The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Here is Riding a Horse 20 Years or Older?

I'll be the first to raise my hand. Lancer, my 17.2 hand Holsteiner/TB, will turn 21 in a couple of months and is still going strong. I plan on competing him this year at Second Level and maybe Third Level. I've had him since he was 8 but it's taken me that long to figure out how to be the rider he deserves (part of that 10,000 hour mastery thing).

So tell us about your active equine senior citizens!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I have a 3rd level TB who is somewhere between the ages of 19 and 25....He's teeth age him around 19, his regstration has him listed as 1984...but we are not sure if there is a mix up on that one or not. If he is 25, he is a good looking 25 year old. I've had several people guess 6 or8 for his age.

I rode my horse until he was 27, and he died at the grand age of 28 after a mercifully short illness.

There is nothing quite so grand to have around as a golden oldie, I miss mine, he was worth his weight in gold

I'm glad you are enjoying yours

I don't have any golden oldies myself, but I read about a great one. A professional rider/trainer in CA named Susan Peacock has a 32 year old gelding still showing Prix St. Georges. His name is Cassius, and the photos of him are absolutely incredible - he looks fit as a fiddle!

From her website: http://www.dressagepeacock.com/photocassius.html

There is also a Facebook fan club for him; don't know if this link will work if you're not already on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...id=46861946782

I hope I can still do the Prix St. Georges when I'm 32.

My Big Horse is 18 years old. He is a 17.2 hd OTTB. Some days he acts 2 so I hope I have him for a few more years yet. He is 4th level. What ever happens he has a "forever" home with me.

I have a 26 year old TB-he has done Prelim eventing-we were doing Intro but I now have to bite the bullet and GULP do TRAINING LEVEL-he knows what he is doing-I just have figure it out!

Love my boy to death! He is awesome-people can't believe he is 26!

Our 3rd-level Morgan stallion is 26 this year, and the 2nd-level Morgan gelding is 24 this year. Most days I can keep up with them....

My saintly gent took me down the centerline at GP until he was 21. He scored over 63% that year at recognized shows in Florida with a green GP AA in the saddle (that would be me). He was given to me at 19 and is still going strong today at 25, although not at FEI.

He competed at the GP level for 12 years under 4 different riders. He is truly an amazing horse. It is an honor to know him.

My youngest riding student half-leases my oldest horse student. The pair will be returning to the show ring at Training Level this year, with a combined age of 37... younger than almost all of my other riding students.

I've got a 20-year old saint of a guy, who I was going to try my first BN on in the spring until he pulled his stifle on the ice in January. He's gone prelim and is trained to 4th level, so this BN stuff with a middle-aged, roundish re-rider should be a piece of cake. He's got arthritic hocks, high ringbone and a heart of gold. Love my red guy to pieces!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Here is my entry:
    Duell Anastasia, Born October 21, 1980 in Australia. This talented Hanoverian mare by Duellschuetz out of Remake xx (by Make Haste) competed at CDI's for over 13 years. Her outstanding ability to train her riders can be clearly seen in the fact that she had FOUR different riders achieve scores for their USDF Gold Medals! She retired sound from competition in 2003, after placing 3rd in the BLM Finals. "Annie" has been a delight to us all and her animated piaffe and passage were always a treat to ride! She also placed in the Grand Prix and the GP Freestyle at the CDI at Allentown, N. J. in 2003.
    After the age of 20:
    2001 Silver Stirrup Reserve Champion at Grand Prix for the PHR
    2002 Silver Stirrup Intermediare II 4th place All Breed Awards (tied with Alacazam)
    2002 AHS Reserve Champion Grand Prix Freestyle
    2002 PHR Reserve Champion Grand Prix Freestyle
    2003 AHS Reserve Champion Grand Prix Freestyle
    2003 PHR Silver Stirrup All Breed Awards 4th place at Grand Prix
    She is still very sound; if anyone wants to try to ride her and stay with her one-tempis. (They still can get higher and higher until the rider is around her ears.)
    Last edited by not again; Mar. 19, 2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: cna't type or spell
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I have a 20yo that I retired to very light occasional hacks and pony rides a couple of years ago "for her own good" due to injury. She did not do well.

I've spent the last year bringing her back to light but regular dressage work. She's doing well, holding her weight, has a gleam in her eye and a spring in her step. I take her out to the occasional schooling show, which she LOVES (you can hardly walk this mare past an open trailer ... she's always ready to hop in and go).

As long as she holds up and is happy, she's staying in whatever level of work she can manage.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My mare is 21 this year. She was ridden by my husband the last year while I was pregnant then she was pregnant and had a foal at 20. Now I am trying to get her back in shape to be ridden again this year. I have been really torn about the cost of breeding her again vs. the age she can keep having a foal vs the idea of she could be ridden at a high level still...this is amazing what I am hearing from you guys. I owned my mare her whole life and she is still very very sound and always has been. I feel like if I miss this years breeding that may be it for her for babies but I would also so love to be riding her again and if she is anything like your guys then she could have a ton of time left! I have been writing a blog about my weight loss journey so my mare is lunging until I get a little lighter to ride but here are some pics of my 21 yr old at the bottom of my post.
    http://flyingchangesweightloss.blogs...ss-photos.html

I added as a Fan of Cassius on Facebook! Fantastic Thanks!

My old guy is 26 this year and I have owned him 20 years. he is still sound and does light work. He is still bucking and flying through the air on the lunge line. I love it he is still telling me that he is still full of beans at times.

My guy is 22 this year and still going strong. We don't do high-level stuff (my inability, not his), but he does quite well.

I don't think he looks his age at all (he was 21.5 or so in this picture):
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2eba13p.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/9u88wj.jpg

Too bad I don't have a more recent picture, I think his neck has gotten better.

A professional rider/trainer in CA named Susan Peacock has a 32 year old gelding still showing Prix St. Georges.
    That is truly impressive. And inspiring.
    My 20 year old, 17.3 hh debuted at PSG last month.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Thanks for this thread. My boy just turned 18. His sire was competitive at GP in his twenties. Those genes and your stories are a great comfort.

Mine will be 22 in April, and he is still one heck of a horse. I still can't put kids on him. I still think three times before taking him trail riding. I still have him on a calming supplement, and I use Vicks in his nose when I ride him around other horses.
    Last edited by Cindyg; Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM.

Default Maybe the oldest

Two years ago I finally lost my 35 year old gelding. I had raised Kid him from a foal and we were together his entire life. He competed to 3rd level in dressage, evented through Training, and could jump five feet. And he only stood 15.1! He used to beat the warmbloods in dressage, and he was a saddlebred/appaloosa cross. He probably taught at least 50 people to jump after he was retired from competition, and he was only retired because I needed a bigger horse. He continued to compete with my students, both dressage and eventing, his entire life, and was 100% sound. On his 35th birthday we had a party for him and over 40 people showed up, many who had learned to ride on him. One of my students did a dressage test on him, then jumped a small stadium course. He couldn't wait to get to the jumps!

Later that year his best friend of 20 years, my 30 year old stallion, died. Kid went into a deep depression after that. We gave him a new buddy, extra attention, and took him on road trips, but he never got the light back in his eyes. Two months later we found him down in the pasture, unable to move his hind legs. He is buried next to his dear friend, and I truly believe he died of a broken heart.

I, as well as many others, were very blessed to be part of his life.

I'm lucky enough to ride an amazing morgan pony who just turned 22 yesterday. He's wicked awesome and has schooled some upper level stuff in his younger years. for a 22yr old somedays he thinks and feels younger(on really good days he acts warmbloodish). He still has way more good days than bad and as long as that's the case he'll do what he loves best, working and loking fancy.
    another horse at the farm is about 25yrs old and still helps give lessons. he is an apendix but doesn't move like one. he's amazingly patient with those who are still learning the baasics and can pull a couple fancy moves on good days!