The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Talking Spinoff: What's YOUR irrational fear?

Ok, We all have them. It's time to spill your weird, irrational fears when riding.

Here's mine:
    Ramped oxers. For some reason, I get a kinda freaked out when jumping them, and I haven't the slightest idea why. I'd much rather have a wide 4ft airy square oxer than a more compact 3'6 ramped oxer.
    I'm odd, what can I say.

C'mon, don't be shy!

All oxers and triple bars. If it has any width to it at all I am terrified.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Mines even more silly. Trot poles in front of and behind jumps. I do have a good reason because they were the cause of my worst fall.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    All oxers and triple bars. If it has any width to it at all I am terrified.
    Same, but only for pretty wide ones! and also if I even think my horse will be scared of a jump cause of colors, height, etc, I automatically tense up thus causing him to get scared. But once i get over them i'm fine.

To be out Galloping cross country (hacking, hunter pace, etc) and having my horse step in a hole, sink up to her shoulder, flip and kill us both.

Or, again, to be out galloping and have my horse fall over from trying to take a turn too fast.

Neither one has happened. Can't even say I've seen it happen. But it always floats in the back of my mind whenever I ride out (and I LOVE riding out).
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

This will sound so silly, but I HATE very forward horses, and horses without nice anti-lock braking systems. As a kid it took me 2 years to be confident enough to canter, and right before I stopped riding for 5-6 years I was on a horse with a bolting problem. He was downright dangerous, and I had no clue when I agreed to ride him. After he took off with me I stopped riding him, and soon after he seriously injured his owner and trainer (he bolted, then slammed on the brakes throwing both of them into the indoor wall).

After I got back riding, I was on a wonderful TB mare that liked to gallop. She was not mean, but was always ready for the next jump, and would get quick especially at the end of a course. When I put her on the closing circle and she sped up, I more or less had a panic attack, grabbed mane, and was just frozen. She galloped a lovely figure 8 pattern with me clinging on. I am sure she thought I was a fool

Bucking at the canter. I leased a horse once that often bucked going into the canter, and got me off a couple times. Made me really insecure about cantering and the transition into it. Yesterday in my lesson the horse I was riding was being sluggish picking up his left lead canter and I popped him on the butt with the stick--apparently you can't use a stick on his butt, which I didn't know, and he threw a nice big buck, which I fortunately stayed on through. But I was pretty spooked again by it.

backwards oxers and backwards solid jumps. like, my trainer loves to throw a backwards rolltop into a course sometimes. fun stuff. i'm not so afraid of the backwards rolltops anymore, but i get weary about them. good thing, though? it makes the hunter courses at shows feel outrageously easy when i'm doing them. no backwards oxers, no backwards rolltops!

also terrified of going downhill at anything faster than a walk this is because several years ago i was at a non-horsey camp but had a small horsey program, and i had only been riding for about a year at that point, so i obviously wasnt that great, anywho, we were cantering downhill in a field and going on a big circle. so you'd go up hill 1/4 of the circle then on flat land for 1/4 then downhill 1/4 and then another 1/4 of flat until you got to the uphilla gain, kept going around, etc. my horse was good, steady pace, but these werent the greatest horses ever. they were cheap, and that was good in the camps eyes cause cheap is cheap--theyre not trying to make us grand prix riders, just give us something to do. so anyway, this horse cody was a good boy, especially compared to the others, the only downside is he is clumsy. we were going around the circles so nicely, and the instructor said, youre doing great, how about one more to finish it off. so we do one more, and lucky me, cody trips on the downhill part and we flipped over and he rolled over me. somehow, i'm still alive. this was a big horse, too! so now i get this awful feeling when i'm going downhill that my horse will trip or slide or something.

i get nervous on grass in general if it's been rainy in the past couple of days can't help it. haha i've got an awful fear of slips and tripping.

okay, last one, it's not a fear necessarily but i HATE them: trot poles in front of bigger jumps. my pony does not approve of trot poles in front of jumps. he just doesnt like them. or any kind of pole in front of a jump. we'll get over it, but if it's a trot pole then a big jump, crap, i'd better have spurs on and a stick and grabbing mane, because he's not a fan
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Verticals with nothing under them. They look HUGE to me! Give me a nice 3' vertical with some flower boxes and such underneath any day over a 2'6" vertical with nothing under it! I think it's because I have problems seeing a spot without the guiding pole or box and my horse has a specific spot that he'll stop at so if I can't see a decent spot I always think he'll get that one and I'll go right over his shoulder... (obviously I speak from experience lol)

A horse bolting/bucking while I am mounting, except I don't really consider it "irrational" since is has happened three times in my life, once ended in a ride in an ambulance, once ended in a TERRIBLE fall onto the arena fence and once (just a year and a half ago) ended in a concussion! But now mounting makes me VERY nervous, especially on a strange horse!

jumping downhill...I'm talking even the gentlest slope, I just don't like it. I think it stems from an accident I had when I was younger. I jumped a small jump on a slight slope and upon landing the horse went down. It probably had nothing to do with the slope but since then it has always bothered me.

I don't like airy schooling ring style jumps at home. For some reason, I can deal with it in the schooling ring, but at home when filler is available, put it in please!

Um, caterpillars? Just saw the first stinging caterpillar this year. Nothing ruins my springtime like icky bugs and wormy things. I'd rather see a snake.

Just to make this HR, I refuse to ride underneath oak trees when it's caterpillar season, because they fall out of trees and get caught in your hair....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

Trail rides. Absolutley terrifying. Every year at pony camp I was put on one of the "problem" horses but nobody ever told little me that they bolted or were green on trails I have yet to enjoy one.

When they dye the water super dark blue or purple in liverpools/open waters at shows . Freaks me out every time. Of course I also have a phobia of swimming in any water where I can't see the bottom. My horses never really batted an eye at it despite my sending what I'm sure were panic stricken signals as we galloped up to them.

Ok, since the OP, only ONE of you has been "irrational."

And, superpony123, be afraid, very afraid... Your trainer is trying to kill you!!!

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Ok, since the OP, only ONE of you has been "irrational."

Seb
    Well, are you going to tell us who it is??? I'm putting money on my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    Well, are you going to tell us who it is??? I'm putting money on my answer.
    NO WAY, MAN!!! Bugs in the hair??? TOTALLY legitimate fear.
    Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

Whew! I was worried I was the crazy one. Well, not worried exactly...I already know I'm crazy and am at peace with it.

And I don't know if you have stinging caterpillars, but they look like alien monsters and the sting is more painful than a hundred wasp stings. So I agree. Perfectly legitmate.

Quote Originally Posted by CenterStage123 View Post
    Mines even more silly. Trot poles in front of and behind jumps. I do have a good reason because they were the cause of my worst fall.
    Same here. Oh and very airy verticals. I prefer filler.
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii