The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've been bush-hogging (via walk behind) a swampy area worry free....and so it begins. We have a very healthy rat, mouse, bat, bug, and snake population, and they seem to all co-exist in harmony. As such, they are all the enemy (well, the bats can stay).

Our cat has found out we feed the birds, and has given up mouse hunting for easy prey. I came home to a mess of carnage the other day, at least a wren, chickadee, and a beautiful male cardinal, all dead.

We have a squirrel sized rat living under the barn in an area I know the snakes frequent, so we shall see...

My landlord doesn't like to kill things. We've had a rat problem in the barn, so she put out humane traps.

These suckers are so big, it's taken the groundhog traps to catch them.

She then drives them to the mountain to release them. Me, I'd just as soon whack them with a shovel.

I offered to go hunt for a black snake to bring back to the barn, but she shot me down.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Default Thanks guys!

Now I'm going to have to go home and rotate the location of my mounting block. Never thought about it being a refuge for snakes before.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    But when I asked the NC State Biologists....they told me that we do not have cottonmouths/moccassins in this part of the state....we have water snakes (nonpoisionious/but aggressive)...the Moccassins are down more in the Fayettville/eastern part.....now whether or not this is true, I haven't a clue. Husband swears that it was indeed a moccassin.
    haha yeah biologists they are "all knowing" arent they?? Thats just like the ones in Maine claiming that we dont have Mountain Lions up here...hmm so the big brown cat with the 6ft tail slinking through my middle field must have been a labrador right?? And the one bounding across the road I almost hit one night? Surely not a cat. And I of course am not the only one who has seen them countless other have seen and taken pics of them and I think one farmer shot one and took it to the state...cant get more real than that but they still dont live up here...

Back to snakes I have NEVER lived anywhere but Maine and I dont know if I could live in an area with poisonous snakes and spiders!! Im sure i would adjust but idk something about being able to walk around safely barefoot or with shorts on with no worries about coming up on anything that might be venemous and dangerous....kudos to all of you that can do it...I live peacefully with with non-poisonous creepers up here

I think this thread is bad luck. I read this yesterday and today saw my first black snake of the season!

All this talk of snakes!!! I don't usually see many around here, but I see them when I go camping in PA. I don't like it

I could have gone the rest of the day and not heard that.Gosh I can't stand those things.They creep me out.
    Speak kind words,receive kind echos

Dalpal...Less copperheads in the midwest although we still have plenty, but no wolf spiders fortunately. I remember reading when I lived in NC that it had more poisonous snake varieties than any other state. Don't know if that is true or not. I do remember the time I opened my tack trunk and a black snake lifted up in the tack room inches from my face and said "hey, did you see where that mouse went?" To sat I about peed in my pants would be understating it...I started to run then remembered to drop my tack trunk lid before I left as how much fun would it be if it decided to investigate in there. I had to get a shovel and move that snake...but they do go after mice so I didn't want to kill it. Black snakes are good snakes....I remember my old eventer nosing one leisurely on the fence...basically just picking on it....the snake was irritated but slithered on out of there. Copperheads...ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmom View Post
    Dalpal...Less copperheads in the midwest although we still have plenty, but no wolf spiders fortunately. I remember reading when I lived in NC that it had more poisonous snake varieties than any other state. Don't know if that is true or not. I do remember the time I opened my tack trunk and a black snake lifted up in the tack room inches from my face and said "hey, did you see where that mouse went?" To sat I about peed in my pants would be understating it...I started to run then remembered to drop my tack trunk lid before I left as how much fun would it be if it decided to investigate in there. I had to get a shovel and move that snake...but they do go after mice so I didn't want to kill it. Black snakes are good snakes....I remember my old eventer nosing one leisurely on the fence...basically just picking on it....the snake was irritated but slithered on out of there. Copperheads...ick.

ROFL......I think in Central NC...our main concern is Copperheads. I do think the Moccasins keep to themselves unless you enter their domain.

Down east, I know for a fact that they have Moccassins, some rattlers, coral snakes, and copperheads.

Last year, there was a news story that said "Possbile Cobras found in Fayetteville" They dismantled a house deck, looking for them, but never found anything. There was never a follow-up. If they did exist, hopefully the winter got them.....as someone else had pointed out, doubtfully, the local snakes would teach them about hibernation, considering they eat other snakes.

I am thankful that I don't live in an area with Rattle Snakes...I think those are probably the most aggressive/dangerous towards horses/dogs.

I have two barn black snake stories....One was years ago.

I was pasture boarding my mare...we had a general tack room for everyone (it was a shed row barn)....the workers were mowing the yard....I'm digging for something out of my tack trunk....when "Sammie" (I find comfort in naming them. ) came slithering past my tack trunk....I dropped everything in my hand, screamed and went tearing out of the tackroom. Called my friend and waited 45 minutes for her to get there before I would go back inside...I know, pathetic. Poor snake, he was probably trying to get away from the mowers and then had this shreiking woman when he sought refugee inside.

Last May, I had been at the new barn for one month. Apparently May is snake mating season.....and that's when I saw the majority of snakes. I was walking down the barn aisle (center aisle barn with wash pits, etc)...talking to my husband on the cell phone.....Happened to glance over in the breeze way and saw a snake head and neck just hanging out in mid air....I went to my knees..OMG, OMG, a snake. Same friend who had met me years ago in the first snake drama, was in the wash pit and made me walk over to see him. Now, once I was close up, he didn't freak me out. He was kind of cute. He looked at us and then started moving his coiled up body away from us, but never put his neck down..he slid under the barn and waited for us to leave and then made his exit. I thought..Hey, I am cured, I'm desensitised..that wasn't so bad. Next snake I saw, I screamed and went running again. Oh, and did I mention that one was dead, he had been run over by the hay baler. I am pathetic.

Also, last summer...I'm out on the mowed paths in the hay field with the dogs....my dalmatian charges ahead of me and I see his nose go into the grass...and Up came a neck and head. Snake never offered to do anything, I demanded for Bandit to get back to me, he did and the snake scurried off. The snake was probably saying..."Lady, would you get your #$#*$%&$& DOG'S NOSE off of my back"

I know they are not evil...every black snake encounter that I have had has been "They are more afraid of you than you are of them" moments...never seen any of them act aggressively, even when they had the right to be.

But they always send shivers up and down my spine...I do wish I could get over it.

Up here in PA I have not seen any yet, but I have to tell you guys, I LOVE my black snakes. Great for rodent control, totally harmless and a sure sign of spring. I HATE winter so the first sighting of a black snake or a barn swallow and I am dancing the happy dance!

Default Whew!

No snakes under my mounting block last night. Will continue to rotate it periodically though.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Default The good news is .. .

You probably don't have cottonmouth moccasins, depending on your elevation. The bad news? We have rattlesnakes all over the Carolinas. You probably don't have eastern diamondbacks or canebrake rattlers, but I'll bet you a case of Depends you have timber rattlers.

Not to worry, though. Rattlers will, um, rattle so you're unlikely to step on one without knowing it. And they often deliver a dry bite so even if you're bitten you may not be envenomated. Of course, if you're like me, the ensuing heart attack may still be fairly unpleasant.

I WISH the danged blacksnake would show up! The warf rats are about to carry my barn away--I can tell you what the little rat moms and dads spent the winter doing ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Down east, I know for a fact that they have Moccassins, some rattlers, coral snakes, and copperheads.
    I concur Well perhaps not the coral snakes, as I've never personally seen one in these parts, but I know they're supposed to exist (but probably deep SE part of the state and not so much here). The others... I can personally vouch for their existence

I actually don't mind snakes as long as I know where they are!! I hate finding one unexpectedly and then having to quickly determine how much danger I'm in and whether I should run or....run. But if I see one easing by on it's way elsewhere, I'll actually stop and watch It's amazing to see how they move so effortlessly... with no legs!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    You probably don't have cottonmouth moccasins, depending on your elevation. The bad news? We have rattlesnakes all over the Carolinas. You probably don't have eastern diamondbacks or canebrake rattlers, but I'll bet you a case of Depends you have timber rattlers.

Not to worry, though. Rattlers will, um, rattle so you're unlikely to step on one without knowing it. And they often deliver a dry bite so even if you're bitten you may not be envenomated. Of course, if you're like me, the ensuing heart attack may still be fairly unpleasant.
    You owe me some depends...LOL

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects...r/Cro_hor.html

Default Yup

I used to live in the mountains and was hiking Grandfather once when I heard the distinct rattling. It was off to the side of the trail and we were being warned when we were a pretty good distance away. I suggested to my friend that we keep moving and stay on the trail.

The long lane to my vet's clinic has a causeway of sorts where you cross the pond. On my way out today, I spied Mr. (or Ms.) Copperhead sunning on the causeway. I squished him/her with the truck tires, then got out to make sure it was good and dead.

But, I love my black snakes.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I stand corrected. Do you really want the Depends, or shall I just buy you a beer the next time I'm up that way?

I stand corrected. Do you really want the Depends, or shall I just buy you a beer the next time I'm up that way?
    ROFL...a diet coke will suffice.

Yyou have timber rattlers.
    Yep.

Seen one out hiking. Sunning himself on an old stone wall.

I know because I put my foot on the wall to retie the laces on my boots - and he introduced himself.

I could have used that case of Depends.

(Didn't bite me)

I do love snakes, though. I really like to see a Hog Nose snake. Haven't seen one but I know they are around.