The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cai dressage tests?

I went to kingdom of the sun CDE and they had the regular divisions but also had several CAI tests. I'm confused what those are for?
    I read something about for competing internationally but the lower level tests were more like green drivers that I can't imagine would ever show internationally until they greatly improved. Can anyone explain what these test are and why the experienced people that may show internationally were not taking them?

http://www.drivingnews.us/results/re...15-Omnibus.pdf

It states the CAI 1 in the red. The reason,...I don't know. BUT drivers that have shown internationally but may be driving a younger inexperienced horse/pony will drive in the lower divisions to get the horse/pony some experience.

So that will be the reason why international drivers will drive the interm, or prelim classes.

I know this doesn't help at all but every.single.time. I pass this thread on my way to the Menagerie forum, I think it says "Cat dressage tests"!
    RoanPonyMare

1 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    I know this doesn't help at all but every.single.time. I pass this thread on my way to the Menagerie forum, I think it says "Cat dressage tests"!
    Same here. So I offer you this.
    https://www.facebook.com/uscdf
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    http://www.drivingnews.us/results/re...15-Omnibus.pdf

It states the CAI 1 in the red. The reason,...I don't know. BUT drivers that have shown internationally but may be driving a younger inexperienced horse/pony will drive in the lower divisions to get the horse/pony some experience.

So that will be the reason why international drivers will drive the interm, or prelim classes.
    I asked my well known instructor and they really couldn't answer the question either.
    I know you have to do the level 1 before going on to level 2 but I also notice they had 2 diiferent level ones, one had a T in it and the other had a W. I thought the T might have meant training but don't know what the W meant. The 2 different tests had the same entries in it.

can I change my answer.

I have friends on FB that are advance level FEI and International drivers and THEY don't know the answer. So I have no idea, they have no idea, and the drivers have no idea. !!! LOL

But from what I have gleaned, it has something to do with drivers having to successfully complete 2, 1* competitions in order to compete at 2*. Then there was a class that did not complete in the D section of the marathon (why anyone would NOT want to do the fun part is beyond me ...but, anyway)

Its confusing. Did they JUST change the rules? The sport is already losing competitors, they need to make the rules simpler not more complex

Ok I've learned a bit more. You just have to show up and not get eliminated in cones and dressage to move on to level 2. So pretty much anyone can get qualified. Seems like some skill should be involved to move up and marathon is not required at level 1, which it should be. So now you have inexperienced drivers that have now moved on to level 2.

Someone posted on FB how now they are qualified to compete internationally and everyone thought it was impressive even though they did not drive the test well. People just assume your skilled if your qualifying.
    Of course they took the kudos and didn't explain how easy it is to move up and a beginner could easily do it.

I found this about CAI levels from Hardy Zantke on the CD-L

Quote:
    Yes, unfortunately that new FEI stuff it is very confusing. Thank you,
    Jack, for posting the link to the USEF explanations. You can also read
    my article on it in the March edition of Driving Digest coming out
    soon. Kingdom of the Son ran two CAI 1* (just dressage & cones) right
    one after the other, so drivers could qualify to be able to do a CAI 2*
    (regular FEI CDE for which you need to be qualified, either
    grandfathered in by previous FEI experience, or by having completed two
    CAI 1*. CAI stands for Competition Attelage (driving) International.
    hardy

It seems the best explanation I have seen so far. Also in the CD-L discussion was a site giving descriptions for the abreviations and "summeries" about the wording and who fit which catagories. There are several pages, so quite a bit of information to be found.

https://www.usef.org/documents/highP...StarSystem.pdf

Part of doing this at a Competiton is to get folks qualified doing these levels, moving up, so there is not a problem about being qualified should they be picked for a Team to go to Europe as happened before. In my area for example, there just are not ANY CAI competitions to qualify at. But if more places offer them, more people could qualify without it being a hardship or taking extraordinary effort, like coming East from the West Coast. Driving is NEVER cheap, so if a person can qualify, compete, at one location, it will save a few $$ and a great deal of time.

When in doubt (and because I am an FEI Eventing Steward) www.fei.org, click on rules and then on Driving and Para rules. Rule 913.2 spells out what one has to do.