The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Presige Lucky Dressage saddle?

Has anyone had experience with the prestige Lucky dressage saddle? It is the children's model, size 16 but the description says it is fine for small adults. I am 5'4". I'd be curious as to how wide a twist it has and whether the flaps are much shorter than other prestige models in size 16.
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

ElimikaSportPonies Guest

I have a prestige lucky and I love it. I don't have experience with the other prestige models but I am 5"1 and ride ponies. It fits me well and most of the ponies I ride. The seat is nice and has your leg in a good position. You can see pictures on my website www.elimikasportponies.com. I use the prestige on the chestnut pony Mr. Merlot.

Elimika: Adorable ponies! Now I have some more questions. Do you think the billet straps are long enough to fit a horse, or are they made on the short side to fit a pony? I tried to try the Courbette Bernina Jr saddle, but the billet straps were too short to reach the girth, and I tried every girth in the barn!
    Also do you have a feel for how wide the twist is? I definitely prefer a narrow twisted saddle. Thanks!
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

what is the tree shape like? I am looking to fit a horse with a very straight back, with as little arch in the tree as possible.

ElimikaSportPonies Guest

I think the billet straps are long enough for a horse. I actually bought the saddle to fit my 16.1 hanoverian at the time and have since moved exclusively to ponies. I have also used it on smaller ponies in the 13 hand range just fine.
    The twist suits me well, it is not wide. I havn't sat in anything else for so long I dont have a good comparison. It is a comfortable saddle, I have been riding at least 4 ponies a day, no complaints! I think if you sit in one you will love it.
    As for a straight backed horse I think you might be able to have it flocked to fit correctly. The panels are nicely built to sit flat on the horses back. As I said earlier I originally bought it to fit my horse so it can fit a variety of builds and back shapes.

This is one Prestige model I dont have......
    But it looks for shorter type ppl and well, Im 6ft tall and fat, so.... prob wont work for me!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Quote Originally Posted by ElimikaSportPonies View Post
    I have a prestige lucky and I love it. I don't have experience with the other prestige models but I am 5"1 and ride ponies. It fits me well and most of the ponies I ride. The seat is nice and has your leg in a good position. You can see pictures on my website www.elimikasportponies.com. I use the prestige on the chestnut pony Mr. Merlot.
    Hey!!! I have a Mr. Merlot!!! I thought I had the only Mr. Merlot!!
    This is my Merlot (raised him since birth)....
    http://www.spindletopfarm.net/Merlot.htm
    (little bit of a size difference!)

As for your Prestige Lucky model, did they remove the big thigh blocks on this model? It looks like there are hardly any there.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I have a Prestige Lucky and really like it. I'm 5'1" also. I bought it because it was the only thing I could find with short flaps, in my price range, that would fit my Morgan pony mare. I probably tried 20 used saddles before I settled on a new Lucky. The billets are on the short side, but would work with a smaller horse. For a big horse with a large barrel I would get them replaced - wouldn't think it would be too difficult as they are attached to web nylon. I think it's a great saddle for the money and comes in a variety of tree sizes. If you want to get a Lucky, or try one, I highly recommend VTO Saddlery - they are wonderful to work with.
    Second Fiddle Farm

After extreme frustration of finding a petite saddle, I'm considering the Lucky too.