The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunter prospect? critique... video finally added (post 22) 3 yrs later

What do you think of her form? She has only been free jumped a few times. Do you see hunter or jumper?

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...14_8330397.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...rank/phant.jpg
    Last edited by Savoy 8; Feb. 10, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

really no one has a opinion?
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

I'll start!

Nice jump! Looks like she'll be careful.

I don't think I can ever predict which ring a horse is going to end up in until they're undersaddle and working regularly. Then they just sort of tell me where they want to go. Of course, I like it if they tell me "JUMPER RING" but that's just what I want to hear from them. If she were mine, I'd aim her for the jumpers.

Too early to tell much and she is still very green over the top. She does use herself very well and looks like she will stay very careful.

Hunters are also about overall movement between the jumps, that makes it kind of hard to pick one at this point.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default Hunter or Jumper?

Hi,
    It would be easier to tell if you had a video clip. I suspect she is a Jumper type, but a video would clarify alot!

ehhh what is with all of these people not using correct free jumping practices? So unsafe!!!
    "I have puppies instead of children. I'd rather ruin my carpet than my life."

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    ehhh what is with all of these people not using correct free jumping practices? So unsafe!!!

Oh brother.

Why not start a thread then with the guidelines for "safe" free jumping practices and try to educate people if you feel this sort of thing is unsafe?

Do some of you people wear a "hall monitor" vest and go around giving people safety violation citations and checking for "hall passes" and "bathroom passes"?

These pictures didn't really deserve an "unsafe" citation.

Good lord.

what EXACTLY was unsafe about the free jumping photos?????

I think the horse has a very nice bascule, really using its back and neck very well, could be a little tigher up front, but not bad at all and plenty of scope. Right now I am going to say jumper BUT with work, training and some grids her front end will likely tighten up a good bit. Honestly what I look for interms of a prospective hunter IS a good jump, but very importantly is the natural tendency to go slow to and away from the fence in a steady rhythum and be slow over top the fence. That cannot be judged from one or two still photos jumping and how a horse free jumps vs. under saddle can be very very different. But the hrose in question is definitely an athelete!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh brother.

Why not start a thread then with the guidelines for "safe" free jumping practices and try to educate people if you feel this sort of thing is unsafe?

Do some of you people wear a "hall monitor" vest and go around giving people safety violation citations and checking for "hall passes" and "bathroom passes"?

Good lord.
    LMAO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter View Post
    Because she has a ground pole rolled out on the landing side???

I like what I see, the mare seems to have a really nice shoulder lift up into the withers.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Thanks Tidy.

I just power washed my screen with Coke. You rock.

Thanks all for the critique... I mostly do the jumpers so of course I would love to see her go in that direction. I had heard from others that she would make a great hunter, so I thought I would ask everyone on here. Yes it would be better to tell with a video and I will have to see if I can get one. She is a 3 year old TB filly, a homebred named Halo's Phantasia. I originally intended for her to go to the track, but she has a such a small frame I feared she would easily be one of the injured. I have just started her undersaddle a few months ago.

I actually didn't intend to free jump her with this kind of set up, but she was turned out in the ring and went over a little verticle herself just playing around, so I put up a "box" and trotted her up to these and then just let her go a few feet out. (maybe not the best, but I didn't find it unsafe) she was immediately rewarded afterwards! She LOVED it!

Like everyone else commented - it is hard to tell, but she has a nice front end. She just looks like she has a lot of scope. It is fun though if you have a nice jump on your jumper to cross into the derby classes. Could be fun!

Ummm...you probably don't want to be inside the box formed by the wings on the takeoff side with the horse when you send them ahead and over.

I did notice that. I also found it not worth mentioning because A) you did not ask and B) you look like you are out of the way and properly sent a well behaved youngster forward. Didn't see a huge problem and I was too busy looking at the horse.

Lord...we all do things that strike others as unsafe. But when you get a picture as good and honest of a youngster like that? Why nitpick????

My gosh...don't be hanging around me all the time with a camera. I don't carry the "rule book" with me every time I pick up the lunge line either.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh brother.

Good lord.
    Haha you always crack me up! Thanks for making my day better!

I just don't understand why people don't set up the free jumping on the rail and actually make a chute. Why would you set your horse up for failure? I could be wrong but in both pictures it looks like the "leader" led the horse up to the jump and then stopped right before. But I guess if it works for the horse in question?!

P.s. your horse is cute! Jumps well but I would say that if you wanted to know if he/she is geared towards hunter or jumper we would need a video. Pictures just aren't enough!

not trying to be the "stickler" but just pointing some things out.

Yes, I probably should have set up a proper shoot and such, but I didn't. I personally don't believe I am setting her up for failure! But I guess some people see it that way.

She absolutely loves jumping, when I ride her she will try to drag you over to the jumps! haha

Well, I will set up a proper chute for my horse and he'll jump out of it so I suppose that could be seen as "unsafe" as well. Funny part is, he'll jump a 3' to 3'6" rail to get "out" of the chute rather than jump the cross rail. He really does it to be a toad. He'll always look at me first like "make sure your watching this lady" and then hops out, and keeps on cantering like "aren't I cute".

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy 8 View Post
    Yes, I probably should have set up a proper shoot and such, but I didn't. I personally don't believe I am setting her up for failure! But I guess some people see it that way.

She absolutely loves jumping, when I ride her she will try to drag you over to the jumps! haha
    As much as tidy rabbit made my day, setting ground poles on the landing side, though I would not say it was dangerous in this case, as it was only 6"-9" out, can be a little tricky for a young horse, kind of like setting a false back rail.

I am sure you do not free jump her enough to cause any bad habits. Sometimes however; setting up fences like that will teach a young horse all kinds of bad habits, which alter their natural jump, or at the least teach them to find jumping safety measures. Sometimes they stop closing up over a fence, don't use their shoulder properly, jump flat, as they are more concerned about getting their feet on the ground, or twist behind, etc. if they start to feel over-faced.

As far as her discipline my cursory thought would be the jumper ring. The one thing I see is that she is not as vertical with her knees as I like to see on a young hunter prospect, which again could be the ground poles on the landing side. A good clue is her ears, they indicate that she has stopped looking forward and that may be because she was eyeing that ground pole, hard to tell from a picture. Maybe any future free jumping, set a ground pole a stride before and a stride after instead, it will help her rhythm, her eye, and get her back on her hind end.

However she certainly seems to be scopey enough based on the pictures for 4'3" jumpers, and who knows maybe more, maybe a lot more.
    Good Luck!