The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Broken Into...

Sorry pretty long
    This morning our barn was broken into in Langley, BC. All the doors were locked except for the main door where they got in. They kicked open the clients tack room searched through cupboards but didn't take anything. There were 11 saddles and bridles and absolutely nothing was taken. They didn't break into my personal tackroom, which was also the only door they didn't open.

There were checks for staff and trainer in clear view on the board, which they left. They opened the utility room and left the power tools and compressers. Opened up the arena door and went inside. As well as the outside door leading into the hay room.

This is the first time we have been broken in. While building our barn absolutely nothing was stolen, and the workers ended up leaving tools out and nothing went. We have two dogs that didn't bark at all last night. They were inside, but the little one barks at absolutely every noise he hears and didn't bark once. And our very protective lab that barks at noises in the night didn't react either but if you heard her bark and couldn't see her, you'd think she was a rottweiler or german shepard because she sounds so scary.

The police came out and thought is was extremely weird that absolutely nothing was taken. She told us that it was either a very minor break in or an extremely major one. They were maybe scoping it out and preparing a car that could carry everything or organizing a theft of the horses. There was also burnt rubber leading out of the driveway.

Has this ever happened before?

That's very scary. I suggest the dog sleeps in the barn for a while. Do you have motion sensor lights? I would put some in the door entrances outside so they flash on. Is there any way you could point them towards your house?

It does sound like they were planning a horse theft. Like they were scoping out where to grab what and what route would be the best to take.

That's really weird. I'm glad nothing was taken. Maybe they were looking for copper wire or metal to steal? Years ago I borded at a barn that was broken into and I had my saddle stolen. Thankfully I had insurance.

Did you see the alert that HCBC sent out yesterday? I hope my boarding barn doesn't get hit.

"Cars and barns have been the target of theft in the Lower Mainland, particularly Langley, BC. Thieves have taken wallets and purses from cars and barns and, in some cases, tack from the barns as well.

Don't leave valuables in the car or in the trunk and lock purses and wallets in a safe place. Anyone who doesn't belong at your barn or is asking questions, be suspicious. If you do see any suspicious activity, please get a license number and description of the individual(s) and vehicle and call the RCMP immediately."

we're putting up motion sensing lights and alarms up today. We were waiting until spring to put up our coded gates up so that the cement could set, but we called and are hopefully getting them today. We did just buy a corvette, so we are hoping that these people were checking if we were a grow op. But it just seems really weird that nothing was taken. if i was going to break into a barn, i would've atleast taken the cheques on the board.

The cop that came just informed us that our neighbours truck got stolen last night as well, but they did leave their keys in it. So we are thinking that these were amateurs, were in a rush, and didn't know anything about horse things. The police are going to warn people in our area. so be careful around 240th street and 32nd ave (south of fraser highway).

They could have been drug seeking. Maybe thought you would have something in your cupboards.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    They could have been drug seeking.
    bingo - this is my thought exactly. we've had some area break-ins where the medicine cabinets were the only target.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

How did they burn rubber in the driveway and not alert the dogs?

CRUD!!! You too?!?

One of the local BNTs barn was hit, but stuff was stolen (saddles, bridles). Our barn has been hit TWICE in broad daylight. The first time the trainer's wallet was swiped from her car, the second time they walked into the tackroom and took it from her purse stashed behind the door. Our BO saw it, and booted down to the barn but the got away.

The car matched the same description as the thieves that have been going through trailers in the Campbell Valley Park lot since last summer

I also heard something about another barn where the boarder's car keys were stolen, and they took the car.

This is crazy... between this and the gang war going on (for those out of the area... a couple of the local gangs have been busy shooting at each other - it's only time before an innocent victim gets caught in the crossfire), it's tempting to move back east...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    How did they burn rubber in the driveway and not alert the dogs?
    we're not sure how because our little dog actually barks at everything. If people come at a weird time to ride (past 8), both of them will be barking. Though it was fairly windy last night, so it might have covered up some of the noise, or made them less aware of the small noises. well we thought we would be pretty safe, seeing as at the end of our road is a hell angel, and a couple houses down the guy was in the ontario mafia.

They did look in a clients medicine cabinet but it doesn't look like they took anything. We still have to double check with clients but the bute and banamine was still there. but I have no idea what type of medicines they would be looking for/take.

Our suv/truck are at the top of our driveway with wallets in them, but I don't think they would have risked going so close to the house.

Yeah, my guess would be drugs too.
    They won't be interested in Bute or Banamine. They're looking for Ace/other horse tranqs and any equine steroids. yep, they sell equine steroids to wack jobs in gyms. Do a websearch on equipoise...it comes up on more body building websites than probably equine ones. The horse tranqs are for street use.
    FWIW...if they broke in so blatantly...they probably cased the place first. Degenerates aren't generally concerned with places inhabited by mostly females and that have little dogs. Might think about getting a larger dog? Little dogs are good warning systems, larger dogs are better at being actual deterrents.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Yeah, my guess would be drugs too.
    They won't be interested in Bute or Banamine. They're looking for Ace/other horse tranqs and any equine steroids. yep, they sell equine steroids to wack jobs in gyms. Do a websearch on equipoise...it comes up on more body building websites than probably equine ones. The horse tranqs are for street use.
    FWIW...if they broke in so blatantly...they probably cased the place first. Degenerates aren't generally concerned with places inhabited by mostly females and that have little dogs. Might think about getting a larger dog? Little dogs are good warning systems, larger dogs are better at being actual deterrents.
    We've got a big lab, that's very stocky. and her bark is very deep. so if you didn't see her you'd think she was a huge gaurd dog.

It sounds like they were interrupted, got scared, and made a fast get-away.

We were robbed a few months ago. In broad daylight.

A neighbor up the road was robbed a few days earlier.

Deputy said their department expects that crime will get worse. Judging from the blotter report, he appears to be right.

A lab should be large enough as a visual/audio deterrent I would think. Most thugs just see Big Dog and don't really take into consideration the breed too much, unless it's a standard poodle with one of those weenie looking show cuts.
    Since this was at night, try putting up a couple motion detection flood lights. Get the high wattage ones that you can land planes by...those work well to deter fools. But they'll drive you nuts everytime a cat, fox or raccoon set it off. (those do learn to avoid the motion areas eventually though)
    Break ins during daylight would really bother the hell outta me. That means either they're bold as brass, crazy as hell or know my place and my routine as well as I do. I have cameras, so that's a little bit of help. And have a GSD who barks his fool head off with any activity on the place. (and rewarded for doing so as annoying as that can be when I get the oil tank refilled) Other than that...I dunno. Bigger better locks, change up the routine once in a while, wear camo and put up a stand in a nearby tree while you clean your rifle?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

YIKES I am glad my bedroom is 50' from my barn and that I have three BIG dogs - one of which is ornery that sleep out there!!! I would check your horses for mischief or assault immediately!!!

I am so sorry you have had to go through this!

A large stable near Chicago I know well releases guard dogs into the stables at night. They are penned off property during the day so no one can befriend them. At 9 PM every night they arrive - and you had better be g-o-n-e! They are picked up the next AM at 7 sharp - except on show days when a night watchman/dog handler stays with them.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I know how outraged you feel! My backyard barn was broken into last summer and it has changed how I live. My doors are now locked during the day, and I am very defensive - don't want people to even come to my house - no more shavings guys, etc. It gives me the creeps to think someone was casing my property.

And the thought that someone took MY STUFF - I still can't internalize that one.

Like you - there is still a lot of stuff they left behind - like my golf carts - that could still be targets.

We were robbed within 10 days of moving to this place,. 4 Grand worth of tools and horsey stuff, but they didn't get into the house, only the garage. They also took about 80 T-Bars for fencing.
    We were definitely cased

We were gone from the house less then 1 1/2 hrs.

The insurance didn't pay because the lock on the garge was broken, but it shut, so someone had to know about it!!!

Get locks, get a barn dog.......things are only going to get worse.
    Horse drugs are a big theft item!!

Do you think it was teenagers checking out a site for their next party? Our next door neighbor's house was broken into by a group of teenagers who were partying. We also have had trouble with teenagers skipping school and smoking dope down by our neighborhood pond.