The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If Wellness just makes your wallet nauseous, there's nothing wrong with Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Sole, or I think even Felidae is a bit cheaper than Wellness.

It's sometimes hard to find places that carry more than 1-2 high end foods, much less any at all. We're really lucky and have a Pet Supply Warehouse nearby, so we get ours there.

But, PetSmart now carries Blue Buffalo, which is also a great high end food. More than Chicken Soup, but I think a bit less than Wellness maybe?

Default Thanks!

You guys have been great! I can certainly use one of the more expensive foods as "part of a healthy diet." That would make it more affordable. Turns out Iams doesn't have an appropriate perscription food so keep your fingers crossed that he just gives up and eats his science diet. We go back in a month for a follow up test. He's not too spoiled or anything. I only left the water dripping in the bathtub so he could drink out of that since that's his preferred source. Likes it even better than the petmate cat fountain.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

The Blue Buffalo food does seem to be good stuff. My cat would never touch any of the canned food, but the Blue Buffalo dry food did tempt her back into eating for a while. It also had the highest concentration of calories that I could find. Knowing that a cat her size needed to eat just 1/4 c - 1/2 c of the dry food gave me some peace of mind when she was just picking at her food.

Did they check his teeth?

Default Teeth

They looked in his mouth and didn't see anything but I'll ask about it specifically as well.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Hey hope your cat starts to eat and feel better soon!

If you have a hard time pilling your cat w/Pepcid, you might also try slippery elm, which you can syringe.

My cat was diagnosed with CRF (she also gets subQs). I mostly use slippery elm to soothe her stomach, though twice a week I use Pepcid AC (1/4 tab).

Slippery elm bark comes in powder form (places like Whole Foods carry it) and you mix it with warm water (1/4 tsp:2 tbsp) and make a paste. Sometimes I use homemade chicken broth to mix it with. Lasts about 3 days in the fridge. 3-5 ml daily. It's a mucilage; within 10 minutes of syringing, my cat DEMANDS food.

No side effects; the only caution is that if you have to otherwise medicate your cat, you are supposed to give this to them about 1/2 an hour before to avoid interference with absorption of meds.

Good luck! And FWIW, also agree that Wellness (grain-free kind) seems to help our cats. It's the only canned stuff they'll touch.

Holly J – first off – huge kudos to you for taking your cat into the vet in the first place! A lot of people (myself included, on occasion) would have simply assumed that the vomiting was just a furball, and wouldn’t have involved the vet until much later. Your cat is lucky!

Here’s a few thoughts, based on what I’ve read here, and my personal experiences:

-Has your vet felt to see if your cat is constipated? That can cause the vomiting and lack of appetite. We’ve had that happen with our 17yr old female cat (with no known health issues) before.

-We have a cat who is diabetic and CRF; the Pepcid AC (as mentioned by others) is a huge help for his nausea and appetite. I haven’t tried the slippery elm yet, but (as the post above states) it also works well. We give our cat the Pepcid in a “pill pocket” treat, which he gobbles up every single time. So, regardless of which medicine/supplement you decide to give yours, the pill pocket might be useful- once your cat has an appetite again.

-I second – third- fifth? the Wellness (or similar) food – it really does make a big difference. We have four cats in the house (the 17yr old male CRF/diabetic, the 17yr female, and two younger cats who were dumped at the farm & as a result quite starved before we got them). They all eat Wellness dry (the Core formula), plus Fancy Feast canned for dinner. All of them are in very good health. Oh and I know that Fancy Feast is supposed to be “junk food”, but it’s not at all as bad as most other “super-commercial” canned foods are. If it is junk food, it’s more like a submarine sandwich than McDonalds, from what I’ve read.

-To get your cat to eat, one other thing you could try is chicken broth. We’ve used that in the past for our picky eaters – for some cats, it’s much more tempting than tuna juice. Warm it up to room temperature if it’s been in the fridge, though.

I hope your cat is feeling better soon!

Oh and edited to add - I'm very sorry about the loss of your other cat.

