The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spring bulbs and other stuff...

I planted 50 daffodils and 6 irises around our barn last fall. I want to add more. Any suggestions for spring bulbs to plant? Pretty hardy is always a plus...

Also, we have an edge along the barn where the door is that is quite hot in the summer and pretty dry. It's under the eaves of the barn but again, it gets a lot of sunlight. I want to plant something along the edge of the barn there that is lush but loves it hot and dry and will come up every year. Any ideas? Flowering is always a plus!

We are in NY state so winters can be cold. Thanks!

Also, something the deer will not dig up and eat...Ugh...Or as another poster said like a cribber UNGH!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default I'm a little biased...

but I personally would plant tons of daffodils. Hardy, deer-proof, love sun, and hot dry summers won't much matter since they will have already fizzled out by summertime.

Of course, this recommendation is coming from someone who planted approx. 700 daffodil bulbs last fall...and will probably plant 300-500 more this fall.

There are always crocuses There are so many, starting with really early bloomers (I have some that start around mid-Feb) to later bloomers, so if done right, you can have blooming crocuses (or, as hubs likes to call them, crocosauruses) for quite a long time.

There are also Allium - members of the onion family, but without the smell They are also deer-resistant. Some can get very $$$, but there are several varieties that are really cheap. Lots of size choices too.

Gladiolus - you can even plant them this Spring. If you stagger plantings by about 2 weeks, ending around the end of June (here anyway), you can have Glads blooming until just about frost time.

Acidanthera is a glad-relative which looks quite different, called a Peacock Orchid.

Crocosmia - wonderful things! Needs to plant en masse though, as individual plants are not very full at all. But the Lucifer variety is a hot, hot red that just can't be beat. There are yellows and oranges too.

While not bulbs, they are tubers, I can't imagine any garden setup without dahlias These will start to flower early-late Summer, depending on the variety, and will go until freeze kills them back.

try cactus for the sunny side of the barn. he native species can handle the cold, just keep them dry in the winter. Opuntias are edible, both the plant itself as well as the fruit, they bloom pretty (ok, I am NOT quiet sure if they are hardy in NY...)

Or plant herbs. some might be only annuals, or need to come in in the winter, but most like dry and sunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

My first daffodil is blooming today.

I've had crocuses and dwarf irises for a few weeks, but we had a very mild winter this year. The hyacinths are just about ready to bloom. I've got several varieties of tulips and daffodils and since I planted a lot of new bulbs and replanted the old ones last fall I'm really looking forward to seeing where things come up. I also hope the new ones bloom. Thanks to where I live, gardening has a high failure rate (clay soil, high elevation, semi-arid, lots of snow)

Pictures of the plants as they bloom on my blog I really, really love my new crocuses.

Sedums, come in many size, colors, like it hot and dry. The tall ones can be clipped for winter, nothing to eat for the deer. Not sure if deer like the creeping ones. The creepers could cover the ground after bulbs come up and then go away. Being a succulent, Sedums do fine with drier condtions, poor soil.

A number of the plants JB mentioned are attractive, but should be considered annuals, in your NY location. Don't take freezing and come back. I only plant those kind in pots for overwintering in the basement. Glads also need digging up for winter.

Bulbs are a great treat in the spring, brighten everything up. If you plan to put in more, you might want to check for Bagfull pricing to get quantities. We have a local Nursery that sells Daffs in a string bag, 50 for about $12 in the fall. I get mixed Narcissis bulbs, which are varieties of Daffodils. They spread out the bloom times, give you a variety of flower shapes and colors. Most of my gardens are mixed flowers, no one plant beds. I find them more attractive and interesting that way.

Tulips are subject to rabbits and squirrels digging them up or eating the buds after sprouting. Lovely, just tasty too. Crocus are great, lovely colors, often spread gently if left in the ground. Allium are nice, with the big ones being my favorites. They also multiply readily, very tough. Come in purple, dark purple, and a rose/garnet color. You can often get Iris by asking a person. They would LOVE to clean out the patch, but have no homes to give the extras to. You could help clean, take the extras!

Daylilies are another really tough plant. Come in many colors and sizes. I would say to put a couple of each color in a spot, so they fill out faster in borders or rows. Anyone with the ditch orange ones, would probably let you dig up a bucket full free. I just dump those kind, plants or bulbs, on open dirt, throw more dirt over them and they take off. Dry doesn't bother them much once well started. I think the foliage is attractive too, very uniform as a filler.

Lavendar plants like dry and hot, poor soil. A row could be a small hedge edging. Smells good when you brush by the leaves. Nice silvery leaves are a good contrast. Take a little bit of time to get going, but don't be nice to them. They die or rot if overwatered or fertilized. Not sure if deer like them or not. The silvery Agastache, Hot Lips, likes dry and hot. Very airy, silvery perennial with cute red flowers. Hummingbirds like it too. Yucca plants like hot and dry, but some folks don't like them. Supposed to be hard to kill, but I CAN do it! Attractive spiky foliage, pretty, tall white flowers in summer. Comes in striped or shades of greens. Bulbs could come up around them, then the Yucca give interest the rest of summer season.

