The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So Cal people, the cost of the renderer has gone down

Just got off the phone with a friend, who just made an appt with Jay DeVries, and he's now $200. Another friend paid Stiles $150 in January.

So, for the time being at least, that cost is significantly less than it had been. Good news for for those who are facing this, whether it is for sudden emergencies or for humane ends, and also for those who sadly need to have their PTS because of financial struggles.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Holy crapola. Here in Tampa, FL I pay $350 - $400 for the renderer.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Coreene is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

A friend paid DeVries $370 in 2006, so it has dropped considerably.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Coreene -

Do you know why the price went down? Here the price has gone up.

Original Poster

The least expensive one will come into our area now if he has time, so the competitor dropped his price. They were both down on the same day in January for planned euths. I was glad to hear it, because $370 two years ago was just such a shock.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Hmmm, I had to use DeVries 2 years ago and am pretty sure I paid $200. This was for a call to Lakewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    The least expensive one will come into our area now if he has time, so the competitor dropped his price.
    Thanks, Coreene. I agree - final costs can be quite a shock.

Oh - I like your sig line but it seems that Octo-Mom has hit the jackpot. I don't know what is more disgusting - her or the press attention she's getting. This am the news devoted geez - 20 minutes to her bringing two of the kids home, and about 30 seconds to world affairs. Bleh.

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Unfortunately, we are facing having to call Stiles within the next few days. We are located about 10 miles from Stiles who is located in Ontario, CA. The cost of dead animal removal for us is $150.00 cash. They don't take checks or credit cards. Euthanasia cost is also $150.00.....the vet does take checks!

We usually have an Emergency/Euthanasia Fund set aside for this. But, due to the downward trend in donations, all funds have been utilized for feed and recent vet expenses. We find ourselves in the postion of purchasing hay every 2-3 weeks instead of buying a full load to last several months.

In the past, $300 for euthanasia/removal was just part of operating expenses if you will. Now, it eats into the funds earmarked for feed. Tough times for everyone!!!
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

I paid $300 in September.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

and in SW Ontario, Canada, we are complaining it doubled to $150 in January because of the elimination of the government subsidy to farmers.
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Mar. 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added Canada

Original Poster

Well, then DeVries lowered it sooner than just recently. Last time I wrote him a check, on 6/1/07, it was $370. But no matter, it is $200 with him now. The reason I am posting this is because a lot of people think it is still the higher cost. I would hate for someone to wait on a euth because they didn't have the $$ when they thought the cost was higher.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

FalconRidgeEquineRescue Guest

I pay $170 per horse for removal and rendering. It has not changed price in 7 years or so. I use D&D Disposal in so. Cal.

When the time comes (hopefully not anytime soon) I was thinking of cremation. There is a place locally in Newport Beach that does it. It is expensive- about $1k but to me worth it.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010