The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2L-

It's the enforceability that is at issue, not really the contract itself.

IE: You may have a perfectly binding contract that even outlines what course of action will be taken should the contract be broken....but unless you're checking up on the horse regularly (and even then), it's not that hard for someone to sell the horse without you knowing.

Once you KNOW, you can certainly go after the person legally. But as in some of the cases we've seen lately, by the time you learn about it, the horse may be dead.

So it's not the contract that is at issue. It's the ability to enforce them.

Let's say you sold me a horse with a first right of refusal clause. Let's say I turned around and sold horse right away. Not many people are going to ask to see the bill of sale for the prior transaction. The buyer would have NO IDEA that I didn't have authorization to sell without first offering the horse back to you. So off they go. Now they think they own the horse outright. And on it goes. Maybe they're good folks who love the horse, maybe it's a kill buyer. But either way, they believe they've gotten the horse legally....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by millwrightmomma View Post
    If you are sure he went thru the sale at NH, or another one, and was shipped for KB, likely to Canada.......
    Get on the phone immediately tomorrow morning, to the 4 major slaughter houses, 2 in quebec, one in saskachetewan, and one in Alberta. Also alert the sale barn OLEX in St Jacobs Ontario( sales on tuesday). Frequently NH horses go there, are run thru the ring, and more are purchased, and DD to Quebec, gone the same day!!!
    Tell them he was taken to the sales barn without permission, give them a full description and get a pictre to them ASAP.
    File a police report, it might be civil, but file one anyway.

four main Horse Slaughter Plants in Canada (Bouvry owns one in quebec, and the alberta one.)

BOUVRY EXPORT CALGARY LTD.
    Head Office
    #312 222-58th Avenue S.W.
    Calgary, Alberta Canada T2H 2S3
    403-253-0717
    403-259-3568 (fax)
    bouvryca@telusplanet.net

Owner: Claude Bouvry
    Two Locations: Alberta and Quebec
    Maintains feedlots in Shelby, MT and
    Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada

VIANDE RICHELIEU, INC.
    Richelieu Meat, Inc.
    595, rue Royale C.P. 101
    Massueville, Qu├ębec Canada JOG 1KO
    450-788-2667
    450-788-2622 (fax)
    courrier@vianderichelieu.com

Neudorf, Saskatchewan
    (306) 748-2477
    (306) 748-2286 fax
    www.naturalvalley.ca
    (their website has been removed from internet)
    Mailing Address:
    523 Garnet Street
    Wolseley, Saskatchewan
    S0G 5H0
    Plant Manager:Cam Taylor, Livestock manager: Ken Piller

OLEX
    www.OLEX.on.ca
    1 519 638 5555
    or toll free 1 888 449 4463

The plant in Saskatchewan is closed, has been for some time now. Don't know why they closed as they also did custom slaughter of other animals as well......probably went bust because of too many cost prohibitive regs and licencing fees, like most small butcher operations. They were one of the few places that did bison, elk and other exotics....so one down, 3 to go for exotics (not counting horses in this), just griping about regulations concering bison, etc.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaZ2race View Post
    But I was listening to the news the other night about the whole AIG issue and giving huge bonuses. People want the government to interject and make AIG give the money back BUT they can't because AIG had a binding contract to give the bonuses and that is protected under the Constitution. Why can't horse contracts be as protected? or do people just not take the drastic steps to inforce them because they're not for millions of dollars?
    Right. Its hard to spend $20K to get the money back for a now dead horse. If you have first right of refusal and the horse sells for $100K? Then people are willing to litigate the clause.

I think that when most folks think of something being against the law, they think of CRIMINAL law, as in, the cops are coming to haul your a$$ away when you break it.

Breaking a contract is a matter to be pursued in civil court, and that means that the real driver of what gets done is $$.

I think when folks in threads like this want it to be illegal for folks to buy Pokey from you under false pretenses / against an existing right of first refusal clause etc. and then take Pokey to the NH meat buyer, they want the cops to come screeching up in a squad car and haul folks like the gentleman in this case away to jail. And that, my friends, is never going to happen. Sadly.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Hey there SK Pacer,
    I don't want to be arguementative or anything, but they are up and running doing 200 or more horses daily.
    They changed the namme from Natural Valley to Natural Meats.

The 2 week shut down was in response to 2 films being made public and a huge outcry, new inspectors, following the rules, etc are supposed to be in place.

We are not so lucky as to have closed it completely.
    The phone number is still the same,

Don't worry, people are following up. The horse did not make it to TN - not sure of the details (some type of legal threat made by the owner to Jack) but the horse is not far from me. I'm told the TN buyer was not a good home (picks up at one auction and takes to the next) and backed out quickly.

The horse was likely sold by either a man named J.R. or a man named Jerome. Jerome may have been the hauler. Do those names ring any bells to the New Holland regulars?

Animal control is supposed to be checking on Playacar right now and local police will decide what to do with the fact that Jack broke his court order not allowing him to own horses or have them on his property.

Usually a broken contract is considered a civil matter by cops, but in this case Jack blatantly broke the law by taking possession of Playacar.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

So the horse is not safe yet?

Will animal control seize him and hold him?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    So the horse is not safe yet?

Will animal control seize him and hold him?
    He's safe. Animal control is with him now and working with the owner. I'm guessing Jack will get another charge but Playacar will be looking for a home. I'm going to see him tonight or tomorrow and will foster him if the local rescue is too full.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    He's safe. Animal control is with him now and working with the owner. I'm guessing Jack will get another charge but Playacar will be looking for a home. I'm going to see him tonight or tomorrow and will foster him if the local rescue is too full.
    Thank you. And thanks for taking him in.

Good for you Cool Meadows and for acting quickley.

The only JR I know of out of NH is a KB that comes to ontario, stops at OLEX, and goes Right to Quebec. There must be others though.

Breaking probation is a good charge

I think info like this and the university thread are important to keep in mind when someone considers putting down an older horse if they can't keep it instead of giving it away. Many times posters get angry about putting down a horse that isn't suffering horribly but it is so difficult to find a home for a horse that is not useful, and almost just as difficult to find a home for a horse that is!

Quote Originally Posted by millwrightmomma View Post
    Good for you Cool Meadows and for acting quickley.

The only JR I know of out of NH is a KB that comes to ontario, stops at OLEX, and goes Right to Quebec. There must be others though.

Breaking probation is a good charge
    Not wanting to argue, but something does not click.... he picks up horses at NH and come Olex in Ontario... then he would have to have coggins and stuff on the horses. Correct?

Otherwise, the horses have to have the USDA stickers, trailer is sealed at the border and goes directly to the SH whether Qc or Sask. How can he stop and supposedly try to sell (I think you mentioned that somewhere) or buy more at Olex, load them in the same trailer and go on to the SH?

Just wondering... or are you saying that he sometimes works out of NH, sometimes comes to Olex, etc...

JR and Jerome dont ring any bells either......

Not familiar with JR or Jerome either.