Sounds like fun, a new garden spot. Any leftover Daffs, I plant in the yard, scattered around. Husband says that "Some are escaping the beds!" as they bloom out alone. We just mow around them till the foliage dies back. Foliage needs to be left on, builds a good bulb to bloom again next year. Braiding and twisting leaves reduces green surface to the sun, so less food production. Not recommended anymore. Better to put other plants near, whose growing leaves will cover older bulb leaves as they brown away.

You can go wrong with sedums for hot dry sunny places.

Also - some varieties of low growing junipers are quite lovely in the winter - they turn a pretty purple color. I like Blue Rug and Blue Chip.

My favorite easy care shrub that is idiot proof, disease and insect resistant, deer hate it, and requires little to no care is.... drum roll please....

Blue Mist Shrub.

And it's safe around livestock. Well... not sure about goats. No guarantees there.

Oh look - a link!
    http://michiganbulb.com/product.asp_...+Mist+Shrub_E_

Default Hay

Let'sTalkAboutHorses said: "...700 daffodil bulbs last fall...and will probably plant 300-500 more this fall."

Holy crap, I was patting myself on the back about 50!!! Thanks all! I'm going to looking to Dahlias and some of the other plants mentioned...It's all going to be lovely against our red barn. The daffodils are just now coming up and I'm getting excited.

Another vote for daylilies. We transplanted several hundred from around the house (getting ready to renovate) and put them along one section of the perimeter fence where the entry gate to the farm is. They looked gorgeous last year and made it through our drought ridden summer just fine. After they are done blooming, you still have the attractive foliage for quite some time. I'm getting ready to dig up some more this weekend to transplant down at the barn somewhere!

For that hot spot near the barn, you could try Montauk Daisies. They flower like mad and love hot, dry weather and sandy soil (have grown some in practically straight sand when we lived by the water and have my transplants here who are doing well with only a bit of sand added to the soil).
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Can't go wrong with tulips - so far the wildlife has left mine alone.
    Along with the daffodils & crocus they come up early in the Spring and give me Hope

Dahlias are gorgeous, but if you are in Zone 5 or less they need to be dug up in Fall and that is something I cannot be bothered with.

For hot & dry I'd do daylilies - they are tough as nails, come in all sorts of colors and sizes & multiply every year.
    Try making a bed alongside your barn using composted manure - it seems to hold moisture better than just plain soil.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

The Blue Mist plant is a very good one to have, late season bloomer, bright blue, attracts bugs and birds.

However I would NOT recommend the Michigan Bulb Company as a vendor. They have terrible reviews in the Garden Watchdog, with tiny plants sent, often failing to grow after. Bad customer service. Plants sure not like the advertising photos!

Your local nursery will probably have much larger plants, that will grow faster, in all the same species and varieties, for just a couple dollars more. You can choose each yourself, get size and healthy, ready to go when you are ready to plant.

There are good plant companies to order from, but Michigan Bulb has a very bad reputation among garden folks. They just have great photos and huge advertising.

Shop locally at the Nursery places around you. Each will offer a different variety of plants, can give good advice to you about what that plant likes, to grow well. They WANT you to be successful so you come back to make your garden bigger!

The Home store garden sections, can be quite individual, with some having terrific plants and garden folks. While the same name store across town, seems to only have half-dead plants and bushes at full price.

I would recommend starting small, so you can see if you want to invest the time to jerk some weeds, keep it shaped up. Big pots are attractive too, can hold a variety of plants. They do need watering often, dry out in the sun. Don't need much weeding for the big color splash you get. I fill the lower half with styrofoam pieces or pellets, so pot is not so heavy with dirt, has GOOD drainage to prevent plant roots from drowning. Plants don't usually spread roots down that deep in a tall, wide pot. Big Dahlia might, but not the annuals.

Default If lavender isn't hardy enough

try nepeta or "catmint" which is indestructable, makes a nice purply-haze when planted in bulk, can be divided many times (I bought three plants 10 years ago that have turned into about 25 through dividing).

The only thing about tulips is that they eventually die out.

You could plant snowdrops on a southfacing hill -- they bloom the earliest (and I"m not far from you!) so are the first sign of spring here.

Also, a more unusual bulb is chianodoxa which is small, like scilla. I planted some 20 years ago and it had begun springing up all over my front lawn, which I love. It comes in blue, white w/a blue stripe on each petal, and maybe pink. I've found it indestructable and increases on its own.

Have fun!

PS My daffodils always seem to die out too, and I can't figure out why!

Walker's Low Catmint is a relatively new variety that is NOT invasive like catnip is. Love love the stuff.

Daylilies - mmmmm, deer and rabbits LOVE them!

