The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Anyone have a horse who really is DESIGNED for a certain discipline?

While I'm totally of the idea that any breed of horse can do a little bit of just about any discipline if they're trained right and the rider is game for it, I just love to see a horse who is totally designed for their job. A horse that can perform at a certain disicpline so beautifully, because their conformation just kinda springboards them there. It's amazing to see!

I was thinking about this today after my ride. I own a little QH/Paint mare, basically not trained at all before I got her. At the moment we're rehabbing from an injury, and just finally getting back into some real, serious work. For awhile I basically let her pick her speed at the trot, because the vet told me to just let her choose her pace so she's comfortable. But now the vet's cleared me for more, to get her back into harder work, I'm slowly reintroducing actually using herself and not just trotting around with her head all over the place and her hind end just trailing along.

Towards the end of our ride, I decided to see if she remembered working on a proper jog. I'm talking the WP-esque, poll level to the withers, realllllly using that hind end to make just a beautiful, slow as molasses (BUT STILL 2 BEATS!) jog. I dropped the reins, sat down deep in the saddle, exhaled a longggg breath, told her "Easy now" (her vocal cue for slowing from trot to jog).

Her response? Sat back on her big ol' butt, raised her back (I could actually FEEL her back raise up under me), relaxed her neck into a perfect "head carriage" (without me touching the reins, mind you ), and just jogged along like an expert. We haven't tried a true jog in at least 6 months, and she was able to do 5 or 6 strides of a PERFECT jog because well.. that's what she's made for!

Now, brag about yours! What can your horse do AMAZINGLY, because they're just soooo suited for it? I love to see horses succeeding at what they were bred to do!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Purpose bred is purpose bred... regardless of the 'breed(s)'

Too late to post pics now, but I might tomorrow. Xbred but PURPOSE bred filly was pirouetting at day 3... and I have a 'Spanish Trot' photo as well. A canter pic as a 2yo which you could put the double, top hat and tails on.

Having found out the difference between purpose bred and 'trying to get the best' of a horse at a job it's not really suited for... I won't go back. To me it seems much like dogs, that retrieve or point is built right in. (I had a Viszla X Lab cross who pointed AND retrieved!)

Cow is right up there. Pretty damn humbling to sit on a horse and work cows for the first time and have the horse cut almost right out from underneath you. Green, my foot!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

That is, after all, what successful breeders do .

Yup, a good breeder produces as many of the ones who it comes natural to as possible. Makes sense...it's FAR easier to fine tune what they already do rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
    I have a reining bred QH...slow is not a speed he has, LOL! I guess you could say he does canter pirouettes...just REALLY fast, LMAO!
    My late mare wanted nothing to do with anything but dressage, she was bred for it, trained for it and also wanted nothing to do with anything else.
    And then I've had a handful of Happy To Try Anything horses...those are always fun!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My cutting horses are bred to do just that " cut ". I've had a few people over the years tell me any horse could be taught to cut ( none have ever proved it though ) until they sit on a cutting horse and turn it loose. They all have a problem with the whole " let go of the reins " thing though.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

When I got LittleHorse from the rescue, his story was that he was unsaleable due to being too high-energy for kids, and too small for adults. Hello... he's an Arab! Of course he's small and high-energy! So I started taking him out on the the trails, and the farther we go, the happier he his. When he gets a good trot rhythm going, he feels like he can go forever. I have zero experience with endurance, but he made it totally obvious to me that that's what he's meant to do. So our first endurance ride is next month
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

My Percheron was made to be in harness. When were showing she shines and is so animated and loves her job. I have asked her to be a riding horse and we show under saddle, she does it but you can tell she does it because I ask her to do so. I would rather her be happy than not.

My boy was purpose bred for Saddle Seat and everything about him works for it. I honestly cannot see him doing anything else with the neck he has...

http://picasaweb.google.com/asbrider...53632890341874

Can you see this jumping a fence? LOL! I think he'd tip over! The Dressage riders at the barn LOFF his movement but again, the neck is just too much. But Saddle Seat? Born for it.

He LOVES to show, loves to primp himself around the ring, loves applause and cheering.

Yes-- I have several walking horses -- these horses were originally designed to comfortably carry riders for miles at a brisk pace without muss, fuss or bother -- or trotting- And that is what my walkers do.

My driving horse is a Gelderlander...made to be a coaching horse...he does it admirably...looks kind've "pluggy" just standing there. Hitch him to a carriage and he's stepping up and really moving out.

I think my one mare was designed to be a Lippizzaner stallion. She has incorporated several movements of airs above the ground into her repetoire.

Ah well. That's not what you meant is it?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My mare loves parades . . . the hustle and bustle, all the different things to look at and bagpipes!! Here we are in the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Parade.
    (We are in the center - she is the chestnut)

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/31...425x425Q85.jpg

She always puts her "best hoof forward" while "on stage"!

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    That is, after all, what successful breeders do .
    Ironically, my mare is not from some fancy top-name breeder. Neither her sire nor dam are famous, you have to go back to grandparents and great-grandparents to see anything impressive (not the sire Impressive, mind you ). But she is definitely, unmistakeably a stock horse! Wide as a tank and ripped like a bodybuilder.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

When we start colts bred to be reiners, they move right from the first time you get on them, you just guide them.
    Any other horse you are trying to teach the same, you have to work hard to get half as much as those colts already give you the first ride.

The same cutting, where we can watch several colts starting to cut, all bred the same and some will just get down and move, others have to be shown again and again what to do, but those not bred for it won't even have any interest in cows.

On the other hand, the jumpers we had around 50 years ago came from all walks of life and breeds.
    We trained them so far and some became top jumpers and others just didn't have the eye or heart for it.
    I think that after 50 years of breeding for jumpers, more of their offspring will jump well than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    My mare loves parades . . . the hustle and bustle, all the different things to look at and bagpipes!! Here we are in the 2009 Presidential Inaugural Parade.
    (We are in the center - she is the chestnut)

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/31...425x425Q85.jpg

She always puts her "best hoof forward" while "on stage"!
    WOW!! Are you riding sidesadde, too?!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My KWPN would be the most amazing jumper if he wasn't so spooky. He is fast, can jump ANYTHING, but still thinks that the bright poles and people are quite scary. Silly greenie.
    proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

My half Connemara/half TB mare really feels like she was "made" to do cross country. She's barefoot, catty, has a huge jump, and is so enthusiatic about cross country. She is the third horse I've started over cross country fences and by far the easiest. You can tell she just thinks it's massive fun. The minute I unload her at for schooling or at an event she stares intently at the cross country course and starts to whinny. Her second time out schooling she jumped the entire training course at Twin Rivers like a pro, such a clever girl. Connemaras truly are the border collies of the horse world.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Well I have a OTTB so I guess he was bred to race.. but he moves like a hunter through and through.. nice even striding, quiet, loves to jump, head carriage everything about him screams hunter.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Horses aren't "designed" for specific jobs like, for example, dogs. Can you imagine a dachsund (bred to chase small animals through holes) on the racetrack? But HORSES, while they may be bred for a specific discipline, can turn in credible performances in other things as well.