The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Wait, is this the one 5 mentioned in a previous post?
    I mentioned the one Sarabeth was referring to. I find the new people here nice. (The PM wasn't anything to do with this post)

I thought it was the same stable but putting the mentioned places and the name together now I'm not so sure. Thousand Oaks is in Ventura county (Venture22). Hmmm.

Apparently there's a rash of high end horse moving to the humble stables to save money?

OP, do you treat the folks at your new barn, age/profession/price of horses aside, the way you just typed about them? If you do, I can't imagine they particularly feel friendly towards *you* either.

- Signed, a part-time groom/barn worker who owns a horse (?! can that be?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Apparently there's a rash of high end horse moving to the humble stables to save money?

Looks like it.
    Gunter Thede moved his horses out of LA to Malibu they are high end too.
    Plus the economy is forcing cutbacks everywhere.

If it will make life easier, OP, try this:

1. Be grateful that the facility you are at has improved since you have been there, rather than it falling apart due to neglect.

2. Be happy that your horse has good care, and you can trust your barn owner.

3. Be glad that you (in your old age , as indicated by you) are in good health and fitness to be able to ride and enjoy your horse.

If you are busy being thankful for what you have, it's pretty hard to let jealousy get you down that much. If you are lucky enough to have a horse, you are lucky enough.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    OP, do you treat the folks at your new barn, age/profession/price of horses aside, the way you just typed about them? If you do, I can't imagine they particularly feel friendly towards *you* either.

- Signed, a part-time groom/barn worker who owns a horse (?! can that be?!)
    They are letting uncivilized common riff-raff like yourself ride and OWN horses now? What is the world coming to?!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    They are letting uncivilized common riff-raff like yourself ride and OWN horses now? What is the world coming to?!
    God only knows!! A true crime against humanity, and my horse probably agrees with that!

I often ride horses that are NOT my own as well...I must be some truly strange hybrid of creepy 20-something.

Seriously, though, I love my farm in that it has all kinds; some like the OP who pleasure ride and maybe did some showing/clinics a while back, some "snotty" show riders with $$ horses (who are quite nice if you stop to chat with them!), some eventers, plenty of foxhunters...for the most part, all get along just fine doing their own thing.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Ahh. Hodge-podge barns are few and far between on this side of the border. Everyone seems to keep to their own little fiefdoms around here. I think if I ever decide to get into having an operation of my own around here, I'd like to have a variety of disciplines present in the stalls. Not that I could probably make it work that way but it would make things more interesting than the same-ole-stuff you find in most barns around here.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Ahh. Hodge-podge barns are few and far between on this side of the border. Everyone seems to keep to their own little fiefdoms around here. I think if I ever decide to get into having an operation of my own around here, I'd like to have a variety of disciplines present in the stalls. Not that I could probably make it work that way but it would make things more interesting than the same-ole-stuff you find in most barns around here.
    Definitely not an easy feat, especially at places where some people *are* competition minded. I suppose the fact that the main disciplines here are eventing and foxhunting makes it kind of mesh a bit (also a big Pony Club barn) as many people do both. The rest is a hodge-podge though and it's kind of fun to see what else everyone does, even if you have little interest in it yourself. It's spread out enough thought hat folks are stepping on each other or competing for ring time and I think that also makes a *huge* difference.

I agree with you though, should I ever have my own I too would like to have lots of different folks.