The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question tips for preventing hock sores?

I struggle this time of year to avoid hock sores on my grey TB. For some reason he seems most vulnerable when shedding his winter coat. He has 24/7 in/out and his stall is bedded deeply with Woody Pet over rubber mats. He used to have shavings, and that seemed worse. The sores are more the superficial callous/scabby/scraped type (so far), not the deep worry about infection, lameness causing type. I had my vet look but she didn't have many suggestions - just said to watch him, leave the site alone as much as possible, and if he does scrape them open, keep them clean but dry (no antibiotic ointment, etc).

Any tips? I could lock him in at night and try the neoprene/velcro hock wraps but he's very happy being able to move around and I've heard they sometimes cause more agitation...I'd rather find another solution if I can.

Tyvm

Duct tape works for a lot of people. Just cut a square and put it over the sore. Replace as it falls off.

Duct tape didn't work for me--it just kept coming off--but gall salve worked wonders. Apply daily.

I use "Gall Salve" - it's a thick, bright green putty-like ointment and I put a thick layer on. It protects and acts as a barrier. Worked great for us. I think I got mine at Dover or Valley Vet.com. Good luck

Bag balm or hock boots.

He's probably rolling more to help get rid of that itchy winter coat. Body clipping could help... or just good old fashioned elbow grease with a shedding blade.

For protection, I like the Boomer's Bandages you can get through Dover.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I had great luck with the duct tape. You just have to be careful not to get any slick tail conditioners on the legs or the tape won't stick. You need the good, really sticky duct tape too. Put a piece, about an inch to inch and a half square on it and kind of squish it around to attach it really well. It is the first thing that has every worked for my boy.

I'll add my vote for duct tape. I heard about it here on CoTH, suggested it for a friend, received many strange stares and comments (I got them because she told people I was the one who made her do it ), but in a few weeks-all gone! Then I was the one who got to make the comments

She actually put a blob of bag balm or any sort of healing cream she dug out of her tack box on the actual sore and just made sure the duct tape was big enough that it had plenty of area to stick to around the goo'd up wound.

Worked really well!!
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

We used to have trouble with this, and everyone's been doing great since we switched over to straw bedding.

A lady I know orders a big dump truck load of sawdust this time of year and just leaves it in a pile in the pasture. The horses love it and dig/roll/sleep in it. Her horses also have bedded shelters, but the ground in the field is quite hard and rocky so they were getting sores on their elbows and hocks from trying to lay out in the spring/summer sun-the sawdust pile stopped that By fall they've got it spread out pretty good and its started to compost, so she brings in the tractor and finishes spreading it through the field.

Quite often, horses whose hocks are sore start to rub them ... it may be a sign of needing them injected.
    If you can see the floor when he gets up, there isn't enough bedding underneath him.

Quote Originally Posted by sch1star View Post
    I struggle this time of year to avoid hock sores on my grey TB. For some reason he seems most vulnerable when shedding his winter coat. He has 24/7 in/out and his stall is bedded deeply with Woody Pet over rubber mats. He used to have shavings, and that seemed worse. The sores are more the superficial callous/scabby/scraped type (so far), not the deep worry about infection, lameness causing type. I had my vet look but she didn't have many suggestions - just said to watch him, leave the site alone as much as possible, and if he does scrape them open, keep them clean but dry (no antibiotic ointment, etc).

Any tips? I could lock him in at night and try the neoprene/velcro hock wraps but he's very happy being able to move around and I've heard they sometimes cause more agitation...I'd rather find another solution if I can.

Tyvm
    not enough bedding -- bank your sides as well as the floor and make sure the stable is the right size for your horse when i do a 12x12 stable with sawdust or woodcchips
    i do 10 bags -to start it off
    then have a bag to top if nesscary when poohs and wet are taken out
    try shoving all bed back let the floor dry and take out all wet and pooh then re do
    and add more sawdust some people dont re put in what they take out or let the shavings go discoloured which is like have a wet bed and no bedding as they have lost the softness or use of the shavings - the shaving as with straw must be clean
    and not deep brown as in deep littered as then it wil be rough on the horse to get up and he will get capped hocks and sores on elbows and hips
    make sure you bank the sides of the stable by about 2ft thick

No matter how deep I bedded Sweets' stall, it was always raked down to the bare mats every morning. It was so frustrating. I could put 12 bags of shavings in her stall, and the next morning it was banked on the edges, bare in the middle, and rubbed hocks. I switched her to a deep litter system and LOVE IT. Absolutely love it. I'll never go back to a regular stall for her. It is soft, dry, deep, firmly packed, no smell, she's not stiff in the mornings, and no rubbed hocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I switched her to a deep litter system and LOVE IT.
    What's a "deep litter system"?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I'm also curious what a "deep litter system" is...
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Deep litter method...there are some variations on this...was kind of trendy in the late 80's...I can remember Western Horseman having an article on it and my mom decided to go that route that winter. Was a bear in the summer to clean out the stalls. Holy cow. But that method was more just keep adding clean shavings on top after removing feces.

Switch to a deep-litter system. If you bed on shavings, this European practice can help you establish a thick, clean bed with minimal daily labor. At each cleaning, remove only the visible piles of manure and wet spots--don't dig down to the floor or turn the bedding over. Toss slightly soiled bedding to the sides of the stall, and put a thin layer of clean bedding in the center. Eventually, "banks" of dry shavings will form around the outside of the stall, and you can use these to refresh the center, eliminating trips to the shavings heap. Properly maintained, a deep-litter bed is dry, has no odor and is very cushioning to the legs. You will have to completely strip the stall once or twice a year, however.

Duct tape may be the answer--but if your horse is prone to allergies/sensitivities, keep an eye out. Some critters (like me) are allergic to the adhesive.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I think it was Choco-Mare who said she does it too???? That was what turned me on to the idea. At first I was pretty apalled and thought only "lazy" people would leave all the wet in the stall. But I found out that it works great. It took a couple of months to establish it well, but then the whole thing packed down, and its sort of like a dirt floor. I use 1 bag of shavings every 10 days throughout the winter. I would dump the bag in one corner then every night, sprinkle a forkfull or 2 over the center of the stall. You have to be meticulous about picking out manure. If you have a horse that spins or paws, it wouldn't work but as long as the under-bed is undisturbed, there is no smell at all. I don't imagine it would work with a huge drinker/pee'er either as the whole thing would get way too wet.

I have a thread on this also. Duct tape did not work for me. My vet brought out some Scarlett oil to spray on his hock.. I asked ifanyone had tried spray on bandages but no that replied had.

I have a horse with the same problem. Tried more bedding but didn't make it better. I took out her mats and no more hock sores. Been couple years now. Try it, might help.