The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default getting the thingamabob for the whatchamacallit

Yes, highly technical terms, I know.

here is what happens when you go to the hardware store on a half tank of coffee, and still sleepy from a short night....

I have a chain link fence around the property, in good shape, with a double 'drive gate' but for some reason no hardware on it, so it won't really keep stuff out or in. So I am not sure what the stuff is called, and try my best to relay my needs to the lady ad the register. Blank stare. Thankfully the other gentleman in the area knew what it was called: A fork latch.

Ok, 50% of my needs covered. not that other dohickey I need, to keep the wings of the gate from flying open, so the fork latch can do it's job

negatory, the 'down rod' comes with the gate they sell in the store, and since they last forever, no need to stock them. I'll have to check the fencing place later. I6t's spring cleaning time, after all.

Now I need a hight adjustable light for my dining room. I figured I am going to get one of the utility lampshades they use on heating lamps in barns, spray it copper or so...wonder if tractor suply has them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

*snork* That's awesome!

We service mowers and my all time favorite calls are, Caller: "I need that part for that mower." Me, "Which mower, sir?" Caller, "I don't know, ask Jerry, he sold it to me 5 years ago!"

Fun fun fun.
    Last edited by MajMeadowMorgans; Mar. 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: additional apostrophe not needed!
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

I had to read this thread! I do the same thing at the hardware store and the mower store. I've actually taken a drawing to them, pointed to a part, and said that's what I need. Somehow they always seem to figure out what I'm talking about too. I guess they must take a course in 'Womeness' talk to work there!

Good luck with your gate and your light.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default Painting

I always thought that black paint was black paint. WRONG!! I ran out of paint while refurbishing my pasture fence a few years ago. I send my DH to Lowes to pick up more black paint. After I finished about a 50' section of 3 board fence, I realized that I had 2 different "blacks". So, I marched off to the paint store. (I'm a sloppy painter and I had paint all over me.)

When the clerk asked how he could help me, I pointed to a splotch of paint on one of my legs. I said "I need some black paint that is THIS color" and not the color of another spotch of black paint on my other leg.

It's no wonder my family won't go out in public with me. LOL

My favorite is when you DO know what you need and they STILL look at you like you're an idiot because you're a chick and you couldn't POSSIBLY know what in the heck you're talking about.

I was leasing a barn with some questionable wiring--ie: nothing was grounded. So I set off to Lowes to buy the GFCI box and a ground rod and other assorted crap. I had a list.

Show up and get the "Whoa there little lady" crap. Grrrr.

More on point however, I too have had to make trips to purchase things which I know not the name....like the chain saw rasp I needed for sharpening my hoof knife. I had SEEN one, but had no friggin clue what they were called. LOL I even took my hoof knife into the store with me hoping they could help. They did. But I felt like an idiot for a few minutes. When I don't know WHAT it is that I need, I go to the little ma and pop hardware store. They always figure it out!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    My favorite is when you DO know what you need and they STILL look at you like you're an idiot because you're a chick and you couldn't POSSIBLY know what in the heck you're talking about.
    Amen!

Even worse is if you happen to stop by the hardware store on the way home from work and are wearing (gasp!) heels.

No, gentlemen, wearing heels does NOT preclude a woman from knowing how to select lumber for her cavaletti, which blade she needs for her saber saw, or which bolts go with which nuts!

And I'll load my own lumber too - no need to stop your truck behind mine in the parking lot to offer help!

I once walked into the hardware store, covered with sawdust and chain oil, carrying the chain saw. "I need a screw to go in this hole," I said, pointing. They found one, in a special drawer under an ancient cabinet, with all sorts of unusual screws and bolts, etc.

Sadly, I don't think I would get the same service today. Virtually every store seems to be staffed by teenagers these days. No offence to teenagers, but they just haven't built up the years of experience that it takes to solve many home/farm repair problems.

Draft--around here, you can still get that at the smaller shops. There are two Ace Hardware stores I go to for just that reason.

Our True Value Hardware in town is TERRIFIC! Staffed by smart women who understand what you mean. They DO know their parts when you show the photos.

I could build you a phone system for a town, because I know the hardware needed to work with a phone system, poles wires, buried cable, getting it to the house. All the peculiar parts and their "pet name" along with the CORRECT name in the ordering book. Gate hardware names are something else, especially chain link accessories! Taking the broken part, photos helps a lot. Guys can do pictures, even if they don't carry them! Saves time, instead of watching as they turn pages in the book to try locating it. Computers are worse, one picture to a screen!

Try keeping the owners manual in a neat file system. You can locate the blow-up of parts, will make ordering easier with the number of the screw for chainsaw or mower.

You patronize the stores who treat you the best. Keeps Mom and Pop going, even if prices are a bit higher. Worth it for the great service they give.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    There are two Ace Hardware stores I go to for just that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Our True Value Hardware in town is TERRIFIC!
    Aww...these two quotes make me happy! I sell to Ace/True Value (a variety of wares....) In fact, I just got home from seeing the majority of the Ace retailers at a show in Las Vegas, and I'm off to New Orleans next week to see my True Value store owners! I'll have to pass along the compliments to them.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Well, if you bump into an Ace Hardware store owner from Holt or Okemos MI, you let 'em know they're loved!

I try to shop with them as much as possible...my only challenge in using them are their hours of operation. Lots of times when I need something on the weekends or in the evenings, they're closed.

But they're always helpful and have been a huge help on several projects for home and barn.

"getting the thingamabob for the whatchamacallit "

Ok, kinda offsides here but...

When I get to heaven and see the Lord, this is merely one of my many questions I'll have for Him:

How is it your brain can think of the word 'thingamabob,' whoo-see-whats-it' or 'whatchmacalit' but it can't think of the actual word for the item?"

I, too, love to see the faces on the hardware gentlemen when they realize "Hmmm, toots here knows what she's tallking about."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."