The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default washing blankets

How and where do you wash your blankets. Want to make sure that the blanket is still waterproof after I clean it.
    Confused owner of ASB Johann(AKA Smith), Morgan Sebastian, and TWH Bach. Oh, and now Dora, buckskin mare

I do mine in my large capacity washer, one at a time in cold water. I use a product called "Sport Wash", purchased in the sporting goods dept at Walmart.... great stuff ! does not remove the waterproofing, but takes all the "horsey" smell out!

I then hang on the fence to dry, they turn out great!

I wash in a large capacity washer also (local laundromat). Cold cycle with oxyclean plus somesort of detergent. Dry on no heat for about 15 minutes, to get the dampness out, then I air dry over the deck at home, or on the yard... if I have too many blankets to wash at one time.

Once dry, I do rewaterproof everything with Camp Dry (the aerosol spray). Works well for me.

Note: I know you aren't supposed to use detergent on blankets, but it's never failed me yet.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I wash all of them in my front load Whirlpool Duet. I use the Rambo blanket wash and after a 3-4 yrs I start to re-waterproof them with Camp Dry. I'd rather re-waterproof BEFORE they need it than find out when the horse is soaking wet under his turnout that they aren't as waterproof as I thought they should be. I've used Camp Dry for 18 yrs and love the stuff. Last yr was the first yr that I saw the price go from$4.99 to $6.99 so I can't complain.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Please see the old threads.

Wash in non ringer washer like Maytag Neptune, cold water, delicate cycle, with cheap human shampoo like Tresemme, and then hang on a clothesline and let it drip dry.
    works for rambos, weatherbeetas and all others for years and years.

I have never had to reproof my blankets and I wash several times during the year. I never put them in a dryer nor do I ever use detergent.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I wash all of them in my front load Whirlpool Duet. I use the Rambo blanket wash and after a 3-4 yrs I start to re-waterproof them with Camp Dry. I'd rather re-waterproof BEFORE they need it than find out when the horse is soaking wet under his turnout that they aren't as waterproof as I thought they should be. I've used Camp Dry for 18 yrs and love the stuff. Last yr was the first yr that I saw the price go from$4.99 to $6.99 so I can't complain.
    WOW! Your horses leave you with USEABLE blankets after 4 years??? I am so impressed with your horses!! ha ha..

Quote Originally Posted by equusvilla View Post
    WOW! Your horses leave you with USEABLE blankets after 4 years??? I am so impressed with your horses!! ha ha..

Hey, it ain't the horses, it's the RAMBO's. They are virtually indestructible.

Considering that one of my previous horses, Chocolate (may he RIP), used to take his off over his head without unbuckling the buckles and grind it into the mud or snow!!! Actually, he only did that once, praise Allah! He did manage to bend one of the front chest buckles though but it didn't break.

A couple of months ago, I bought a cheaper Schneider's turnout for an old guy that probably will be euthanized within a couple of yrs max so I didn't want to spend the $ on a Rambo for him (he wasn't mine in the first place) and while the Schneider's TO was OK, it sure isn't a Rambo. I hope it lasts as long as the horse does.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Thanks for all of the great help. Where do I purchase Camp Dry?
    Confused owner of ASB Johann(AKA Smith), Morgan Sebastian, and TWH Bach. Oh, and now Dora, buckskin mare

I use a large capacity front load washer and Micro Tec blanket wash. They come out looking brand new ---if you don't count the tooth marks etc

Quote Originally Posted by sebegeld View Post
    I get mine at Dick's Sporting Goods Store but I would imagine any sporting goods store, like Gander Mountain etc would have it. It's for waterproofing boots and canvas and tents and the like.

I generally figure about 1 can per turnout but sometimes I end up using more. For instance, I'll have 7 turnouts to wash and 6 to re-waterproof so I'll probably buy 8 cans and have some left over for boots. Hope this helps.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by sebegeld View Post

Wal*Mart usually has it in the camping section.
    Or your local sporting goods store.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Have blanket cleaning service that picks up dirty blankets at the barn and returns them a week later all clean and bagged up for $10. I don't worry about waterproofing...all my turn out blankets/sheets are Gortex.

We use a service as well - but ours costs $25-30 per blanket! But well worth is for me! I previously did the landromat route so I do have something to compare it against.