The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marli View Post
    CoolMeadows

Any chance of a picture of this gelding?

True 17 hd. horse?

Markings- just a star? (no white on legs)

Color- bay (correct?)

Does the former owner know if he was sound?

I've already notified Christy about this big fella however she didn't get to see much of the sale on Monday as she was coordinating coggins/hc/pickup of ALOT of the broker horses that found homes. We do have contacts though with some of the dealers to inquire. Would be helpful to have a little more specific info on the horses appearance. Thanks!
    I'm working on more details but what you've got so far is all I know. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner but her horsey friend told me he was well over 17 hands. A picture would be fantastic, here's hoping...
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

This problem of horses being toted off to NH (or other sales), and horses that have been given away with conditions (a contract/agreement) seems to be on the rise in recent weeks.

Good article just published today- can be found here:

http://ottb-rescue-community.socialgo.com/forum/topic/6

I've a feeling that with the economy tanking people are becoming more and more bold and brazen to violate written contracts/agreeemnts. Horses have been bringing more money and the dealers have been scrambling to get as many horses as they can to ship to slaughter.

I can't stress enough- the importance of KNOWING who you're giving your horse to, including checking references, speaking to others that know the person WELL. Periodic calls and emails asking for dated pictures to know the horse is still where it's suppose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    I'm working on more details but what you've got so far is all I know. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner but her horsey friend told me he was well over 17 hands. A picture would be fantastic, here's hoping...
    Okay, well if he's a true 17 hd. TB he should stand out in a crowd. There is a dealer that buys at NH for resale (but also ship to slaughter if they don't sell). Christy and I both know him. Will make contact to see if this horse sounds familiar.

He was not at NH Monday unless he sold very early in the riders and was taken out of the sale right away. I was there not long after the sale started and went through all of the horses, looked at the few TBs closely.

Are you sure he went to New Holland? I will keep an eye out. This man's name I am not familiar with- I know a lot of people there but dont know everyone of course.

Bev Strauss
    MidAtlantic Horse Rescue

Bev,

That would actually be somewhat encouraging and perhaps (?) a private home.

Could this guy have taken the horse to a different sale- Unadilla?
    Or could he have sold the horse privately outside of an auction?

Marli, why does that mans name ring a bell for me?

If you are sure he went thru the sale at NH, or another one, and was shipped for KB, likely to Canada.......
    Get on the phone immediately tomorrow morning, to the 4 major slaughter houses, 2 in quebec, one in saskachetewan, and one in Alberta. Also alert the sale barn OLEX in St Jacobs Ontario( sales on tuesday). Frequently NH horses go there, are run thru the ring, and more are purchased, and DD to Quebec, gone the same day!!!
    Tell them he was taken to the sales barn without permission, give them a full description and get a pictre to them ASAP.
    File a police report, it might be civil, but file one anyway.

four main Horse Slaughter Plants in Canada (Bouvry owns one in quebec, and the alberta one.)

BOUVRY EXPORT CALGARY LTD.
    Head Office
    #312 222-58th Avenue S.W.
    Calgary, Alberta Canada T2H 2S3
    403-253-0717
    403-259-3568 (fax)
    bouvryca@telusplanet.net

Owner: Claude Bouvry
    Two Locations: Alberta and Quebec
    Maintains feedlots in Shelby, MT and
    Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada

VIANDE RICHELIEU, INC.
    Richelieu Meat, Inc.
    595, rue Royale C.P. 101
    Massueville, Québec Canada JOG 1KO
    450-788-2667
    450-788-2622 (fax)
    courrier@vianderichelieu.com

Neudorf, Saskatchewan
    (306) 748-2477
    (306) 748-2286 fax
    www.naturalvalley.ca
    (their website has been removed from internet)
    Mailing Address:
    523 Garnet Street
    Wolseley, Saskatchewan
    S0G 5H0
    Plant Manager:Cam Taylor, Livestock manager: Ken Piller

OLEX
    www.OLEX.on.ca
    1 519 638 5555
    or toll free 1 888 449 4463
    Last edited by millwrightmomma; Mar. 18, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Could this guy have taken the horse to a different sale- Unadilla?
    Or could he have sold the horse privately outside of an auction?

Marli, why does that mans name ring a bell for me?
    Without knowing if the man that had the horse - consigned and sold the horse through New Holland, yes, the horse could've been sold privately and perhaps never stepped foot at NH.

If the former owner had a contract with the man, and that contract has been violated, then the owner needs to report this to the police. In turn the police can inquire at NH to see if in fact, this man sold the horse there.

I don't know why this mans name would ring a bell for you- it didn't with me, nor Christy or Bev. Never heard of him.

Updated the first post. Playacar has been fielded on his way to TN. I'm not sure how the owner made that happen, assuming she let Jack know the local police would be interested that he had taken possession of a horse? Who knows... just glad Playacar avoided the kill pen.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Good job finding him.

Is this Jack person known to sell horses to meat / NH on false pretenses? Has he done it before, to anyone's knowledge?
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Updated the first post. Playacar has been fielded on his way to TN. I'm not sure how the owner made that happen, assuming she let Jack know the local police would be interested that he had taken possession of a horse? Who knows... just glad Playacar avoided the kill pen.
    Oh thank goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Good job finding him.

Is this Jack person known to sell horses to meat / NH on false pretenses? Has he done it before, to anyone's knowledge?
    The only convictions he has are for neglect and allowing his horses to wander on roads - and he has the court order forbidding him from owning horses again. It sounds like the NH regulars don't recognize his name. Don't know if he does business before the sale regularly but locally he's known as someone who will take a freebie and immediately send it to auction.

Quote Originally Posted by millwrightmomma View Post
    If you are sure he went thru the sale at NH, or another one, and was shipped for KB, likely to Canada.......
    Get on the phone immediately tomorrow morning, to the 4 major slaughter houses, 2 in quebec, one in saskachetewan, and one in Alberta. Also alert the sale barn OLEX in St Jacobs Ontario( sales on tuesday). Frequently NH horses go there, are run thru the ring, and more are purchased, and DD to Quebec, gone the same day!!!
    Tell them he was taken to the sales barn without permission, give them a full description and get a pictre to them ASAP.
    File a police report, it might be civil, but file one anyway.

four main Horse Slaughter Plants in Canada (Bouvry owns one in quebec, and the alberta one.)

BOUVRY EXPORT CALGARY LTD.
    Head Office
    #312 222-58th Avenue S.W.
    Calgary, Alberta Canada T2H 2S3
    403-253-0717
    403-259-3568 (fax)
    bouvryca@telusplanet.net

Owner: Claude Bouvry
    Two Locations: Alberta and Quebec
    Maintains feedlots in Shelby, MT and
    Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada

VIANDE RICHELIEU, INC.
    Richelieu Meat, Inc.
    595, rue Royale C.P. 101
    Massueville, Québec Canada JOG 1KO
    450-788-2667
    450-788-2622 (fax)
    courrier@vianderichelieu.com

Neudorf, Saskatchewan
    (306) 748-2477
    (306) 748-2286 fax
    www.naturalvalley.ca
    (their website has been removed from internet)
    Mailing Address:
    523 Garnet Street
    Wolseley, Saskatchewan
    S0G 5H0
    Plant Manager:Cam Taylor, Livestock manager: Ken Piller

OLEX
    www.OLEX.on.ca
    1 519 638 5555
    or toll free 1 888 449 4463
    Thank you for posting this information. Everyone should copy it and keep it in case anyone needs to call on a horse.
    Is the horse going to a good place in Tennessee?

The law needs to protect the horses if there is a contract. Let's make sure before we sell any horses that there is a binding contract. I would have a very hard time selling one of my horses for this reason. I've helped others sell horses and I stress over it. The price tag of the horses I've helped sell is always over $2,000 but it wouldn't be that hard to see someone practically giving a horse away if they've paid that much. Passing a horse on at a lower and lower price they could easily end up with a kill buyer and be sent to slaughter without the first seller ever expecting this to happen. The dishonesty and trickery is over the top, so any person that misrepresents himself should be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Jingling for a good outcome for this boy.....and a plague of pustulent boils on the lying bastige who sent him there. Cockroach.
    Regardless of one's feelings about slaugther, they had a CONTRACT. It isn't like some fluffy bunny person who went by some idealistic notion....they actually tried to ensure a horse's safety. It isn't even like they sold him on as a prospect where he had a better chance for a good home - they sent him to the most likely place to end up getting shipped.
    Aargh.
    Dee

I think besides the contract require visiting rights, go see where the horse will live and tell them you will come back in a month and a week and if he's not doing well, you will take him back and find another home.

Quote Originally Posted by Marli View Post
    This problem of horses being toted off to NH (or other sales), and horses that have been given away with conditions (a contract/agreement) seems to be on the rise in recent weeks.

Good article just published today- can be found here:

http://ottb-rescue-community.socialgo.com/forum/topic/6

I've a feeling that with the economy tanking people are becoming more and more bold and brazen to violate written contracts/agreeemnts. Horses have been bringing more money and the dealers have been scrambling to get as many horses as they can to ship to slaughter.

I can't stress enough- the importance of KNOWING who you're giving your horse to, including checking references, speaking to others that know the person WELL. Periodic calls and emails asking for dated pictures to know the horse is still where it's suppose to be.

Sorry to be cynical... but is that what Jack said? Does she have proof?
    If it is true, great... but I hope she does not go on just what he said if and when she mentioned a police report...

Sorry to be cynical... but is that what Jack said? Does she have proof?
    If it is true, great... but I hope she does not go on just what he said if and when she mentioned a police report...

Great news!

Default sort of off topic

But I was listening to the news the other night about the whole AIG issue and giving huge bonuses. People want the government to interject and make AIG give the money back BUT they can't because AIG had a binding contract to give the bonuses and that is protected under the Constitution. Why can't horse contracts be as protected? or do people just not take the drastic steps to inforce them because they're not for millions of dollars?

I think at this stage of the game, I would want to be more safe than sorry.
    Does the lady acually have the name and address in Tennesse?, if so a phone call and a road trip would be 2 worthwhile pursuits. Don'r leave it at the phone call!.