The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best half chaps?

Well, I did it, I finally threw away my beloved half chaps.

Need suggestions on new ones.
    I want good quality, comfy, won't break the bank.

Suggestions?
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Thumbs up kerrits!

My favorite half chaps for daily riding are the Kerrits Griptek Gaitors. They're relatively inexpensive (think I paid around 55 for mine), super comfortable and fit my leg really nicely. They are the same grippy material as the Sit Tight breeches (which are almost too sticky IMO)-- so perfect for a windy day on a youngster! They have been my daily wear for most of a year, and although I've worn a little hole in one where the zipper on my paddock boots rubs, it doesn't affect their use. They have a matte finish, so won't be a great choice if you want them for more than schooling, but I use them for everyday riding in all sorts of weather and save my tall boots for more formal occasions.

http://www.tackroominc.com/kerrits-g...ib-p-6996.html
    --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

Thumbs up Ariat Close Contact!

I don't know if you consider this not breaking the bank, but I would go for Ariat Close Contact, hands down. They are a little pricey (about $120) but I have had mine 3 years now and they don't even have a HINT of wear. It's actually kind of weird. And I ride 7 days a week, probably 2-3 horses a day. Super soft, comfy, and beautiful.

I have heard some say theirs were destroyed, but either mine are a freak, or they just had bad luck. (although I admit, I take good care of them, gently wiping them down and getting sweat off after almost every ride..but they are worth it!)

Personally, I think the Kerrits ones look cheap (especially for the price...I found a pair for about $80). Although, I do love the idea of the grippy patch. For $10 more, Ovation has a pair that are top grain leather with a grippy patch, which is the same material as their "super-stick" breeches...which I hear is really "super-sticky".

There was a quote from Tiana Coudray about the breeches in a little eventing catalog I got in the mail about a year ago. They have it posted online at www.ers4star.com. It's full of cool eventing-oriented things and it's nice to see that some respectable riders are using the stuff too: Tiana, John Willimas, Bonnie Mosser...

Info on the half chaps is at http://shopping.equisearch.com/p-125...alf-chaps.aspx
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

I have a pair of Grand Prix All Leather 1/2 chaps and I love them. I splurged on a couple of things that I wear nearly every single time I ride - my paddock boots and my 1/2 chaps. Both have held up very well with no maintenance on my part and fit like a glove.

Default You have a PM

Quote Originally Posted by RnR View Post
    I don't know if you consider this not breaking the bank, but I would go for Ariat Close Contact, hands down. They are a little pricey (about $120) but I have had mine 3 years now and they don't even have a HINT of wear. It's actually kind of weird. And I ride 7 days a week, probably 2-3 horses a day. Super soft, comfy, and beautiful.

I have heard some say theirs were destroyed, but either mine are a freak, or they just had bad luck. (although I admit, I take good care of them, gently wiping them down and getting sweat off after almost every ride..but they are worth it!)
    My Close Contacts lasted all of 3-4 months. I took them back to Dover (we have a retail store) and traided them out for the Classic HC. Those are great and they take a TON of abuse.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

The Lende ones (from BoB or TOTD) are great -- they come in calf width/leg height sizes versus S, M, L, so you get a better fit. I think I got mine off TOTD for <$40.
    Road to the T3D
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I suppose I need to drive out to a tack shop and try on a bunch of different brands.
    The ones I just threw away were probably 6 or 7 years old, fit like a glove, etc. It really took everything I had to throw them away.
    Though that trash bag is still in the kitchen--could always fish them out...
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Prochaps

Most comfortable EVER

Take a beating and clean up well
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ Vintage "Ellie" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

I have the Ariat Close Contact half chaps and they're wonderful. I got them well over a year ago and they still look new. My only complaint is that they're a bit hot in the summer.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

im looking into getting a nice pair of half chaps and paddock boots that i can show in... i especially like the look of the ariat monaco half chaps and boots but they are pretty pricey... does anyone else have recommendations for show worthy half chaps and boots? i know tredstep has a line that is nice, but they don't come in a size tall enough for me, i think i need something around 19 inches..

I was interested in the close contacts also, but I'm not sure what size to get. I wear a 14 calf in the Tredsteps. Do I go for a small or xs? Would the 13.5 stretch or just be too tight?

Default not such a fan of the close contacts

I have the close contacts, but find the zipper on the right one works its way down and needs to be yanked back up several times during my ride - usually at the most inconvenient times!

Best half chaps I ever had were a pair of Tredsteps I bought at Fair Hill in 1997 - lasted me 10 years riding 2-5 horses a day!

2horseowner - Re: sizing. I find the newer tredsteps have a lot more give in the elasticated part so a 14 is quite generous. Definitely try on the Ariats for comparison, but I'm guessing you'd need a small instead of an XS

I'll second ProChaps as being phenomenal half chaps. They weren't super wallet friendly, just a bit over $100, but they are worth it. Comfortable, elegant and long lasting. They are a Canadian company, but they sell in the United States. They also have excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by clivers View Post
    I have the close contacts, but find the zipper on the right one works its way down and needs to be yanked back up several times during my ride - usually at the most inconvenient times!
    I have this problem with mine, too, but on both sides. Finally gave up and now safety pin the zipper pulls to the elastic snappy piece.

Absolutely would not buy the close contacts again.

I'm lusting after these
    http://www.saddlesource.com/proddeta...Fringe&cat=150

I already have a pair but without the fringe and they're great. They are just starting to wear out after about 8 years and I do not take care of them. Zippers are in great shape and the only place you can see wear is the stretchy panel.

I have a pair of Ariats that I bought about three years ago at one of the Dover stores. At the same time, I purchased a pair of the Dover half chaps (they have their own brand).

For several months I wore the Ariats and loved them but then I needed to travel and didn't want to take the Ariats in case they got lost, etc. (they aren't cheap, you know?) so I took the Dover half chaps.

I have to say that I have not spent one day in my Ariats since then. The Dover half chaps are supple, comfortable, well fitted and have put up with driving rain, mud, being baked in the sun and being used about 4-5 times a week - and they are still going strong.

I was (clearly) well impressed with these half chaps and would buy another pair when the time comes.

For what it's worth, I also tried on their brand of britches (full seat) and they were so comfortable that I bought four pair - at $80-90 each I felt like I was getting a great deal! (those come in high, low and mid range waist designs, too)

Good luck.

Thumbs up Another vote for Ariat Close Contacts

I LOVE my ariat close contact half chaps, and they have stood up well. I ride 5 or 6 days a week and bought them when they first came out (I guess that was about 2 years ago or so?). The only sign of thier age is on the non-leather stretchy backing, which has a tear or two, but nothing that impairs thier function. I just clean and oil them when I do my saddle. Treat your tack right and it will return the favor!

Default Ariat Close Contacts

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I have this problem with mine, too, but on both sides. Finally gave up and now safety pin the zipper pulls to the elastic snappy piece.

Absolutely would not buy the close contacts again.

I have this problem too, with just the right one. Drives me crazy! I love the chaps besides that. I've had mine for two years and ride in them 4-5 times a week and they are in excellent shape!

Default ProChaps

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    Prochaps

Most comfortable EVER

Take a beating and clean up well
    ProChaps - www.prochaps.com - are really beautiful, they're well made with smooth, lush leather and have a modified spanish cut top! They come in the standard black or chocolate and you can even get them with fringe too (although the fringe option is not my style!!). I've had my ProChaps for a little over a year now and they still look brand new plus they filt like they were custom made for me!
    Does Class Always Show? You bet it does!
    http://classalwaysshows.blogspot.com
    "To Thine Own Thoroughbred Be True"