My cats eat fancy feast (with free choice purina dry cat chow - but I think it's really too salty).
    Anyway, when one gets off her feed I break an egg, take the yolk and smear it up and down her front legs repeatedly.
    Yes it p***es her off, but she can't flick it off and she has to eat it. So she gets some fresh protein (although maybe salmonella could be a problem).
    My picky eaters would also eat human turkey slices, the ones that are pre-cut and are abnormally wet. I hand feed those. They don't have to chew it and they generally will eat it.
    These are cats that think fresh baked or raw chicken, hamburger and steak are my attempts to poison her. Dead mice, birds are revolting. Butterflies are her prey of choice.

Default eating!

Good news. He's eating and I put him back on his regular feeding schedule. Yea!! Gave me a dirty look this morning and waited to see if I wouldn't come back and correct my error but broke down and ate the special diet. Whew! Going to the big city this weekend and will look for some of the food ya'll recommended. Thanks everyone!

Many of the kidney diets must taste awful...I've never had a cat switch to it happily. My current kitty went on the k/d for quite some time...went on a 2 day hunger strike too. Every time I fed her she'd run to her bowl, sniff and then glare at me and walk away. Took her a good month to eat it normally without protest.
    She did a 100% turnaround in short order on the kidney diet...she was at the vets overnight before starting it to rehydrate her and came home full of energy and stayed that way for 8 months. 2 weeks ago she went back to the vets because she was complaining a lot, she had stones. Since her kidney values were great, vet switched her to a stones diet and she was happy again. Unfortunately she's going back to the vets today. Either she has Cat Flu or we're really in trouble with advanced kidney failure. Yesterday she started drooling thick foul smelling saliva and stopped eating or drinking. After the vets closed of course...she's going in later this morning. I noticed a feral cat that hangs out in my yard is doing the same thing and he has ulcers on his tongue (his tongue is hanging out). He took off though when I tried to get near him. Possibly she caught something from him, though not sure how since she's inside only. So either Cat Flu she caught somehow, kidneys again or feline leukemia. Only things I can think of for drooling and mouth ulcers.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

First off, YAY for the OP's kitty eating again! I know what a relief that must be.

Secondly:

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    ...Oh and I know that Fancy Feast is supposed to be “junk food”, but it’s not at all as bad as most other “super-commercial” canned foods are...
    Actually, for diabetic cats, certain varieties of Fancy Feast are said to be as good, if not better, than the expensive DB prescription canned food. I found this out after researching feline diabetes when one of my cats was diagnosed with it last December.

I immediately went out and got some of the "allowable" varieties of FF, put my kitty on it, and his glucose levels came down over 200 points (from 456 to 253) in one week! He has not needed any insulin injections yet, which the vet planned we'd start after the Christmas holidays.

My cat much prefers the FF over that expensive canned stuff my vet sold me (which, fortunately, was only a couple of cans).

For anyone interested, here's the list of so-called "safe" varieties of Fancy Feast (the ones free of gluten, no gravy, "roasted", "grilled" or "chunky" styles - just the original, basic "gourmet feast" style):

Fancy Feast Gourmet Feast that are appropriate for diabetic cats (color in parentheses is the color of the can label):

Gourmet Tender Beef Feast (brown)
    Gourmet Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta)
    Gourmet Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red)
    Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just like another chicken variety with gluten!)
    Gourmet Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green)
    Gourmet Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (light brown)
    Gourmet Savory Salmon Feast (orange)
    Gourmet Cod, Sole & Shrimp Feast (green)
    Gourmet Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Feast (Blue)
    Gourmet Seafood Feast (Teal)
    Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green)
    Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue)
    Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink)

There are other brands with acceptable varieties as well. More info concerning these can be found here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm

I have both my cats on the same diet, knocking out all dry except for a little bit of Wellness Core for my non-DB kitty since he enjoys his "crunchies" so much.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Default update

Well, now that he's eating normally, he threw up again this morning. The vet did say it would take time. He seems to primarily throw up when he has an empty stomach (usually around 5 a.m.). Might have to try giving him something for his stomach right before bed.