The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How my neighbors are bombproofing my horses one season at a time

It started last fall with Halloween. The neighbors to the front of me put out some straw bales on their front lawn complete with scarecrow and other miscellaneous pumpkin type decor.

Christmas comes and we've got blow up snowmen, candy cane arches,. huge santa in a sled that waves his hand AND sings Christmas carols. Neighbors to the side of me have a large blow up merry-go-round on front lawn.

I Come home one day to find my two running around like fools b/c the neighbor on the side is flying a kite on a pretty spring day.

Today my greenie was unusually spookish and curious about the neighbors across the street. I look out and see they've hung glittery Easter eggs from the trees with long sparkling strings that blow in the wind.

Oh and it never fails, every time I get on to ride someone starts up a chain saw or other type of machinery.

Oh well, they are becoming spook proof

You will thank them for it if you don't get killed first! Don't people pay good money for bombproofing classes? My gelding grew up across the street from a steel construction place, cranes, big bangs, large heavy equiptment: all no problem. A cow??!!! Now what in the world is that thing?
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

The kite comment made me think of that horse blog...a TB gelding,can't remember his name...who "blogs" about scary things and refers to kites as flying bags with worms coming out of their butts.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I have neighbors like that too. One side has big blow-up things for most holidays, shoots black-powder rifles, as is constantly welding, sawing, or otherwise making some odd noise. Footballs, flying tents, you name it. The other side has ATV's, a giant goat, remote-control airplanes that they fly over MY pasture instead of their 8 acres, and a dog that likes to stand at the fence and quietly stare. The ones behind me have cows occasionally, and the infrequent visitor who likes to burnout on the grass driveway past my pasture.

My horses are OK with pretty much anything by now.

One of my personal favorites is when the kids at the neighborhood pool next to our arena start playing Marco Polo, or whacking each other with pool noodles.

Gosh, all we have is a helicopter on the back side of pasture. It is behind the trees, but noisy so they hear it getting ready to fly up and APPEAR in the air. Owner flies it a lot in the summer, comes home in it for lunch! Weekends his helicopter friends come visit, in their helicopters. Sounds like a big bee swarm in the area.

Otherwise we are the weird neighbors, making noises, with peculiar stuff in the yard. Our horses are pretty accepting. If they just can't stand it, they run off to the field for a mental break. Usually they are standing by the fence gawking at whatever is happening.

We consider it "training" in getting them accepting of things they might meet later. Their acceptance of human peculiarity is a sign of a good mind. Gives you that extra fraction of time, to help them in other locations, if they need help and confidence to face things.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Sounds like a big bee swarm in the area.

Wink

I don't have to rely on the neighbors, I'm bad enough. I took my horse to vet clinic last week to have her coggins pulled. On the way back, I stopped at the trailer place to have trailer inspected(had never gone there before). They pulled the trailer right into the building with horse in trailer. In the next area, they were using a grinder on the hitch section of a trailer and next to that using that air jack thingy to take tires off a truck. When the guy came out to say they were done, I asked if my horse was a problem. Nope, she was just standing in the trailer eating her hay. I do have to admit though when I boarded at my trainer's show barn her husband "heavy equipment trained" all the horses free of charge.He had a dump truck which he had at his shop about 60 feet from the end of the ring. He also was always doing stuff with the tractors and welding things in the shop so the smoke and flashes of bright light caught your horse's attention as you went into the corner. They also had a trampoline on the lawn next to the shop and the kids would constantly be jumping around on that or riding the golf cart or scooter all over the lawn next to the ring. They also had chickens which were free roaming and liked to hide in the bushes along the edge of the ring or under the apple tree right next to the ring. The apple tree was quite popular with the deer in the fall and I had several experiences when I was riding and a doe came into the ring and was trotting around with her two fawns.

Default new meaning to "bomb proof"

My trail rides are typically on the property out our back gate. However, out our back gate is the Fort Lewis Military Reservation. We are required to have a Ft. Lewis issued range pass to ride there and we call in to the military with our ride times and the locations that we will be riding to ensure our safety before we venture out. Nevertheless, it is not uncommon to hear gunfire and bombing nearby while we ride. It gives a new meaning to "bomb proof" for our horses.
    ---------------
    I once belonged to Charlie (but now he lives with another BB member). I still have Sissy-1982 Quarter Horse Mare and Chrome-Percheron/TB Mare

Our horses are pretty much spook proof and have seen most everything what with DH driving the tractor around, using the air gun, sawing, welding, constructing, destructing, and on and on.

The other day I was trail riding on the little mustang and there was a little piece of plastic on the trail that she would not go past. At all. We went around and around for about 15 minutes before she would continue down the trail. On the way back, we passed by enormous logging equipment on either side that looked pretty scary to me; she didn't even bat an eye
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

1 members found this post helpful.

I spent a year in Panama back in the late 80's, working at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. I free-leased a mare at one of the Air Force bases there, who's owner had gone to the States for college. There were some lovely trails through the jungle, but you could count on hearing howler monkeys screaming (a sound you will NEVER forget once you hear it), seeing spider monkeys and having them throw stuff at you from up in the trees, and seeing the occasional Humvee on maneuvers. Talk about bomb-proof horses!

