The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ribbons in tail at dressage shows?

So I am sure we all know that the field hunter and H/J worlds have a code system based on the color of ribbons in the horse's tail -- red for a kicker, white for a sales horse, green for a green horse (and there are others I don't remember). Is anything like this done at dressage shows, schooling or recognized?

If things go well, I will be taking my mare to our very first schooling show at the end of April (not her first show, she has a fair amount of show mileage, but teh first for us as a combination.) I am planning to do the Intro tests, and enter Training 1 and only compete if the Intro tests go well. (She's looky and can be a bit hot, and will rear if she's really scared -- though she has never gone all the way up with me, mostly because I don't push her if she's starting to melt down.)

Anyway... she kicks. NOT people; her ground manners are very good. But other horses, especially geldings, running up her butt make her MAD. Would dressage folks understand the meaning of the red ribbon in her tail? And should it be removed before a test, since there won't be other horses right there?

Dressage folks will definitely understand the meaning of a red ribbon in the tail. I'm sure it will be appreciated in the warm up ring. I would just remember to remove it before your test.

hmm, I always thought the ribbon system was universal. I've team penned and done drill team with riders who put red ribbons on the tail of a horse who might possibly kick.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    hmm, I always thought the ribbon system was universal. I've team penned and done drill team with riders who put red ribbons on the tail of a horse who might possibly kick.
    I always thought the red ribbon was universal, too... It is in my neck of the woods. I didn't know about the white ribbon = sales horse, though... One more thing to look out for at shows. Quick!Someone hide my check book!

The red and green ribbons are a UK thing too. Not the white one though.

Here they're used for the likes of hunting when you are out in large company and merely to warn folks to keep their distance. Not used for compeition and most certainly not for dressage.

But maybe a good idea in the warm-up area, don't you think?
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Anyway... she kicks. ...other horses, especially geldings, running up her butt make her MAD.
    If you are heading to the recognized show, it is against the rules to ride a horse that you know is dangerous to others. If you are saying that you can not control your horse at any of the places on the show grounds, you are setting yourself up for the unpleasant situation. TD, judge or show management can ask you to leave. It will be your responsibility that your horse will not injure other horses. Warm up arenas can be the most difficult places out of the whole show. Many horses and riders have a complete melt downs there. If other horses will come too close to your mare, you might ask them to give you some space. I know some people who ride holding 2 whips and hold them almost parallel to the ground so other horses will not come close to them. However, it is still your responsibility that your horse will not kick others EVEN if they will come too close by mistake.

If you are heading to the schooling show - the rules are up to that show management, call them and ask.

There are many riders/horses that do not go to particular show just b/c they know they or their horses can not handle the warm up arenas. This is a part of showing.

While I rarely see them, I think most people understand (and appreciate) the red ribbon in the tail.

I used to show an OTTB who was a serious kicker/teeth-baring biter to horses that got too close to her. I used a red ribbon in the warmup, was very aware of surrounding horses, and took it off before the test - never had a problem. Someone actually thanked me for labeling a horse that could potentially damage her horse.

After about 6 months, the mare settled into being in a ring with other horses and no longer needed the red ribbon.

I have had two occasions where a rider (both young teens) rode up on my butt in a warmup with my current horse, who is very tolerant. It would have been BAD if those same riders rode up on the former horse. Even if there's a chance that a novice rider recognizes a red ribbon and steers clear of your horse - it's worth it!

Have fun at the show!!

Yeah, I rode saddle seat growing up and a red ribbon meant a kicker (haven't heard those others though), so that's pretty universal. You generally wouldn't actually see it in the ring, but at an academy show with younger riders and slightly sour school horses you would see it pretty often = )

I would definately advise a ribbon in the tail as far as schooling/warming up goes (not that people always live by it buy you warned them!), I was showing a hunter show once and put a red ribbon in my TB gelding's tail, he is 16'3 and there was a girl on a small/medium sized pony that wasn't controlling her horse and she kept riding up my butt, regretfully my horse kicked out and struck her in the neck area (this was after I tried circling, half halting to let her pass, etc.) but she just kept getting close to us no matter how much distance I tried to make, they stopped the class until she exited the arena and we went on to take 4th out 19, but I felt horrible, but I did clearly have a large red ribbon warning her, I walked by her stall later that day and she was fine eating a popsicle (thankfully!!) but I would def. put one in, I would hate to ride past someone and not have fair warning and injure my horse or myself or that pair because of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    If you are heading to the recognized show, it is against the rules to ride a horse that you know is dangerous to others. If you are saying that you can not control your horse at any of the places on the show grounds, you are setting yourself up for the unpleasant situation. TD, judge or show management can ask you to leave. It will be your responsibility that your horse will not injure other horses. Warm up arenas can be the most difficult places out of the whole show.
    Oh please. I am not *that* naive. It seems a bit silly to not show a horse because it *might* kick out. I simply want to give others a warning as I precisely do NOT want another horse or rider to get hurt. Especially with kicking, I do not have eyes in the back of my head to see another horse coming up behind us. Maresy has never actually connected with another horse when being ridden and I am much more careful now to keep her butt away from other horses when not riding.

The schooling show we are going to has a big warm-up area, which is part of the reason I chose it over others. And *of course* if she melts down in the warm-up area, I wouldn't force her to stay there. Poor horse has a memory like an elephant, and getting into a fight with her is so not worth it. I am pretty sensitive to her moods. That said, she was shown quite a lot before I bought her and did not have problems beyond the lookiness.
    Last edited by quietann; Mar. 20, 2009 at 01:19 AM.

I'm familar with red = kicker. (yellow is stallion in endurance but in the dressage world I'm pretty sure thats not a big deal)

I don't see any way that a warning ribbon would be a bad idea. It would be just a "word to the wise" type of thing. And it might help you clear out a space in the warm up.

While putting a red ribbon in your mare's tail for the warm-up ring might be a good idea, you might want to attach it in a way that is easy to remove before entering the show ring, since ribbons in the mane and tail are not permitted in dressage.

Section DR121.6- ...Any decoration of the
    horse with extravagant items, such as ribbons or flowers, etc. in the mane, tail, etc., is strictly
    forbidden. Braiding of the horse’s mane and tail, however, is permitted. False tails are permitted
    and if used may not contain any metal parts.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    But maybe a good idea in the warm-up area, don't you think?
    No I don't.

Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    While putting a red ribbon in your mare's tail for the warm-up ring might be a good idea, you might want to attach it in a way that is easy to remove before entering the show ring, since ribbons in the mane and tail are not permitted in dressage.
    My intention is to use a hairclip to clip the ribbon to the tail. (I know others who do this.)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    No I don't.

Not at all.
    And your reasoning is?????

Sad and sorry day when there's a bunch of folks in a warm up arena at a dressage competition that are too stupid to know that you don't ever ride right up the back side of another horse.

Sad and sorry day when someone takes a horse to a dressage show that is known to kick out for the heck of it.

Sad and sorry day when folks have to warn others that the horse they're riding is unpredictable and badly trained or bad tempered.

It's dressage and a warm up ring!

The purpose of ribbons originally was for when there's say a hundred horses out hunting and having a blast cross country after hounds in full flight. In the old days rather than having a ribbon if you felt someone was getting too close, you'd put one of your hands behind your back - that meant keep back and say because you were about to check your horse for a jump of ditch of something that the person behind you might not have seen. It also then came to mean keep back you might get a kick.

Then as time went on more got involved with hunting that didn't know the old ways and ribbons crept in instead. Red ones at first and to save you having to stick your hand behind your back. They became to mean just keep back you might get a kick. Then in came the green ribbons and most often on youngsters on the first days hunting and basically just to say "I'm sorry if I'm not always following the hunting etiquette but I've got my youngster here and as such it might be a little excitable". Now all this is in my lifetime.

Here ribbons aren't used in competition - or at least I've never ever seen them. I can well appreciate why too.

It's not for horses that are supposed to be highly trained in the relative calm of a dressage arena.

It's not for horses that are supposed to be highly trained in the relative calm of a dressage arena.
    Thomas, you've expressed what I was thinking. Where on the training scale is kicking at other horses?

Yes, the warmup ring of any show is a charged environment. Yes, we all have to get through that first show. But if it's still a concern that the horse may kick out at another horse, is the horse really ready, training-wise, for a dressage show? I'd favor another season of schooling if I were concerned my horse would kick at another in the warmup ring.

Sad and sorry day when there's a bunch of folks in a warm up arena at a dressage competition that are too stupid to know that you don't ever ride right up the back side of another horse.

Sad and sorry day when someone takes a horse to a dressage show that is known to kick out for the heck of it.

Sad and sorry day when folks have to warn others that the horse they're riding is unpredictable and badly trained or bad tempered.

It's dressage and a warm up ring!

The purpose of ribbons originally was for when there's say a hundred horses out hunting and having a blast cross country after hounds in full flight. In the old days rather than having a ribbon if you felt someone was getting too close, you'd put one of your hands behind your back - that meant keep back and say because you were about to check your horse for a jump of ditch of something that the person behind you might not have seen. It also then came to mean keep back you might get a kick.

Then as time went on more got involved with hunting that didn't know the old ways and ribbons crept in instead. Red ones at first and to save you having to stick your hand behind your back. They became to mean just keep back you might get a kick. Then in came the green ribbons and most often on youngsters on the first days hunting and basically just to say "I'm sorry if I'm not always following the hunting etiquette but I've got my youngster here and as such it might be a little excitable". Now all this is in my lifetime.

Here ribbons aren't used in competition - or at least I've never ever seen them. I can well appreciate why too.

Maybe all the shows you go to are filled with expert riders on "highly trained" horses, but my reality is that there are kids and novices and horses that are at their first shows and yes, the occasional horse that may be known to kick if another horse runs up its hind end. And certainly are not sad, sorry days. Almost always they are fun, happy days. I see no problem with some "fair warning" in the warmup area.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique