The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clinicing with Bonnie Mosser

Has anyone worked with Bonnie Mosser? Would you kindly share your experience? Area 1 has a clinic scheduled with her this summer. THank you!

Hey!
    Yep, I did a clinic with her last fall on the red horse, and would ride with her again in a second. She did a great job of adjusting to the different levels of horses and riders in the group (and juggling one pretty experienced adult on a baby and two BN kids on ponies is no mean feat), and seemed to have no end of tools for different stuff that came up. She was challenging. I think you'd really like her. Would you take your red horse or the not-so-much-anymore-a youngster?

Quote Originally Posted by sharri13 View Post
    Has anyone worked with Bonnie Mosser? Would you kindly share your experience? Area 1 has a clinic scheduled with her this summer. THank you!
    When and where? Couldn't find it on the Area 1 site.

Triple Combination Farm in Ferrisburg, VT is doing one - maybe in July? I got the announcement yesterday. It's probably on their website.

Another yes vote, she will make you work hard and hone in on small details that will be a revelation
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Bonnie is a great instructor! I would encourage you to attend!

It's at Triple Combination Farm in Ferrisburgh, Vermont, July 25-27. I just barely posted it on the area I website so it'll show up in a day or two. Showjumping day one, xc day 2. People will ride either Sat-Sun or Sun-Mon; Bonnie can't get there until Saturday around noon, hence the weird schedule. We'll also do a potluck with her one of the evenings. Last year it was very informative, and she talked really honestly about the upper levels of the sport as well as giving great advice to novice riders.
    I was amazed at how versatile she was. I took away huge gains with my prelim horse, and my student (15 yrs old) whose horse had literally never gone xc got just as much out of it. I normally do a different clinician every year to give local people some variety, but I just had to have her come back. I've done clinics with a lot of the ULRs and she was hands down the best. Info is on the farm website, www.triplecombinationfarm.com.
    Andrea

Saskatoonian - I'd be taking the Beef Cake. The red horse will be offered for sale this spring. You took me by surprise! I was thinking, how does this person know me? Got quite a chuckle!!

I'm thinking of trying her, or going back to Lucinda. Any thoughts on the two as comparatives?

Bonnie is GREAT! I rode with her all last spring and loved her. She will give you great exercises and really make you confident and happy with your horse. I have also rode with her a clinic situation. She is fun, energetic, and will challenge you!! Have FUN!

How soon they forget!
    Not sure I can compare Lucinda and Bonnie as I'm a certified Lucinda groupie and have only done 1 clinic with Bonnie, but let me give it a try. Day 1 with Bonnie was real showjumping, as opposed to day 1 with Lucinda, which is XC. Bonnie made me hold my reins; Lucinda always lets me slip them. Lucinda sets up her crazy points and arrows and skiinnies and weirdo distances and expects you to look like hell doing them; Bonnie had normal jumps and distances and expects you to jump them well. So it really depends on what you want to work on with your boy. Both had Toucan doing more than I'd have expected of him, and left him feeling like he was the coolest ever. And I had a blast hanging out with the TCF crowd.

Hi Everyone-

I'm obviously completely biased because I've worked for Bonnie for years and she has been my coach for just as long but... I just wanted to say that I organize almost all of her clinics and/or assist the organizers with their efforts and I have never had even one complaint from a rider. Usually people are begging her to stay an extra day or come back the following week . She is really really fun, always, but especially in clinic settings. She will challenge you yet you'll feel like you are playing. She is very clear and has great analogies for the concepts she trys to teach. You will walk away with concrete things to work on. She is also very available so if you like what you get its easy to set up a weekend with her at her farm, hook up with her at events, etc.

She will be at Triple Combination Farm in Vermont in July and Town Hill Farm in Lakeville, CT in April. (www.townhillfarm.com). She will also hopefully be in Massachusetts later in the fall.

Have a great time!
    Rebecca

Was she the one who made you ride with rocks in your hands? That was a really funny clinic report! But talk about an effective exercise!

that would be 4 *^$&* rocks in each hand...

Default thumbs up

another thumbs up for Bonnie

Chris, it was HILARIOUS watching you try to ride w/the rocks. I used that trick on one of my floaty-fingered students last week and it worked like a charm! She nailed me too though--I was throwing my hips to the left so she dropped my right stirrup. Four (*&^ holes. Over a 4' oxer. My hips were SO straight by the end of the day! I still fight with it but I'm so much more aware of it now, and it makes a huge difference. NO one else had spotted that on me before (sorry Denny!)

She's GREAT. She LOVED Mikey (or pretended to anyways) and we had a super great clinic...2005? Dead of Winter in MA. Can't remember quite where it was. Anyhow, she's really good and really fun.

Hi Andrea! I still laugh every time I think about it, much less tell the story, and especially that I never even finished my approach to the first jump before I'd lost one rock the first time (and I was only holding 1 rock at that point!).

That's part of what made it a great clinic - that you can work really hard on the things you need to work on, and have a blast doing it.