The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody showing at Pebble Beach?

If you are say hi to the fog and trees for me... and Sally Hudson too...

I learned to ride at Pebble in the 70's when Dick Collins had the place. It was so much different back then. They still had cross country jumps and steeplechases. There was this awesome Pony Club and we all rode these great horses they had for the school.

My favorite was Snort! I also loved the ponies.. the funnest was Nutmeg. They were all named after spices.

I may be moving back to Monterey area in May.. so I may be at the Summer Pebble shows...

Do they have breeding classes? Maybe the Zunster (my holsteiner filly coming 2 next month) could be shown in them..

Back to the left coast it may be for me.. job prospects are slim for me here in DC, my profession seems to have vanished with the economy.

I won't mind going to Carmel beach though.. I miss the Pacific. The beaches are not the same in the East.

One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

I probably am! It will be my first time, so I don't know about the types of classes. I'll probably do the first or second week of the summer classic. I can't wait! I'm pretty sure I'm doing jumpers but I might do eq. if my trainer has a suitable horse for me to ride!

OMG! I miss pebble so much too. We showed in the fog so many times that it just isn't funny. I wonder how they judge those rounds, on the two fences they can see?? Haha..it broke my heart to leave.

Of course Stormy isn't teaching there any more, so we could never really 'go back' anyway. It would be different.

In 2007 DD was her division champ for the Monterey Bay series. We stayed a month past dh's Naval Post Grad school was over just so she could do the last show in the series. The day after it ended we drove out for the east coast.

Here's a picture of her leading pony back to the barn after her last class, in the fog of course. I've never cried so hard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/_7FD6846.jpg

Pebble always had a unique smell to it. With the sand, the pine trees, and the old old barns.... it just had a mystique about it.

I heard that it might be torn down and moved.. that will make me very sad it happens. It has a very important history for a lot of people.

It's very unique especially for California. I love the trails around there as well through the forest.

Cool photo, thanks for posting... brings back so many memories.
    One of a Kind Studio

You are in luck as they do have hunter breeding. Usually runs at the end of the day on Tuesday or Wednesday. Sadly the grass field now has sand warmups and show rings in the summer. They won't tear the place down. They have been saying that for at least the last ten years, but it never happens.

Our barn is planning to show there for a couple of weeks in July. Everyone who went with our barn the past two years has loved it. It looks like now that my D has her new horse and they are doing so well together we will plan to go for at least one of the weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa View Post
    Pebble always had a unique smell to it. With the sand, the pine trees, and the old old barns.... it just had a mystique about it.

I heard that it might be torn down and moved.. that will make me very sad it happens. It has a very important history for a lot of people.
    They were going to build a golf course where the current equestrian center is located and build a new equestrian center in another area of the forest. The plan was opposed by a few people and after all approvals (including the by the voters) was achieved, it got hung up in the California Coastal Commission. The developers withdrew their proposal. While about 4,000 trees were going to be removed in the plan, another 10,000 trees were going to be added. Many of the less prestigous and less glamorous areas of Pebble Beach would have been reclaimed, improved and reforested. The "Concerned Residents of Pebble Beach" group wants the status quo maintained at Pebble Beach and opposes any reforestation or improvement plans. Since 100s of trees fall each year in the Del Monte Forest and are not replaced, I wonder what the Del Monte Forest is going to look like in another 20 years. I think they are supposed to improve the existing Pebble Beach Equestrian Center, unless the "Concerned Crackpots" oppose that and the existing facilities continue to decay from the salt air and moisture that is prevalent at Pebble Beach. The "Concerned Residents" group has not planted one single tree in the forest - their only mission is to oppose any ideas from anyone.

Bottom line is that the Equestrian Center is still there and won't be going anywhere unless the "Concerned Residents" manage to get the trails in the forest removed since they are "harmful to the natural environment" - of course, so are the members of the "Concerned Residents" group and their houses that are located in the Del Monte Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dun Ciarain View Post
    They were going to build a golf course where the current equestrian center is located and build a new equestrian center in another area of the forest. The plan was opposed by a few people and after all approvals (including the by the voters) was achieved, it got hung up in the California Coastal Commission. The developers withdrew their proposal. While about 4,000 trees were going to be removed in the plan, another 10,000 trees were going to be added. Many of the less prestigous and less glamorous areas of Pebble Beach would have been reclaimed, improved and reforested. The "Concerned Residents of Pebble Beach" group wants the status quo maintained at Pebble Beach and opposes any reforestation or improvement plans. Since 100s of trees fall each year in the Del Monte Forest and are not replaced, I wonder what the Del Monte Forest is going to look like in another 20 years. I think they are supposed to improve the existing Pebble Beach Equestrian Center, unless the "Concerned Crackpots" oppose that and the existing facilities continue to decay from the salt air and moisture that is prevalent at Pebble Beach. The "Concerned Residents" group has not planted one single tree in the forest - their only mission is to oppose any ideas from anyone.