This was taken at one of the hunter shows that year. I love the picture because of the jungle background (and the mare looks pretty cute too):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1129175141
    Last edited by tikidoc; Mar. 19, 2009 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo

Oh, it's the whole area here. From huge farm machinery to snowmobiles by the dozen zooming past across the road to the neighbors cows and the bull getting out and in our yard endless times or the injured Canada Goose in the baby's pasture.

Then there was the time the lumber guys were taking trees from our small woods near the boys pasture. It's kind of loud when the chainsaws are going and the tree is felled. All the boys just mozied over saying "gee what the heck is going on" and stood and watched them take trees.

The best had to be when the NYS police Helicopter was feet off the ground across the road looking for "weed" in amongst the growing corn. They were just hovering there and hardly moving while scanning the area. They horses did not even lift their heads from eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
    One of my personal favorites is when the kids at the neighborhood pool next to our arena start playing Marco Polo, or whacking each other with pool noodles.
    They put the pool NEXT to the arena? Brilliant. Screaming, running splashing kids next to a riding arena... that's smart planning! rigghttt... This is why development planners of equestrian communities need EQUESTRIAN experience

The immediate area of the barn where my lease horse lives is pretty quiet and normal, aside from the interesting menagerie that my BO keeps (an emu, pigs, chickens, donkey, mini's etc).
    To really bombproof your horse, you go to the county park down the road where they're always holding kids' birthday parties with balloons, loud music, and "bounce houses." The horse I lease could care less, even when a huge group of toddlers tries to run over to us screaming "HORSEEEE!"

"Horses give us the wings we lack"

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Christmas comes and we've got blow up snowmen, candy cane arches,. huge santa in a sled that waves his hand AND sings Christmas carols.
    My former BO had the snowman with a candycane in his hand on the front lawn...whenever a breeze would move it, it looked like an axe murderer.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by equest View Post
    They put the pool NEXT to the arena? Brilliant. Screaming, running splashing kids next to a riding arena... that's smart planning! rigghttt... This is why development planners of equestrian communities need EQUESTRIAN experience
    Try riding in an area directly behind a daycare center's out door play area. I can't count the number of balls that came flying at my horse's head over the fence. At least there were some trees to block the view... but the noise, she screeching. Sheesh. It took her a few months to get used to.

The BO's son of the place I board now (not the same place referenced above) has this bright yellow Tonka tractor he likes to ride around in. My horse doesn't even look at it. The wind blows... that's another story!

Seri - glad all is well with you! Hope you are enjoying having the boys at home.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    The other day I was trail riding on the little mustang and there was a little piece of plastic on the trail that she would not go past. At all. We went around and around for about 15 minutes before she would continue down the trail. On the way back, we passed by enormous logging equipment on either side that looked pretty scary to me; she didn't even bat an eye

For mine, what has been most spook provoking is water dripping from the ceiling of the arena, an empty grain bag, a round bale in a field and a foal (and she's had two of them herself)... Helicopters, bicycles, deflated snow globes, huge pieces of farm equipment, avalanches from the arena roof--they are all no problem....

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    Oh and it never fails, every time I get on to ride someone starts up a chain saw or other type of machinery.

Oh well, they are becoming spook proof

I think we have the same neighbours! I too have some that decide to fire up chain saws, race past our shared fence line that is also home to my sand arena on their little screaming kiddy quads, start hammering/drilling, dropping, pounding you name it. Everything is always super quiet, and as soon as my foot is in the stirrup, it seems everything fires up. I could swear they do it on purpose, as it happened EVERY day last summer while riding my two three year olds

Hubby and I frequently trail ride in a local park where part of one of the trails goes right by the large 2-pool complex, complete with water slides, fake palm trees, huge umbrellas, and tons of kids splashing and screaming around. We were surprised when neither horse was at all bothered by it; in fact, they seemed rather intrigued by all the neat stuff.

At that same park, we were walking by a soccer field, game in play. Heard the ball get kicked hard, and here it came at warp speed, rolling and bouncing across the ground, out of bounds, straight for hubby in front of me. I called out to him, "incoming!", but he wasn't quick enough to make an evasive manuever. No problem, though, ball rolls straight to hubby's gelding, and that good boy ended up kicking it right back towards the field, never missing a step.

The players yelled "hey, thanks!"
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Default I wish

I sometimes wish my neighbors did those things but, they aren't close enough for it to matter anyway. If they were, I wouldn't have had to pay for this: http://web.centre.edu/dajones/Sindar...arin/index.htm
    (bottom photo)

As it is, I never did get this horse used to the neighbors corn crop right next to the fence where I ride (only fairly level spot). Of course, he put animal traps in amongst the corn and then would come out in the morning and shoot what he'd caught. That might have had something to do with it.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Our outdoor area consists of a sand arena and a field that backs up to a subdivision and a power station. So we get a lot of electric-company trucks and humming power lines, as well as men hammering on their homes’ aluminum siding, kids on swings, and one memorable day a flatbed truck rolling through loaded with a bunch of trees to be planted on a berm. The best was last summer when one of the neighbors set up a dog agility course, complete waving flags, whooping humans and four screaming canines.