The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First fun ride in AGES last night

My mare has been on stall rest / unsound since some time in January, and while I love her sweet face, sometimes it's not a lot of fun standing on a hill in the February drizzle letting her get her hand grazing time then walking her spooky grumpy self around the freezing indoor for 10 minutes. I don't blame her, I would be spooky and grumpy too if I were confined to my stall for weeks on end.

A fellow boarder has 2 horses -- her own, and her daughter's QH gelding (daughter is at college). Gelding is 13, 15'1", chocolate brown, and dumpling shaped. Very cute. Mr. QH needs more ride time, and I need a ride, so we are going to spend some time together this spring while my girl convalesces. He was just a blast -- we hit it off and had a great ride, and when he picked up a canter when I asked for more trot, I just giggled and went with it. It's a win-win -- owner is teaching a very new adult to ride once a week on him, and the more ride time he gets, the easier he will be for the newbie, and I was missing riding and was becoming convinced that I'd completely lose my nerve and fitness while my girl was convalescing.

Isn't it fun when you hit it off with a new horse? It's like meeting someone at a party who you have tons in common with that you can talk to for hours.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

That's great Lori! I was wondering how your Katybug was doing.
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Hooray Lori! I was so glad to see this thread this AM. You've been so diligent in getting Katy diagnosed and on the road to recovery... you deserve a little fun saddle time!

Trying new horses is always exciting, you never know what you are gonna get! So finding one you click with is a real bonus. It sounds like a great situation too, for you, the horse, AND the owner.

Wishing you many happy trails this spring! And give Katy a snuggle from Win and I.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Lori B is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks guys! Katy is doing better, and the more I can graze her, the happier she is. But it was such a relief to get on a horse and feel like I sorta knew what I was doing last night. This guy is a character -- he chases the big horses in his turnout field away from the round bale sometimes, but is very willing and friendly to people.

We'll ultrasound Katy again in 3 weeks, and if all is good, start sloooowly bringing her back into work. And the important part, as far as she's concerned is that we'll start to re-introduce turnout too.

Original Poster

It wasn't a fluke, Little Brown Gelding and I had another great ride tonight. Somebody put some very thorough training on this boy at some point, cuz he is wonderfully responsive.

His step is small and quick. in a 45 minute ride I felt like I did about 2.5 times as much posting as in a 'normal' ride on my TB. Very funny.

He makes me all giggly. I want to write his name on my math notebook.

His other rider is a walk-trot student. I think he remembered that I would do more than that, because as soon as I got on he wanted to go go go! So I slooowed my post and insisted that he relax and work instead of lean and charge. But it went great, and he was whickering for cookies when we got done.

My hair was soaked and I was winded when we were done, but even though he is a bit furry, he barely had any sweat on his saddle pad. Dang. Such an energizer bunny.

That's great Lori! I'm so glad you found something, and what makes it even better is how well you two seem to get along! OneDaySoon was generous to lend me one of hers when Moose was laid up, and it did more for me and my spirits than I think I can ever express.

Original Poster

How is the Moose these days? Back in work?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    He makes me all giggly. I want to write his name on my math notebook.
    That is so sweet...maybe with some boxes where you check YES or NO?

Original Poster

Yep. Ha!

Or I'll start doodling pictures of him while I'm on boring concalls. (And really, all concalls are boring.)

He is the exact color of a Dunkin' Donuts chocolate donut. Not a white hair on him. And when I brought him a cookie after we rode, he was whickering up a storm. Too funny.

Moose was doing well, and I was actually going to see about jumping when the vet and I both came back from vacations mid-Feb. Didn't get the chance, though, since I obliterated my elbow two days after coming back. Then the week after my surgery Moose decided he should have a vacation too and caught his stifle real good . We took him off the banamine this week so we'll see how it is now. Hopefully at least he will get back to work so both of us aren't so rusty at the same time!

Original Poster

Ouch! How did you win yourself an elbow surgery? HR?

I have not yet had any equine related surgeries, aside from the perpetual wallet-ectomy that Katy is giving me. :-) (knocking on my desk)

Yes, HR but not riding. Was leading him through a gate, trying to shoo another horse from the gate, Moose stepped on the edge of my foot so I was stuck but I guess his big ass kept going! As I was getting up, he was standing there leaning down at me with a look that said, "What happened?! Why are you down there?". So, my boy now gave me the lovely present of a two night stay at Shock Trauma, with a couple of plates, a long pin, some screws and wires . I have been quite accident prone my entire life, but this is the first one that's landed me in the OR.

Glad you haven't had anything happen physically, but I can sympathize that the wallet-ectomy from the stall rest, etc can be just as painful!

Lori he sounds like just the ticket.

Your comment about writing his name in your math book made me literally laugh out loud.

It is funny how much get up and go some QHs can have. Funny little beasts, they are, but loads of fun! All I rode, up until I found a love for TBs in my 20s.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Original Poster

PG, OMG, ouch. Ouch, ouch. I have always hated dealing with multiple horses at gates, thought it was an accident waiting to happen. Add big drafty feet to the mix, and it's a wonder that more of us don't get squashed and dragged when our ponies want to get out to the grass.

Glad you are ok, hope you aren't setting off metal detectors w/ your new elbow hardware. Moose indeed. I can totally see him looking down and wondering why you were on the ground.

I was walking Katy in the indoor the other day, and she spooked and rose up in front at the sound of a horse moving behind her, and she wrenched my shoulder pretty good. If she had really taken off, I can see how easy it would be to get really hurt.