The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Herm Sprenger Stirrup Irons - Bow Balance vs Jointed

Is there any real signifcant difference, or are the Bow Balance irons just more expensive? I understand the obvious differences between the two, but do they really make a difference in your riding?

They certainly feel different for me. I believe that they help keep your leg on your horse - which is especially important for a hot horse - like I was riding.

Okay. Thanks I was just a little bit iffy about spending an extra $35 for stirrups with bright blue on them if they weren't going to really do anything.

I love my Bow Balances (even more than my original Sprengers, which is saying something), but be prepared for some leg soreness when you first start using them.

I love mine! I used to have the $50 jointed ones... Major difference- worth the money!
    You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

Do they help "teach" your leg the proper position?

I had the original Sprengers, and then got the Bow Balances, which I like much better. They are wider and seem to give me more stability when jumping. I don't know if they "teach" your leg the proper position, but in my case they have not made anything worse. My trainer borrowed mine and now she wants them too.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    Do they help "teach" your leg the proper position?
    I think "assist" is a better word then "teach." IMO, it just makes it easier to keep you leg in the right position. You need to put your leg in the correct position to begin with - it is always possible to work against work against your stirrups, just as it is possible to sit incorrectly in a perfectly fitting saddle.

As the owner of 2 very bad ankles....the ones I tried that really helped were the Sprengers with the offset eye. Jointed did not help me so much.

have both, like the Bow Balance better for putting my leg in a more proper position...but any HS is waaaaay better than a knockoff IMO...

I am going to go against the grain and say that I really hate the bow balance irons. The footbed feels gigantic to me. If you can try some before you buy, please do.

I have the original jointed and another student in my barn bought the bow balance...my trainer told her not to get the bow balance (which she didn't listen) because in a real horse show she would get down graded in eq classes. I tried them once and hated them. I'd say stick with the original...plus if you look hard enough you can find really good deals. I think I found mine for $130 new.
    Noteworthy: worthy of notice or attention; notable; remarkable. —Synonyms: distinguished, outstanding, significant. AKA Ike (aka Hurricane Mike).