The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is your trailer clean and organized?

I have a two horse slant that is packed to the ceiling with stuff. I don't have a barn or tack room, so everything has to go with me everywhere.
    fortunately i have a closet in the house to keep my hunt clothes in...

I'm going to organize this weekend.

any suggestions?

I do have a tack trunk, but it needs to have nothing on top so i can get in it. i've also found that there are hooks on very strong magnets. then i don't have to drill (!).

help!

Hahahahahahahahaha!

If you saw my trailer you wouldn't take ANY suggestions from me! The worst thing in mine is that I have carried HAY in the tack room -- even bagged it has made a colossal mess. That reminds of another spring project... thanks a bunch.

Anyway, I like the idea of the magnetic hooks but wonder how strong they are? I like the hanging organizers with pockets of various sizes. I try to organize grooming/feeding supplies in buckets with lids, so if they tip over, things aren't all the heck over the place.

I hope you get a lot of good ideas because... I will use them!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

hahaha yeah right! clean and organized trailer?! HAHAHA!

id love some tips as well!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

At the start of a trip, yes. At the end, not so much.

We finally got so tired of hauling "stuff" we got really ruthless with our needs and cut the amount of stuff dramatically. I'm married to a packrat (for 35+ years) so that means some big sacrifices for her and some patience (and compromise) for me.

Inventory what you have and put everything into one of three categories:

1. Need to have

2. Nice to have

3. Superfluous.

Discard all of Cat. 3. Trim Cat. 2 by 50%. Then reinventory and redistribute and chuck all of the new Cat. 3 and reduce Cat. 2. Chances are you'll be able to sell a bunch of stuff, throw out stuff that's gone bad, and have a nice and clean trailer!

Good luck with your project.

G.

Actually, the trailer is the one place in my life that stays organized - it is my tack room as well for all my current riding gear/tack as no tack room (yet) in barn.

Get a second trunk - you can get a decent Rubbermaid trunk at Lowes/Home Depot for a mere $40 (nothing compared to "horse" trunk costs). Put that in first and pack it with everything that isn't used on a regular basis. Pack smart - least needed on bottom and work up from there. Push this up against front wall (towards nose) of trailer, leaving a "walk-in" space at the trailer door.

I also hang a 5 hook rack from the attached bridle racks in the trailer - then I have 7 hooks to use for various items (bridles, longe lines, halters/leads, side reins). I also hung a bandage rack in my trailer - hung up high in the back - I can reach the polos, standing wraps if needed and keeps them tidily out of the way.

I store water/feed buckets under the saddle racks. I also manage to wedge my Rubbermaid step stool (known as my "mounting block") in there as well. But I removed the built in saddle racks and put a free-standing 3 rack in (needed more racks for saddle pads) and tied that in to the former saddle rack holder-slots. Got an extra rack for my pads and more space under for buckets.

I then have a sport trunk (I think its considered the pony size - not as wide as the standard sports trunks) - this has all my grooming equipment, helmet/gloves, boots (wrapped in towel for protection) in it - I slide that in last and pull it out first - the smaller size makes it easier for one person to handle plus it fits in /out of door easily. Its great for working out of at shows, clinics, other facilities and at home.

I also manage to have room for a Rubbermaid storage box (about 2' wide by 18" tall and 14" deep) - I keep all medical supplies in that AND I have a small trashcan.

Just staying on top of everything is the key - the first time you put things back in sloppily, the whole system starts to fall apart.

And I have a 1987 2 horse BP with a standard (small) dressing/tack room - its just a matter of finding what will fit that makes the best use of storage and space. Took a while to reach this system - but works like a charm and I always have what I need on hand (extra girths, pads, stirrups/leathers, bits/bridles, etc). If only I had money for an extra saddle!!! (like that will help my riding!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

"Is your trailer clean and organized?"

Yes.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    "Is your trailer clean and organized?"

Yes.
    Ditto
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

As I was packing the trailer tonight as we are hunting early tomorrow I thought gee, I really should tidy this up. Next week...

We look FABULOUS heading to a show then like a cyclone moved thru the premises on the way home.

Keep the ideas coming. I need help too!

I put down a washable throw rug so that the floor stays somewhat cleaner and so I don't get wood shavings in my breeches when changing (hate that.) I also keep a collapsible(sp?) wooden hanging racks for damp saddle pads, sheets, etc. A portable bridle rack comes in handy also as I run out of hooks. Extra broom, shovel, muck fork, buckets, feed tubs all stay in the trailer fulltime.

Not yet, but soon. One of my beloved spring rituals is cleaning out the WHOLE inside of the tack room, right down to the carpet, vacuuming it out and putting stuff right back in again, inventoried, fixed, replaced as needed and generally spiffed up and ready to go for show season.

