happy, as he does tend to be a very easy keeper.

I'm surprised to hear people are still purchasing Schleese saddles. All I've ever read on various forums are horror stories involving bad experiences with them and/or the company. I think people either love them or hate them! Glad to hear you had a good experience with them.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

Hi Paula M I have also used Natalie and she is a very good fitter in my experience as well. Daventry, i find your comment funny. There are a lot of bad experiences written regarding various saddlers, including Schleese, DK and others...I am pretty sure it makes a big difference who your fitter is. Schleese can turn out a very nice product. My saddle was made beautifully and fit beautifully. I think that they are one of the better options out there in Canada for a for a fitted saddle.

I heard the same horror stories but needed a custom saddle made to fit my young horse and quickly. I choose Schleese because I could get it custom fitted to my horse at my barn.. I LOVE my saddle! The first saddle I have owned in many yrs that fit us both.. Yes, I agree.. A definate plus to owning a Schleese is having a very good representative in your area. I have owned Childric, Hennig and other saddles that are top notch but really am enjoying the schleese. There is a saddle for everyone just as there is a horse. We all have different preferences and expectations..

I love mine too, my horse has gigantic shoulders , and I have a custom with flair that i have had for 5 years. I get emails every 3 months or so with the dates and places they will be in my area for a fitting.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Between my husband and myself we have owned four schleese saddles and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Our entire experience with them over many years has been excellent.

yup, it seems either you are lucky and have a good experience, or you aren't and its a horror story. Count me in the latter group.
    I wouldn't be so quick to blame the fitters who don't share the company name.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

PaulaM that's awesome! I'm so glad for you!
    I still need to come meet Freddy. Maybe one day I'll drag my new guy out to the W/T (I didn't know they had one untill recently! what fun!!) at C'n'C.

It's true, there was some real horror from that Pacific Island over the Rockies to the Prairies, enough to keep many people away. Good to hear they've cleaned things up a bit, b/c options are always good.
    For jumper types, CWD seems to be a really great company.. don't know if they make dressage though-?

In my recent saddle search I tried many many different saddles.
    I also was VERY hesitant to try Schleese after hearing horror stories.
    A few other boarders have Schleese and one offered to let us try hers, but I remained stubborn.
    After trying a LOT of different saddles...everything from Stubben (3) to Passier(2) to Amerigo, along with a couple of older Schleese and a few unknowns... I finally gave in and tried her Schleese.
    WOW...
    The pony loved it.
    I loved it.

So I ate my words, and we are now the extremely happy owners of our very own Schleese.
    The fitter was wonderful. Took her time and did a great job.

Thumbs up

I also bought a Schleese last year. After having the explanation as to why my beloved Passier didn't fit my horse, I couldn't in good conscience continue pushing him into more and more collection in that saddle. The Passier was too long for his back - something I had not considered before.

The ironic part - once I sold the horse I paid off my Schleese. So now I have a 4 yo filly and I've been using the Schleese on her. To my vaguely-trained mind, it's working fine, but we're getting fitted this weekend. This was the deciding factor for me in purchasing my Schleese - that I would have the opportunity to be "serviced" on a regular basis. That is something no other saddler could offer in my area.

And so far my experience has been wonderful. I dote over my filly and my saddle.
    Last edited by Dressagemaiden; Mar. 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM.

Love my Schleese. Bought it for a specific horse and mostly to fit me (needed a custom saddle, long thighs!). Bought another horse and it worked for her beautifully. In fact, put another nice brand on this horse, seemed to fit her, and she acted lame! Freaked me out. Put her back under the Schleese, back to normal. I am a very satisfied customer.
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

natalie was out to see me too last week! was quite happy with things! fixed the fit of things (the saddle was starting to tip me forward a bit) and now we're golden. she also took a quick look at my 3 year old and my passier saddle, put some air into it and widened it a bit for free.
    I LOVE my schleese and have had nothing but positive experiences with them
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

uncanny Guest

I love BOTH of my schleese's!

I've tried many other saddles out and didn't enjoy any of them but as soon as i sat in one of scleese's, i was in love. It felt like sitting on a pillow and my mare was sooo happy with it.
    And natalie is by far the best of their representatives, there was an other woman that came up her for the saddle fitting and she was no help at all. As soon as she found out that i wanted to go used, she ignored us. But we finally did end up going new.

But yes, i own a dressage saddle and one of their jumping saddles and i love them both!

Again... Schleese makes a wonderful saddle but if you don't have a very good representative to make the required adjustments when necessary than that is when I found people to become extremely irritated to say the least.. This when the the horror stories begin.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of needing service more quickly than they provide. They only have a couple of fitters on staff, but they are all really knowledgeable and absolutely do their best when they are on-site with you. Not many manufacturers of their size even do that much - I have never seen a single "Passier" fitter travel all over the place to fit their saddles.
    There are always two sides to every story; my experiences have been 'mostly' good, but I like to think that because we're all human, and when you weigh the alternatives, Schleese is one of the best choices out there, bar none.

Default A mini-hijack

Good to hear nice things about Schleese saddles, as a friend of mine is looking at some used jumping ones.

3S, does your company make jumping saddles as well as dressage?
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Sorry, not my company, but yes they do.

Saddles are decent but based on personal experience with 'customer service" will not deal with them any more.

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    Sorry, not my company, but yes they do.
    Oops, I saw "3s" and thought it was from the Schleese logo!
    Anyway, will check out their site for jumping saddles.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

i think her name is Beanie Baby. That's what she posts under at UDBB