Bottom line is that the Equestrian Center is still there and won't be going anywhere unless the "Concerned Residents" manage to get the trails in the forest removed since they are "harmful to the natural environment" - of course, so are the members of the "Concerned Residents" group and their houses that are located in the Del Monte Forest.
    LOL, I am familiar with how things work in Monterey... my dad is a Commercial Broker... same old story. Just like how they won't widen Hwy 1 in Carmel... or build a new reservoir... etc etc.

The will have to do something about the PBEC barns sometime.. when I was there in the late 70's and 80's they were old and rotting... I can imagine it's only worse now.

Has Tim Postel done any work on the barns? Are they any better than when the Collins and the couple of in between folks had it (Abby Foss etc..)?
    One of a Kind Studio

LOL, I am familiar with how things work in Monterey... my dad is a Commercial Broker... same old story. Just like how they won't widen Hwy 1 in Carmel... or build a new reservoir... etc etc.

The will have to do something about the PBEC barns sometime.. when I was there in the late 70's and 80's they were old and rotting... I can imagine it's only worse now.

Has Tim Postel done any work on the barns? Are they any better than when the Collins and the couple of in between folks had it (Abby Foss etc..)?
    I've been over at the show a few times, but I haven't managed to look at the Equestrian Center for a number of years.

You must remember the old Monterey National Horse Show at the fair grounds (?) - I liked that show. Hopefully one day they will get the Monterey Horse Park built.

Default OMG miss it! And funny story

The fog-- captures the cypress smell... makes everything so quiet, cool and peaceful unlike so many other horse shows in Cali... the forest trails (neat Los Altos Hounds hunter paces there too, back in the day). I miss it.

Except for the year it flooded. But we got lucky. Trainer's truck wanted the day off, so we had to go down a day late. You need to understand that this woman normally bedded horses up to their eyeballs beginning with 8 or 10 full-sized bails of shavings. That was $100 in shavings to you and me. Good thing her truck punted because our section of stalls was entirely flooded the night we would have arrived, and we would have had to strip the stalls and start over for some very unhappy clients. It was all good from there... the fog... the quiet... the smell.

Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dun Ciarain View Post
    I've been over at the show a few times, but I haven't managed to look at the Equestrian Center for a number of years.

You must remember the old Monterey National Horse Show at the fair grounds (?) - I liked that show. Hopefully one day they will get the Monterey Horse Park built.
    Yes, I remember the National Horse show at the fairgrounds.. I showed there for 9 years or so. I miss that old venue, it was like one of the old shows back East. Too bad they stopped it.. but I remember it running til 2 am sometimes, because they had so many classes in one arena.

If you are on facebook there has been a group formed for "Equestrians back in the Day" and there are many photos of people showing at both the old Monterey show and Pebble Beach.. back when the arena was big and open and you could jump in and out of the ring.
    One of a Kind Studio

Yes, I remember the National Horse show at the fairgrounds.. I showed there for 9 years or so. I miss that old venue, it was like one of the old shows back East. Too bad they stopped it.. but I remember it running til 2 am sometimes, because they had so many classes in one arena.

If you are on facebook there has been a group formed for "Equestrians back in the Day" and there are many photos of people showing at both the old Monterey show and Pebble Beach.. back when the arena was big and open and you could jump in and out of the ring.
    If you're not familiar with the Monterey Horse Park plans:

http://www.montereyhorsepark.org/

It's still a few years off. The clean-up of the Ford Ord site is supposed to be completed by the end of next year. Hopefully the country will be out of the recession and money will be available to build it.

As much as I like the Pebble Beach shows, it would be nice to have a dedicated facility. During the spring and fall PB shows, cars zip by within ten feet of the arenas. During the summer shows, the field across from the permanent facility has arenas, so the road that runs through the facility is closed. There are always a few knuckleheads who manage to drag race down the road (Stevenson? - I can't remember it's name) when it is open and there are horses only a few feet away.

Yes that has always been a problem at PBEC, with the road there.

I happen to be a Landscape Architect by profession, I have a great interest in the design of parks like this. I may inquire to see if there is any additional design help needed on it. My dad is a very active member of the Marina/Fort Ord redevelopment, is a member of the Chamber of Commerce in Marina and is a commercial real estate broker in the area. Maybe it would be a good project for me to get involved in if I move back to the area.

Thanks for the link.

Kindra Ericksen
    One of a Kind Studio