The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Unhappy The Bridge got two of ours, in one week.

Last Wednesday, my sweet Chesapeake was euthanized, after a long and wonderful life. At 29, we knew that he wouldn't last forever, but I wish he'd not have had to suffer at the end. I guess we all do, though. And it was so unexpected, since he'd been eating, and playing and hassling Heath, his turnout buddy, just the evening before.

And yesterday, after a wonderful 16 years with us, we sent our sweet dog Rocky to be with him. Rocky hadn't been well for quite some time, and things were just getting worse. We took him to the vet, who told us that his liver, kidneys, and heart were all failing, and it was a matter of time. To spare him the suffering that Chessie endured, we let him go.

And, ten days ago, I was in an automobile accident. I have some injuries, which have made me unable to either work at my new job (which I now have lost ), or take any kind of care of the horses.

A ray of sunshine? Somebody? Please? I can't take many more weeks like this.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I can't think of anything to say that could possibly take all that pain away except that this is the way its supposed to work. Euthanasia truly is taking their pain away and making it your own. Its the price we have to pay for all that love and affection over the years unfortunately. You did a very brave and wonderful thing for both of them. I hope you feel better physically and in your heart one day soon. Godspeed.

Bad things tend to happen in 3's so your due for good things now. So sorry for everything. Find something good to focus on and things will turn around. Focus on starting your morning in an upbeat mood.

Best of luck.
    Sandy in Fla.

Thinking of you.
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

The Bridge is busy this week, we lost our Rocky (horse) on Sunday as well. Know that we understand your pain, and I hope things get better soon.

Tif Ann, I read about your Rocky. Huge {{{hugs}}} and condolences to you, too. It's so hard to lose the special ones. Chessie was such a fighter, to the end, and so sweet through everything. I don't think it's fully hit me yet that he's gone, since I still expect to see him out in the barn every morning when I feed. Maybe he hasn't completely left yet? I don't know - I've had that happen before, too.

It still sucks rocks, though.

Well, yuck. I do hope things turn around for you now! You've had enough of the yuck.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Big big hugs to you.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Hugs to you. I lost my wonderful dog, Roxy, last week to a heart attack while she was romping with her doggy friends. I like to think that she's chasing deer and coyotes and playing with all her friends over the Bridge. I'm sure Rocky and Chessie are there, too.

Big hugs to you. Things WILL get better....you've definitely had your share of bad things for 2009!

In 2007 I lost an up-and-coming prospect to my a-hole neighbors desire to set off M80s next to my pasture (she broke her leg). A week later I lost my bernese mountain dog to "surprise" cancer (he was healthy and happy acting the night before I took him in for an unrelated issue). And all of this a month or so after shattering my leg at a horseshow and finding out that my husband had lost his job. I felt like I just kept getting kicked while I was down.

My advice is to chalk it up to the "bad things happen in threes" and focus on moving forward. In a way I was glad that everything concentrated itself in a matter of weeks because even though I felt like I wasn't going to make it through, I did, and things (OF COURSE) got better. Good luck to you

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Oh, I am so, so sorry. So much at once.

I wish I could say something to help. I can't. So I'll just keep you tucked in thoughts and prayers for now, 'kay?

I hope your heart and your body heal soon....
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

The first thing I thought was like another poster said, bad things come in 3's. I am hoping your bad stuff is now over. Sending many cyberhugs your way.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Aw I wish I was closer, I would come and help care for your horses while you are injured...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Thinking of you. I hope things are getting better.

So so sorry for your loss. It seems everyone is sharing the same sort of heartache. We had to put our good mare down just this last Monday too.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

ESG, hope things turn around for you, and quickly. Take care of yourself.

Godspeed Rocky & Chesapeake.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Default Sorry!

Just want to add my sympathies and hope things improve for you soon.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Well crap. I'm sorry to hear all that.

Sometimes you just can't get a break.

Ray of sunshine? I'm not sure I have anything that comforting to say that isn't corny, cheesy and annoying even though it might be true (this too shall pass...bluk. just can't say that to someone!)

Hang in there.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Unhappy

Thanks, y'all. I know we will get through this, but damn - doesn't seem like it, sometimes.

THen, with me getting into the auto wreck, I couldn't work and ended up losing the job I'd just gotten three weeks before. Can't catch a break, seems like.

ESG, my heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry you've had to endure these events one after another. In trying to think of a "ray of sunshine" it occurs to me that Friday is the first day of Spring. Perhaps a sign of wonderful new beginnings....

In the meantime, we are all sending jingles to you for healing emotionally and physically.

You will be in my thoughts

Donna