The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Now tell me about College Station, TX (or thereabouts)

This is my favorite place yet (in terms of horsekeeping)! Background: BF has been applying to grad schools and has been accepted to Albert Einstein (Bronx, I would look to live in Jersey), U of Pittsburgh, and now, Texas A&M.

For pretty obvious horsey reasons, I'm pulling for Texas.

I know that Houston is about 90 miles away, so that opens up the job market for me a bit. But what can I expect to find by way of boarding? I prefer pasture/field board (or dry lot, even - just out 24/7). I have Morgans, and do primarily hunters, jumpers, dressage, and carriage driving. What can I expect to pay for board around the area? Is finding a farmette to lease an option? Where would you suggest looking for these things (publications, etc)?

Thanks so much!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

One word to describe College Station: H-E-A-V-E-N!!

I especially miss CS this time of year when I know that it's blanketed in bluebonnets, and I'm staring at yellow weeds and red clay all day.

Lots of pasture board options, mostly self-care. I ran into a lot of places between 100-150 a month for a stall and pasture, you provide feed and hay. And there's always poor college students that you could probably get to do a lot of the work for you to make a little cash. I've been gone 3 years, so I can't guarantee that the places I know are still open or under the same management (on a few, I would have to hope that the management has changed!), but if you want I can PM you some info. Ask around at feed stores and they always know of some private boarding situations. And I used to get frequent emails from the A&M ag department of farmette type places for rent. College towns are good for renting, and the ag department is always a great source of info!

You will seriously love it. Even for "grown-ups" who aren't in school, College Station is just plain a GREAT place to live and raise a family. There's a park on ever corner, good stores & restaurants, decent places to work, and close enough to a variety of good cities. They even have a city park devoted to horse trails, and Lagacy Tack is about 20 miles up the road.

For an option a little closer to Houston, Navasota is 20-ish minutes up Hwy 6, and although a little less developed, might provide an easier commute. I seem to remember some decent boarding situations there, but I can't remember any specifics.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    One word to describe College Station: H-E-A-V-E-N!!

I especially miss CS this time of year when I know that it's blanketed in bluebonnets, and I'm staring at yellow weeds and red clay all day.
    My husband says the Bluebonnets are particularly awesome this time of year. There's a mile or two of them along highway 6. he's driving back and forth between here and Waco and he says it is the highlight of his drive.

I wouldn't count on the Houston job market, though. College Station is anywhere from a 1 1/2-3 hour drive to Houston (depending on what part of Houston you are going to) - especially during traffic.

CS is a great place to live, though, and we would like to move back.

There's been a lot of change in boarding barns - looks like Equestrian Park closed (drove by it daily when we were living in CS during our evacuees period). Cedar Trace also closed. But I hear there are a lot of new places.

There are awesome places to eat in Bryan, and loads of chain restaurants in CS. Housing is relatively cheap and easy to come by.

What is your BF goign to be studying? Perhaps we can give some advice on grad. school at A&M.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post

What is your BF goign to be studying? Perhaps we can give some advice on grad. school at A&M.
    Bah- this is A&M! No advice needed. Everything is PERFECT! Forget any other school. A&M is the ONE.

Heck, I've got this week off... I might drive down there tomorrow just for the fun of it.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Actually Equestrian Park is still open. I was down there looking for a barn this past weekend. I boarded there back in the late 80's when I first started riding. Its pretty run down and I dont have a clue about their pasture fencing. But the stalls are cheap, $80 per month, all self care and when I was there back in the day you could have turned a horse out 24/7 and no one would have complained. Another person on this board recommended Lochan Ora although I could not make it by there and check it out.

There are a quite a few places that are around other than those listed on previous posts.
    Pm me.
    I, personally would not consider Equestrian Park. Depending on who is running Lochananora -get referrals.

I'll name the few I remember... There was a place behind Academy... Hunter's Ridge or something like that... A bit rundown and self-care, but quiet atmosphere, good location, large arena with a few jumps, and I believe there was access to trails if development hasn't gotten them. A lot of students board there. Then way down Rock Prarie there is a place called "Best Little Horse House in Texas." Was a nice facility with a big arena, plenty jumps, adjacent to the park with trails, and a good price, but the lady who runs it is an absolute nutcase, and not overly friendly to those who actually ride their horses and socialize with other boarders... I'll spare you the details, but I would actually recommend it as a place to keep your horse for a while until something better comes along. I thoroughly enjoyed it for about 4 months- the lady is real nice at first, then turns evil rather quickly... A friend of mine still boards her 3 or 4 horses at a place owned by an older man named Becker, about 6 or 7 miles south on Hwy 6. The arena's small and has crummy footing, but it's covered and lighted, there's a nice 25 acre pasture that's great to ride in. And, last I heard my friend's horses were the only ones there, so it's very quiet. Topsider Farm is a dressage barn (with some jumping) that has full care or pasture board and has a website (www.topsiderfarm.com), although I've never been there. I've also heard of (but know nothing about) Royal Legend Arabians, On The Bit Farm, Steep Hollow, and Horse Haven... So even if a few have closed in the last few years, there's a good variety to choose from!

Edited again to say, I just realized I do know Steep Hollow! It just wasn't Steep Hollow at the time, but my mare's been there... I like Christian. A little out of the way, but not far. Does mostly hunter stuff.
    Last edited by archieflies; Mar. 18, 2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Edited to remove one barn name, because I realized WHO owned it! Bad Idea!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Default College Station

It's great, except for all those Aggies!

- SMU alum

Ditto this...

It's great, except for all those Aggies!

-Current UT Student!

Default depends

I don't know anything at all about boarding around CS, and my experience there was some years ago. Unless things have DRASTICALLY changed, it is a small town with the benefits and drawbacks of a small town that is surrounded by a fair number of miles of nothing on all sides (counting Bryan as part of CS and not counting Snook at all). There are some extra things because it's a college town, but A&M is hardly a mecca for the arts. If you're a country person at heart, you will probably like it more. Most city folks I knew back when weren't happy there, and even a big fraction of the undergraduates used to leave town on the weekends (except for football games). They were accustomed to horses around there, though. My soccer team would occasionally get chased off the field by the polo team. This is mainly reminiscenses, however. Better to get more recent information.

Quote Originally Posted by jcotton View Post
    There are a quite a few places that are around other than those listed on previous posts.
    Pm me.
    I, personally would not consider Equestrian Park. Depending on who is running Lochananora -get referrals.
    I recomended Lochan Ora - kept horses there for about 7 years, including a long procession of rescue horses, and it was wonderful.

Scary that EP is still open - I wonder if it changed hands? I went by a few months back and I swear there was a for sale sign... I wouldn't keep a horse there unless there have been some major changes.

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

The place you boarded sounds like one a friend of mine boarded at. Actually it was two friends of mine. They place looked pretty nice, but the woman turned nuts on them after about 4 months and drove both of them out. It seems like she would pick a person, get hateful, run that person out and move on to someone else...

I've been out to Top Sider before. I like the trainer there - she seemed really good. The covered arena was nice, but I wasn't super impressed with the barn

The woman who owns Royal Legends bred one of my horses. PM me if you want more info on that one.

I'll name the few I remember... There was a place behind Academy... Hunter's Ridge or something like that... A bit rundown and self-care, but quiet atmosphere, good location, large arena with a few jumps, and I believe there was access to trails if development hasn't gotten them. A lot of students board there. Then way down Rock Prarie there is a place called "Best Little Horse House in Texas." Was a nice facility with a big arena, plenty jumps, adjacent to the park with trails, and a good price, but the lady who runs it is an absolute nutcase, and not overly friendly to those who actually ride their horses and socialize with other boarders... I'll spare you the details, but I would actually recommend it as a place to keep your horse for a while until something better comes along. I thoroughly enjoyed it for about 4 months- the lady is real nice at first, then turns evil rather quickly... A friend of mine still boards her 3 or 4 horses at a place owned by an older man named Becker, about 6 or 7 miles south on Hwy 6. The arena's small and has crummy footing, but it's covered and lighted, there's a nice 25 acre pasture that's great to ride in. And, last I heard my friend's horses were the only ones there, so it's very quiet. Topsider Farm is a dressage barn (with some jumping) that has full care or pasture board and has a website (www.topsiderfarm.com), although I've never been there. I've also heard of (but know nothing about) Royal Legend Arabians, On The Bit Farm, Steep Hollow, and Horse Haven... So even if a few have closed in the last few years, there's a good variety to choose from!

Edited again to say, I just realized I do know Steep Hollow! It just wasn't Steep Hollow at the time, but my mare's been there... I like Christian. A little out of the way, but not far. Does mostly hunter stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pferd51 View Post
    I don't know anything at all about boarding around CS, and my experience there was some years ago. Unless things have DRASTICALLY changed, it is a small town with the benefits and drawbacks of a small town that is surrounded by a fair number of miles of nothing on all sides (counting Bryan as part of CS and not counting Snook at all). There are some extra things because it's a college town, but A&M is hardly a mecca for the arts. If you're a country person at heart, you will probably like it more.
    CS has grown a great deal (Snook has not! ). It has most chain restraraunts, Kohls, a mall, etc. Bryan is trying to revitalize and now has a monthly art show in downtown with wine tastings and such I believe. A&M has OPUS which brings in plays, operas, ballets, etc. About 5 years ago, we had season tickets and saw some great performances. If we end up living south of Waco, we'll be going down to OPUS shows again.

It is a smallish town, and so it doesn't have theaters, museums, tons and bunches of stores - but it has grown a huge amount, there's a lot to do, etc.

Besides, that kind of beauty in nature is what the arts try to imitate. Try looking across a field of bluebonnets and not being inspired.

But yeah, CS has grown in the last few years, LOTS more to do now. Who woulda thought they'd have ice skating? And depending on your taste, the free weekly concerts during the summer at Wolf Creek Park are fun. And assuming that the widening of TX Ave. is finished, traffic is probably much better! Yes, perfect town, Aggies and all... Maybe Sickofcollege would be Ilovecollege if she weren't stuck in loud, smelly Austin... being constantly attacked by that toasted orange color is enough to make anyone sick.

Anyway... Pattnic, are you lookign for a place with a trainer? I would assume the quality of the actual barn wouldn't be as big a concern if you are looking for 24/7 turnout. What are your priorities? What do we need to do to get you and that BF to Texas as soon as possible?

Oh, and if Snook still has Czech-Tex Steakhouse, who cares if it's grown up or not? Mmmmmm, can't beat a Chicken Fried Steak deal like theirs...
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Anyway... Pattnic, are you lookign for a place with a trainer? I would assume the quality of the actual barn wouldn't be as big a concern if you are looking for 24/7 turnout. What are your priorities? What do we need to do to get you and that BF to Texas as soon as possible?
    Unfortunately, the decision isn't really mine to make The BF is interested in studying the use of phage therapy as a treatment for tuberculosis, so he is in the process of deciding which school (and professor/mentor/advisor) is going to be the best fit for that. The prof at Albert Einstein is very enthusiastic about the BF being at AE; the prof at A&M has not tried to woo the BF quite as much. SOOOOO... can you get the prof at A&M to do a better job wooing?

As for me and my priorities, my first priority is to find a job! It doesn't matter how great the care is, or how cheap it is, if I don't have a job to pay for it!

I don't need a fancy barn, and I don't need a trainer. Mostly, I would like to be around nice people who believe in excellent horse care and who I can trust. Ideally, I would like to have 24/7 turnout with some sort of shelter... oh, and the mare is a bitch and likes to be around other horses, but actually turning her out with them doesn't work so well. Dry lot is fine. Gelding gets along with everyone, but is pretty much always the low guy, so not-super-huge group would be good. But we're flexible.

I wouldn't mind being near other English riders or Morgan people, but that's not a necessity.

As for the job market, Houston really isn't a bad idea for me. I already drive anywhere from 1.5 - 3 hours (60 miles) to get to the barn (depending on traffic, as I'm always coming from the same place! ), and in Iowa I drove 1 hour (60 miles) to get to school, so I could hack it. I would also consider being partway between CS and Houston.

I should know in a couple weeks where I'll be heading... I'm definitely pulling for CS! I'm a country girl at heart, and the city life (Atlanta) is killing me - I don't know if I could hack NY!

Oh, and Mapquest says I would only be about 4-5 hours from Morgan Nationals in OKC! Another definite reason to end up in CS!
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    I wouldn't mind being near other English riders or Morgan people, but that's not a necessity.

As for the job market, Houston really isn't a bad idea for me. I already drive anywhere from 1.5 - 3 hours (60 miles) to get to the barn (depending on traffic, as I'm always coming from the same place! ), and in Iowa I drove 1 hour (60 miles) to get to school, so I could hack it. I would also consider being partway between CS and Houston.

Oh, and Mapquest says I would only be about 4-5 hours from Morgan Nationals in OKC! Another definite reason to end up in CS!
    I don't think there are many Morgans in CS - but that may have changed. Check out the Brazos Association for Classical Horsemanship (BACH). They have also have ideas on boarding barns.

If you are going to go half-way between, check out Navasota (closer to A&M than Houston) or Hempstead (closer to Houston than CS). Those are probably your best bets. Navasota is TINY, but I like it...

Or perhaps Brenham (I love Brenham).

Morgan Nationals is in OKC, right? Probably closer to 6-7 hours, but still doable.

CGJ - I lied, you're right. OKC is about 6 hours... but still, that's a LOT closer than I am now (and even more so than if I were to end up in New York!).

The other great advantage of being in the CS area -- the A&M vet school. It's a wonderful veterinary care resource to have nearby. We take our horses up there (from Conroe) if there's anything unusual/mysterious going on with them.

The A&M vets are the Aggies the rest of Texas doesn't mind having around. (I'm afraid that any vet practicing in Texas who didn't go to A&M gets looked at suspiciously.)
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    The other great advantage of being in the CS area -- the A&M vet school. It's a wonderful veterinary care resource to have nearby. We take our horses up there (from Conroe) if there's anything unusual/mysterious going on with them.

The A&M vets are the Aggies the rest of Texas doesn't mind having around. (I'm afraid that any vet practicing in Texas who didn't go to A&M gets looked at suspiciously.)
    Add to that that the area has some fantastic vets. I STILL use Laurie Lipsey and Ilka Wagner (and I'm 2 1/2 hours away... we drove a cat up to Laurie Lispey at 5am once for her to treat her for us). Janet Marden is also good. And they're all willing to refer clients to the right vet at A&M if they need something 'above and beyond'.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post

Scary that EP is still open - I wonder if it changed hands? I went by a few months back and I swear there was a for sale sign... I wouldn't keep a horse there unless there have been some major changes.
    Oh, the for sale sign is still there!! And they want 2.17million for it!