The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default groundhogs

i need to get rid of them, they are popping up everywhere and it's becoming dangerous....any solutions(besides guns...can't use them on property) thanks!

I had a Wire Haired Fox Terrier that eliminated the ground hog population near our place. He also trained our adopted Newfie to do the same. My solution would be a terrier.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Target practice, thats what my husband does....

Have a heart traps, and they seem to be suckers for cantalope.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

I had a dog which was a good groundhog hunter. A Lab cross, believe it or not, but she had the teeth and hunting instincts of a terrier. The groundhog problem disappeared completely when coyotes moved into the area.

Default have a heart trap

we have trapped extensively on our ground. They seem to love all kinds of fruit, peaches, banannas, apples, cantalope, you name it. they aren't too bright.

Get in touch with someone from the JRTCA, who would be willing to bring their Jack Russells and go to ground for you. They bring their own shovels to get the dogs back, but i think you might have to be there to contain the groundhogs, as some JRT's won't kill them. They just hold them in place.

Http://www.terrier.com

Get a heeler.

We still have some groundhogs, but I'm seeing fewer and fewer. This is right about the time of year I start finding the carcasses on my porch. Yuck. Better than having holes in my field though...

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Personally I'd use a .22-250 but these things must be a blast:
    http://www.varmitgetter.com/testimonials.php

I have been told, but have not verified, that if you dump "used" kitty litter down their holes that they will choose to live somewhere else.

Smoke bomb in the hole, then backfill with pungent kitty litter. Good luck!
    Carol

www.HorseGiftsandArt.com offers a unique selection of horse art, jewelry, gifts, plush horses and equestrian home decor

Quote Originally Posted by Mudroom View Post
    I have been told, but have not verified, that if you dump "used" kitty litter down their holes that they will choose to live somewhere else.
    I can verify it!! I've fenced off two fields now that had groundhogs in them. We tried everything, from having someone shoot them, to stopping up the holes and putting poison smoke bombs in their dens. Nothing worked, they dug back out again. I tried the used kitty litter and it WORKED right away. I put it down all the holes I could find, waited a week and then filled in the holes. Four years later, still no sign of any groundhogs (or woodchucks, as we call them here).

Really, try it -- it is effective, cheap, "organic" and even kind -- apparently they are very tidy animals who are repulsed by the disgusting kitty litter so they go elsewhere.

never heard of kitty litter, unfortunately our barn cats don't use a litter box, i need to find someone who has cats!! An old farmer recently told me bubble gum, they eat it but can't digest it and they die....i'm of to Sam's Club to get some double bubble or bazooka joe!!

I saw that there were ground hogs in the neighborhood when we moved in. I have three JRT's and a Lab that have the run of all the fields in front of our house. They have kept them ground hog free! The field in back, we let the GH's get into...but if we saw them setting up housekeeping, we would toss the dogs back there, too.

There's also the Rodenator. Watch the video, the narrator really gets into it!

If you REALLY want a bang, you could (according to a friend who did) use an Oxy-Acetylene torch. But you might become a candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Here's one that should be choreographed to The 1812 Overture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9sRZcJ2k5c
    The giggle at 1:16 says it all!
    Last edited by Frank B; Mar. 22, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams