The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Bittersweet moment--two horses have new homes

I've been lumbered with two horses that belong to other people who do not and have not contributed to their upkeep. I've done feeding and hay and feet, all out of my own thin wallet for well over a year. One is a toothless old horse who needs senior feed to keep from being a rack of bones, and the other is just a nice trail, kids' horse with a darling personality.

The old horse's owner offered him to a local semi-rescue person, and she is taking him. After leaning on the owner of the other horse and reminding him how much he owes me for back board and feet, he has agreed and I have agreed that the younger horse (who is still in his upper teens) will go as a granddaughter horse and companion to the ancient one.

So this really is bittersweet. The younger horse has been in my pasture for more than six years and is a joy to be around. The older horse is a PITA, but he's entitled since he's almost thirty. They have been part of the daily routine for so many years, and I will especially miss Dakota, the younger of the two.

On the other hand, that's two expenses that are not eating my feed and using my farrier. And that is sweet.

This is a very tiny town, the woman who will be taking them worked for a vet and has the pasture and finances to keep them beautifully and really cares about animals. I've told her that I will take them back if she gets in pinch.

Her granddaughter is in the eighth grade and adores horses, so these guys will have a girl who loves them. Dakota, in particular, needs that. He thrives with young girls.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

That's great that the horses now have a girl of their own! It was kind of you to take care of them. You've definitely built up good karma for that!

When one door closes, another one opens

Good for you for being there for the horses, obviously to owner wasn't.

Good for you and the horses. You're getting a well-deserved break, and the younger horse is getting his very own girl. Every horse deserves its very own girl, regardless of the girl's age.

I hope the Karma fairies visit everyone involved.

What a wonderful story!

And what lucky horses to been in your care and now in their new home!

They were lucky to have an angel like you to watch over them. They are close and you can see them often...Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Good job finding them a proper home. No small job in this economy. Ditto on the horse deserving his own little girl.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Not to mention that, in confirming that the little girl will be soundly bitten by the horse bug, you are laying the foundation for a good home not only for Dakota, but for a generation of other horses to follow.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Which basically makes you a lot like a drug dealer. Only you are getting people hooked on having hay in their hair and pony dirt under their fingernails.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Which basically makes you a lot like a drug dealer. Only you are getting people hooked on having hay in their hair and pony dirt under their fingernails.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    This is great!! So glad I encountered my own "pony dealer" aka grandma early!!

Look at what you are starting viney!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Vineyridge -- thank you.

Thank you for taking such good care of these horses for so many years, thank you for ensuring that they will be going to a GOOD home, and especially thank you for telling the new owner that you will take them back if necessary.

Your post made me smile. So thank you too for posting it.

Oh, and Lori B?
    Got it bottled? I'll take a bottle for my niece...!