The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    Our society needs to start meeting the needs of today's teens--it was a lot different than from when I grew up and society needs to realize that. We don't do a very good job at "getting the word out" either to unwed teenage mothers--they still don't realize in many states they can surrender a baby to "safe havens" if they feel they can't keep it and not be taken to task (get in legal trouble). They don't need to leave their baby on doorsteps anymore in most places.
    Sadly - they DO know their options. Hence the choice to take the route they did.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    If they do not know it is their own doing. These facts and the information about planned parenthood and their parent's not having to know is VERY available. Heck, there are even TV commercials about all this stuff now, on the non-cable stations even (so the poor people like me, who do not have cable can see them). And all schools cover such things in health class and the like.
    Maybe in your neck of the woods, but not everywhere.

I was shocked when I got to college and found women my own age who did not know about how to take care of themselves, were terrified of the pill, thought condoms *caused* HIV (thanks, whatever preacher started that one), etc.

The increase in federal funding for "abstinence only" education was pretty alarming, too.

I had Planned Parenthood come to my school, and knew how to use a condom years before I ever needed one... but there's a surprising and substantial number of young people in this country who don't get that information.

Yeah, it's available on the web, but it seems like they don't bother to look for it, instead relying on what they hear from their friends, for the most part.

Sorry, floated waaay off topic there, but this is an issue I care a lot about.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

How very horrible, but how lovely to see that traditional values are making a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Just cleaning out the gene pool!
    If you can not afford the abortion then maybe you should not be doing what causes you to need one!
    Nice. Fortunately for all of us, stupidity doesn't carry the death penalty. Why does a slutty teenager deserve a lethal injection?

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post

Nice. Fortunately for all of us, stupidity doesn't carry the death penalty. Why does a slutty teenager deserve a lethal injection?
    I have no idea what that has to do with what I said.

I'm posting in regard to teens taking drugs for Special K and "bute". Well I guess the same could be said for any one stupid enough to take horse abortion drugs as well. So yeah, I stand by that statement.

So many teens out there with health problems out of their control, who would do anything to have a chance to lead a long, happy life. Then you have some stupid teens, making stupid decisions and throwing their perfectly good life away.

I didn't go through that rebellious and irresponsible sex life stage, so I guess I have no sympathy. My mom gave me the birds and the bees talk, and I knew the repercussions of my actions. I don't think it's asking too much for teenagers nowadays to do the same.
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Well said Karma!

I'm posting in regard to teens taking drugs for Special K and "bute". Well I guess the same could be said for any one stupid enough to take horse abortion drugs as well. So yeah, I stand by that statement.

So many teens out there with health problems out of their control, who would do anything to have a chance to lead a long, happy life. Then you have some stupid teens, making stupid decisions and throwing their perfectly good life away.

I didn't go through that rebellious and irresponsible sex life stage, so I guess I have no sympathy. My mom gave me the birds and the bees talk, and I knew the repercussions of my actions. I don't think it's asking too much for teenagers nowadays to do the same.
    Ditto.
    Horsey Stick Art clique
    Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
    PPP Grand-Poobah

Before people get too worried about this, consider the source.

Does anyone have a link from an unbiased sources that confirms this is really happening?

That said, it's always a good idea to keep the medicine closet locked.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I just feel sorry for the girls and the women who have to go through such lenghts and risks to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

It would just be so much simplier and safer for them to have access to such services in a regulated framework.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

...or some self control.....guess that is out of the question though....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

I still think a girl is stupid if she injests cattle and horse medicine. Or maybe it's her parents who are stupid for failing to teach her some basic things about life and teen agers.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Before people get too worried about this, consider the source.

Does anyone have a link from an unbiased sources that confirms this is really happening?
    I agree. Do we even know if this is a real problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    This is not a BB for a discussion about whether people are pro life or believe in a woman's right to choose.
    I do not think either of those subjects have come up, actually. I most certainly could not guess the stance of anyone by what is posted here.

I sent an alert too, btw.

Sorry, deleted last post because I was going to re-write instead of edit. The website the story comes from isn't exactly without an agenda. And I do think that it is quite obvious what people's opinions are on this. Chocomare, sorry, but despite what you said in your first sentence, this is absolutely a discussion re pro life vs a woman's right to choose. Perhaps that was not your original intention, but after this many years on this BB you could not post something like that and not know that it was immediately going to turn into it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I do not think either of those subjects have come up, actually. I most certainly could not guess the stance of anyone by what is posted here.

I sent an alert too, btw.
    Why would you send an alert? There is nothing horrible being said on this thread and no fighting and it did start off horse related becasue they are equine meds being used
    But its no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then

-alice in wonderland

Good for you and your mom. When I got my first period I was told "don't let a boy kiss you or you'll have a baby". Terrifying words to a 12 year old.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by xabbracadabra View Post
    Why would you send an alert? There is nothing horrible being said on this thread and no fighting and it did start off horse related becasue they are equine meds being used
    I was responding to a post that was removed where someone said they reported this thread twice.

I do not believe the majority of the discussion here (which I have taken part in too) is horse related. Pretty much none of it is actually. That is why I reported it.

The thread did start out horse related, but the majority of posts have been addressing teenage pregnancy, access to abortion services, etc., so it isn't horse-related anymore.

We're going to leave the thread up, but close it, and move it to Around the Farm, so folks get a reminder of another potential reason to lock up meds at the farm.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by xabbracadabra View Post