The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In Search of Black Padded Leather Halter w/Chrome for a Morgan

This is tougher than I imagined! I already worked with a few tack shops and now I'm at a loss.

I'm looking for:

- Black padded leather halter
    - Silver/gunmetal/chrome colored hardware
    - I'd like the halter to be of excellent quality
    - Rolled leather is fine if everything else is perfect
    - 3/4" would be great
    - I'd like to order a matching lead line with no chain on it

Here's the hitch... I'm trying to get the right size for my friend's Morgan mare I measured her turnout halter and the back part is 38" around the crownpiece and around the jaw. It's 8" in the cheekpiece (the leather part, not including the rings). And her noseband measures about 20-22". So she needs a cob headpiece and a yearling noseband Or maybe an Arabian halter?

Any links or suggestions are appreciated.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I'd call up Quillin and ask them to make exactly what you want, in the size you want. They do beautiful custom work.

Default peopleonhorses.com

Try peopleonhorses.com

They have great halters and can make anything you need, their leather work is wonderful. We have a barn full of their halters. E-mail them if you need something you don;t see on their website, they are quick to respond.

If you don't want to go custom, the Kieffer Ulla Salzgeber halter in cob size might work. It has an adjustable chin and crown. It comes with silver or gold piping and high quality leather. I have the one with silver piping and get compliments on it all the time.
    Das größte Glück der Erde liegt auf dem Rücken der Pferde. Das größte Glück der Pferde ist der Reiter auf der Erde

I'd contact Bartville Harness in Christiana, PA. Call 717-529-6992 between 8 and 8:15 AM or leave them a message. They are Amish so they have limited calling times, but it's so worth it. They do great work and will be able to give you exactly what you want. Plus everything's extremely well priced! Their catalog says their in-stock halters only come in havana or chestnut, but they sell black tack so I'm sure a halter would be extremely do-able.
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

Thank you so much for your responses! Please keep adding names of companies if you think they might fit the bill.

I promise I'll update with photos of the black mare and her black halter when I get everything ordered
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I have one from these guys:

http://www.equestrianclassics.com/

Very nice and reasonably priced.

I bought mine at Rolex and they let me buy a horse halter with a warmblood crown piece for my freakishly proportioned thbd.
    Last edited by sisu27; Mar. 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added odd sizing info
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Hey Sarah, How about this one?
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...ctclassid=3155
    It comes in black w/ black padding and chrome hardware. Looks like a nice halter.

This would be my pick- Perri's makes amazing halters. They're a local company and most of our halters here at work are made by them
    http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...93.26206.0.0.0
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

www.jumpinconnection.com
    she has one, I saw it a the recent NFHJ show, and it was gorgeous!! I would have gotten it but I needed a turnout halter and didn't want something so nice since my boys destroy stuff.

I have to agree with Tabula Rashah.

I recently won a padded Perri's leather halter and matching lead - they are really nice!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quillins all the way! Best stuff I've EVER had. And even reasonably priced. And their custom stuff is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I have one from these guys:

http://www.equestrianclassics.com/

Very nice and reasonably priced.

I bought mine at Rolex and they let me buy a horse halter with a warmblood crown piece for my freakishly proportioned thbd.
    I was just about to say, try Equestrian Classics. I was checking out their website this AM.
    They have a black halter with rolled nose that I have been drooling over for ages.

They do cutsom sizes. Though I had issues catching them on the mail. Email response was VERY fast.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

After looking at Equestrian Classics online, I would go with them. Their stuff is beautiful!

FYI - "Arab" sized halters do not fit my Morgans well at all.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.