The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Southern Pines II

Does anyone have any info on SP II for us folks who are still up north?

Why did Corrine and Dobbin get an E in XC?

Why did so many people Withdraw and not do XC? Was the weather bad?

Good luck and good riding to everyone competing there today!

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Black Points View Post
    Does anyone have any info on SP II for us folks who are still up north?

Why did Corrine and Dobbin get an E in XC?

Why did so many people Withdraw and not do XC? Was the weather bad?

Good luck and good riding to everyone competing there today!

Mary

Mary:

Dobbin met a fence at a bad spot, he ran out, and Corinne popped off the side. All is fine.

Any news on Kate Brown and Mojito? They show as MR...hoping all is well.

Thanks Snoopy! glad all is OK with Dobbin and Corrine.

I just found out what happen to Carol Kozlowski and Snuff...they were having a great round and when Snuff landed in the 2nd water, the footing gave way and he fell tossing Carol into the drink. Bad luck!

Wow, the sun just came out here so time for me to ride...yippee!

Mary

Snoopy,
    Why did Corinne withdraw her training horse? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Any news on Kate Brown and Mojito? They show as MR...hoping all is well.
    Kate is fine - she had a fall at the Cornish Bank but both walked off the course in one piece. The weather was terrific, the footing great and those that chose to with draw did so for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    Snoopy,
    Why did Corinne withdraw her training horse? Any idea?

you have a pm.

The weather was gorgeous. Have some pics up I took today, and a few from yesterday. Look under the Southern Pines set.

www.flickr.com/minuet
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what a ship is for."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minuet/3377811090/
    ^ my face is PRICELESS... I need to learn how to smile.

Southern Pines was amazing.. challenging as always, but a great display of quality horses and riders .... weather was great... footing was too, though I was a bit worried going to late in the day (on both horses) that it was rather chewed up... but it rode GREAT!

Thanks to all the volunteers!!!!

Was there a hole or dent or dip or low spot or something in the water complex footing?

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Black Points View Post
    I just found out what happen to Carol Kozlowski and Snuff...they were having a great round and when Snuff landed in the 2nd water, the footing gave way and he fell tossing Carol into the drink. Bad luck!
    Um, sort of except the footing didn't give way. By the time Carol and Sniff (not Snuff) went out on course, the water in the second water jump was so murky it resembled the rest of the sand track. When Sniff jumped in, it looked as if he though he was going to come down on dry land. When his front feet hit the surface of the water and kept going down, he realized his mistake but it was too late for him to right himself and he started to over-rotate. He went down onto his nose and knees which catapulted Carol out of the saddle. Thankfully, both of them sustained minimal injury considering what could have happened. Poor Sniffy needed a few stitches and Carol was a bit battered and bruised, but they should be back out on course in a month or so.
    Was there a hole or dent or dip or low spot or something in the water complex footing?
    Not that we could see. Rather, there was a brief period of time when the sun was at a funny angle and the water was so murky that is created the optical illusion that I described above. There were several horses around the same time that Carol and Sniff went out on course who had similar problems at the water. Once the sun shifted, the horses stopped having problems.

FWIW, Fred McCashin was at the water with a video camera and Carol and I watched the video of Sniff's fall immediately after it happened. He started to fall before his front feet even landed so it couldn't have been the result of a hole, dent, dip, or low spot in the footing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    No. The footing in the water (we drain both complexes after every event) was repaired prior to SPHT I and addressed again after SPHT I.

Poor Carol! And now she has to drive to NY

Cool

Unless the platform under the water is concrete, there will always be a bit of a dip after several horses have gone and jumped thru a water complex. The fact that they have to re-grade after events means there IS wear and uneveness.
    Upper level horses and riders have more control and are more precise in take off and landing and tend to be taking off and landing on the same spots. Three horses can change the landing. It's only perfect until the first horse goes.
    To some extent we just have to train our horses for that.
    I sure wouldn't think Carol hadn't done so and this is an experienced horse. You're saying that the video shows the horse thought the surface was solid and not water?
    If you put dirt down it will mix with water and make it muddy.
    Sand, pebbles, gravel in various sizes that does not have dirt with it won't always mix with water and make it change color, that's the reason builders use those substances for bases in water related jumps. The problem with these is also that they are hard for a horse to land in. However, Neil Ayer told me jumping into a pebble-based water jump is like punching your fist into a bucket of marbles. He got in a huge fight with the PTB at the 1984 Olympic Games about a cheap delivery of rock/gravel for the water jump he didn't think would be appropriate - they were doing the golf course water hazard deal after the Games and wanted a man-made lake, and sent the stuff they wanted for the base. Problem was, it wasn't safe for horses to jump into. So you can go the other way, too.
    So the construction is difficult and choosing the right thing is hard and I am sure labor intensive as well as expensive.
    I love Southern Pines and love the people doing that event and love everyone, but you guys, come on. Footing doesn't stay perfect. Holes happen. It ain't perfect. Nothing is.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I dunno. My friend's horse fell in that water last year - there was a serious hole in the first water. She was doing the training xc.

There was no hole at the first water. I get incredibly tired of hearing riders tell me there is a hole at the first water when I have seen with my own eyes there isn't. What there is is a lot of bad riding to that water. I look after every single event at the footing in both waters. I invite any of you to come out and look as well. And we don't use dirt to resurface we use stone dust and screenings.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    There was no hole at the first water. I get incredibly tired of hearing riders tell me there is a hole at the first water when I have seen with my own eyes there isn't. What there is is a lot of bad riding to that water. I look after every single event at the footing in both waters. I invite any of you to come out and look as well. And we don't use dirt to resurface we use stone dust and screenings.
    Dana - At one point several years ago, I offered a cash prize for the first rider to have a fall at a water jump and NOT blame a hole that nobody can find. To date, I've not awarded it - but Carol sounds like a promising candidate!

Default spectator woes: vent and laugh

I tend to be sensitive to negativity in the spectator area when I'm watching people I know (or people I don't know, for that matter), but I just had to share this... which ticked me off at the time, but is actually pretty funny.

After watching our rider go through her Prelim test, I headed back to the Dressage arenas to watch some advanced tests on Friday and had the misfortune of sitting next to a couple of very verbal, critical girls. I was watching a particularly hypnotic test by Boyd Martin, whose horse looked just an aid away from a passage. Thus the ugly comments to my left began about "Oh - a lot of action but no float!" to which I thought "Brrrr! You boneheads." And then Kim Severson and Tipperary Liadhnan went in. I was really enjoying watching them and then from the left again comes the, "Oh yea. She looks tense, too." And then when she came out and smiled they said with obvious irony, "Oh. Look. She's smiling. She must have been happy with that." I had the impulse to say or do something very rude at that point and got up and went somewhere else. In hindsight, rather than defend any rides (which were, um, actually lovely ahem) against the pecking party of the ignorants, I just have to say it's really funny... what an embarassing place to be - in the stands watching some of the most talented riders in our country and trying to put yourself where you will never be by insulting them.

Anyway, rant over. I wish we could all be happy for each other's triumphs and partnerships. Until then, I'm going to try to find the humor in the peanut gallery and just walk away if I can't. It's just so darned common!!!

Default the intermediate water

I did notice that a lot of the intermediate horses were slipping when they landed in the big water - it was more common for the horses who jumped out farther (landing near the edge of the prelim step out) and I admit I was worried there was something going on with the footing. Maybe there wasn't, but there were some good rides into the water that still resulted in slips there. What do you think that was coming from?

Wakerider!
    That's you?? Saw your xc as my friend was right after you. You guys are sooo cool! Well done!