Many perennials or tender perennials can live in 1-2 zones colder than they are ideal for IF you can plant them against a South-facing structure and can mulch quite heavily for the Winter. Glads and Dahlias are technically not supposed to be hardy where I am, but I mulch heavily and rarely lose one, even those that are fully exposed to all of Winter's elements. These Dahlias live on a very exposed raised area and just thrive, despite drought and cold
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D550/ry%3D400/

I had tons of chianodoxa at my old house and they sure were a sight for Winter-sore eyes every Spring So were little anemone blanda http://www.americanmeadows.com/Sprin...BlandaMix.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    The only thing about tulips is that they eventually die out.
    If you haven't tried the Darwin Hybrid types, try those. They are living quite a while even down where I am, where tulips tend to have to be treated as annuals

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    I planted 50 daffodils and 6 irises around our barn last fall. I want to add more. Any suggestions for spring bulbs to plant? Pretty hardy is always a plus...

Also, we have an edge along the barn where the door is that is quite hot in the summer and pretty dry. It's under the eaves of the barn but again, it gets a lot of sunlight. I want to plant something along the edge of the barn there that is lush but loves it hot and dry and will come up every year. Any ideas? Flowering is always a plus!

We are in NY state so winters can be cold. Thanks!

Also, something the deer will not dig up and eat...Ugh...Or as another poster said like a cribber UNGH!
    do you want tall or short or something in between? Most perennials have a short bloom time so if you are looking for color all summer, a combination of perennial and annuals is the way to go.

Along my walkway, I planted red tulips in back, with yellow daffs next and purple grape hyacinths in front. They all bloomed at the same time and it was stunning.

For perennials plants:
    tall: shasta daisy, black eye susan, cone flower, monarda, blanket flower. Turtlehead flowers in the fall. Many poppies are not perennial but are so free seeding they re-seed readily which makes them similar to a perennial, cosmos are free re-seeders. You can also simply collect the seed in the fall if you start with multiple colors and want to go to a single color. After a few generations you will have seed that is mostly that one color. You might also look at columbine (they come in single and double)

many vines are also cold hardy including clematis, grapes, Porcelainberry, honey suckle (some are fragrant, some not), and wisteria if you have a sturdy enough support and ivy.

then there are the medium height plants. Day lillies, some bulb lillies, hosta, astilbe and coral bells.

short...dianthus, sweet woodruff (actually a ground cover), some iris are dwarf, siberian iris come in both purple and white, lilly of the valley.

and there are shrubs...bleeding heart, butterfly weed, summer sweet (clethra), forsythia, Fothergilla

now that I have overwhelmed you....think about the fact that many flowers are beautiful....and attract bees. Do you want that at the front of your barn? If not there are many lovely non flowering plants too including herbs and colored vines or ground cover.

I love hyacinths.......they smell great! I gave up on tulips. I planted tons and every year a couple came back. We do have mole/vole problems and I think the buggers ate em all. OTOH daffodils come in a variety of colors and nothing ate them/the multiplied really well so I now have a lot of varieties of daffodils!! I have also done well by the day lilies.
    Coneflowers do well tolerating a lot and come back well.
    Herbs are useful to have for dinner and deer do not like them
    Deer loove Hosta plants so avoid them. (Ask me how I know...ha ha. Every day I would come out and they were a little smaller than the day before until they were gone!)
    Gallardia and morning glories are annuals but reseed themselves really well.

For more spring bulbs I'd go with tulips (they are cheap enough to buy more if something eats the bulbs), hyacinths and crocus. All early blooms and cheap to buy at feed store.

For the hot area on the edge of the barn I'd do daylilys. They are hard to kill and need no fussing around with. They come in lots of varieties too. I have the "plain" ones and I can transplant them anytime and they never die...and I've never had a problem with critters eating them (and we have lots of deer & rabbit). I even dug a whole mess up one year and chucked them out to get rid of them and now have a beautiful patch down in one corner of my pasture. I just threw them out there..didn't even plant or cover with dirt as I didn't want them!

Iris are bit more $$ but are virtually carefee as well once planted; I transplanted a ton of them one spring and they did fine. They are beautiful and my favorite flower.

daylilies cannot be killed far as we could ever tell. hereabouts they grow all over the roadsides, mainly near long-forgotten homesites but also wherever they happened to land. we pulled up and chucked a bunch of tiny fans last summer and this spring they are growing like crazy! in the trash pile! they love sun and heat doesn't seem to bother them and once they are established they kill off weeds, etc.

also daffs are just grand if you don't want to be a plant slave. we moved out a bunch last summer to install a cement block patio and this spring I have a daff we must have missed right in the center of the patio that has grown up between blocks and actually is moving a 24x24x1-inch block right out of the ground! so I guess they'd be great for you.

I love daylilies. They are hardy, drought resistant and beautiful. They also come in a number of varieties so you can plant a colorful border. I also agree about Irises. They are so exotic. I used them in a small Japanese garden I built outside a patio door and they were very pretty surrounded by big rocks and pea gravel. Gladiola is another bulb that is a late summer bloomer. They are also easy keepers and beautiful for cutting.

Default Hay

So I put down 32 Gladiolas and 2 of this other thing. I am going to get some day lilies for the hot part of the barn after seeing all the repeated posts about day lilies.

I planted the Glads in this area behind a white picket fence so they should be lovely when they come up.

To the poster who said their daffodils die out, you do have to fertilize with bone meal. At least that's what I do, anyone else?