Come November, it looks like a bomb went off in there, of course. I usually just do minor pick-up after shows and schlep things in and out as needed.

This year I have a couple of little shelves to re-hang (I use those magic fastener things, they last about 2 years IME) but everything else is holding up OK with the latest "system", consisting mostly of rubbermaid containers, wire baskets/shelves and a spring-loaded curtain rod across the top to hang stuff.
    Click here before you buy.

My trailer is immaculate! The secret is, I have not used it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_Custom Fab trailer007.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	24429  

Here is the website that I would love to go spend a lot of money exploring.

http://www.organizedbarn.com/
    Click here before you buy.

I just hauled 10 head of cattle yesterday in my trailer. Clean? Not hardly!!!!
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I wish! It probably looks like one of those houses that have been riffled threw looking for something.

Karen
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Default Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you

Yes! My trailer is clean and organized-- a sort of "thank you" to God for giving me my own after years spent mooching rides with others who didn't care for their rigs.

Of course my house is knee-deep in cat hair....

A great source for organizing tools is the container store. I bought some metal shelving that my husband installed in the tack compartment. The baskets clip on to a little verticle strip that he screwed into the walls. It is very strong, baskets are adjustable and you can put all your bottles and jars of stuff in those. We have extra hooks for bridles etc .

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Just be careful of hanging things on metal walls. It gets really noisy with the clanking and vibration. (think bits jingling constantly with the road vibration...)

To me anyway, I think the horse deals with enough stress when trailering, I don't want the added noise and banging if I can help it. If you can hang in bags (bridle bag, the hanging organizers etc.,) GREAT. Will keep stuff tidy too.

JMO.

Trailer stays mostly organized. As others have said, is incredibly well put together when we leave and arrive... a disaster at the end of the day/weekend. I unload in my backyard if it's night, and will tend to leave it parked there (in a not-so-convenient spot) until I re-organize, or else I don't.

I use a Black & Decker (?) trunk I got at Home Depot thanks to CotH. Plus a rolling saddle rack that has an underneath basket for cleaning stuff and I can hook the bridle over the handle. (I COVET one of those two saddle dolly-type racks.) I have mostly a set of travel *everything*, exception being saddle, bridle and girth (though I carry extra bridle & girth in bottom of trunk) so everything lives on the trailer. I collected these over time. It's nice to be able to lend someone a spare bridle or reins or halter or such after a trauma. It also lends more to the organization when things just live where they belong. I hung a canvas brush organizer in front, and I love that. Saw a bridle rack inside a bag that I have yet to see again, when I do, I will snag it. For now bridle is put up correctly and in the box, or over seat of saddle.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I need to post the photo of Risk-Averse Rider's trailer at the end of last year's hunt season.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

relatively so- always is going to a show but coming home not as much.
    I am getting better about having 2 sets of everyday things so that I can keep a trunk packed and on the trailer when I used to travel frequently. I use trunks more than hangers/etc. in my trailer.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

I am an organizer (and neat freak) by nature so yes, the trailer is clean and organized and the envy of my friends! Here are some tricks/tips:
    -Put cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting on the wall behind hook/hangers. This will eliminate the noise of bits, etc on the walls.
    -I hang all my blankets and saddle pads on a bar that is up high in the far corner (that wasted space area). I use clothspins to hook the pads to hangers and close the front chest buckles on blankets around the hanger. You'd be surprised how much fits there and it's easily seen and accessible. I have 6 blankets and at least a dozen pads (bit of a pad wh%&^) I also have a folding chair, my show hat (in a bag), and a bag of show cleaning emergency stuff (bleach stick, magic eraser, tide stick, etc.)
    -Store buckets and rake behind the blankets. You know where they are if you need them, they don't need to be in sight.
    -bridles and strap goods can share hangers if they are spares (make sure to put your good bridles on rounded hangers). Keep your good bridles and stuff you use often by the door.
    -I have a bandage bag-best investment ever!! It hangs on a tack hook and holds a case of vetwrap, bandage scissors, gauze, telfa pads, 8 pillow quilts, 12 standing wraps, 4 polos...
    -I keep my hay bag, shipping boots and shipping halter in the back of the trailer. She eats out of the haybag when in the trailer or tied to it so I grab all those things before putting her in.
    -On the door organizer (you can use one made for the job or buy a $10.00 shoe organizer at Walmart) holds all kinds of crap!
    -small mirrored medicine chest stays behind the saddle racks and has needles, syringes, bute, banamine, human bandaids, eye ointments, etc. and is light enough to set on the back of the truck for a show mirror. (I put a small hasp lock on it since it holds nasty stuff)
    -1 long, narrow rubbermaid trunk holds a bunch of stuff and leaves me room to walk in.
    -1 small toolbox holds clippers, ext. cord, braiding kit and tools.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!